-Broadening My Horizons Need Your Suggestions-
Apr 10, 2006 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Etrips

100+ Head-Fier
So as of lately I've been getting into more and more music and want to enjoy music on a completely another level from the average person that stands next to me. And in doing so, I have decided to try and listen to other genres of music to help me listen to every aspect of beautiful harmony my ears can take. Currently I'm mainly listening to some Trance and Electronica with a bit of Hip Hop on the side.

So now, let's say you, the people of Head-Fi, the true audiophiles, were to convert someone to listen to your type of music, what would YOU RECOMMEND that I listen to for some samples? If you could list maybe a song to a few songs that would be awesome as well as the album of the song your suggesting and what type of genre it is!

Example : Armin Van Buuren - ASOT - Trance

Thank you all in advance ~
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 26
Jimi Hendrix, Are You Experienced album,

"The Wind Cries Mary" and

"Manic Depression"

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 26
Early 70's Brazilian psychadelic-samba-funk is the best!

http://www.allbrazilianmusic.com/en/home/home.asp
Great place with a lot of clips. Try listening to:

Gilberto Gil - Gil e Jorge (Ogum Xango)
Jorge Ben - Africa Brasil
Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare
Mutantes - Os Mutantes
Caetano Veloso - Caetano Veloso 1969

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 26
Daft Punk - Anything off of their Discovery album, most notably "harder, better, faster, stronger", "Face to face", "Too long", "Digital Love".

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 26
I don't try to convert anybody to my "type" of music anymore.. it just doesn't work, and actually tends to end in disaster. Unless a person already has something a bit more solid than a vague interest, I don't even bother.

That being said...

Check out 'The Blue Ghost / Shedding Qliphoth' from Maudlin of the Well's Bath.

Also check out 'Sentiment' and 'Textures' from Cynic's Focus.

'Be Together' from Bubblemath's Such Fine Particles of the Universe.

'Future Breed Machine' from Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve.

'Brooklyn Steakhouse' from Bumblefoot's Hands.

'Desert Search for Techno Allah' from Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante.

'The Perfect Element' from Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element I.

'Ballet Instructor/Dracula' from Upsilon Acrux's Volucris Avis Dirae-Arum.

'Ginnungagap - The Black Hole' from Therion's Secret of the Runes.

Various forms of progressive and experimental rock/metal, and some avantgarde stuff.. mostly.

edit:

One thing to note.. this type of music isn't meant to be listened to in samples and clips. It's very diverse and dynamic, with melodic and rhythmic focus points that can shift in any direction at any time. So, you won't get a whole lot of anything from a sample.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 26
Hmm...a few nice records that might convert you to classical...I think Amazon has samples:

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" - Szell/Cleveland or
Kubelik/Berlin , particularly the 4th (final) movement.

Copland - Appalachian Spring - Bernstein/NY, particularly movements 2 (Allegro) & 7 (Doppio Movimento)...I find these quite beautiful.

Beethoven - Complete Overtures (Zinman/Zurich); I love the Egmont, Coriolan, Consecration of the House (Weihe des Hauses) and Leonore 3.

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 - Furtwangler/Bayreuth

Handel - Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks - Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists

Beethoven & Brahms Violin Concertos - Heifetz with Munch/BSO and Reiner/CSO; the final movement of the Beethoven Concerto (3rd track on the CD) is brilliant.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 26
If you would like to try some 60s/70s pop:

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (the song "Cross-Eyed Mary" is quite a nice one)
Fairport Convention - "Reynardine" from Liege and Lief
Grateful Dead - hard to recommend one particular song, but "Cumberland Blues" is great, from Workingman's Dead
Gentle Giant (a great favourite around here, apparently) - "The Boys in the Band" from Octopus

If you would like to try some "classical" (now incorporating early music/renaissance/baroque/classical/romantic/modern/minimalist :p):

Hard to pick one track from any of these for obvious reasons...

Alfonso X "El Sabio" - Cantigas de Santa Maria (nice cheap Naxos one is good)
John Dowland - lute song collections (some reasonably good, cheap Naxos ones available for horizon-broadening purposes)
Claudio Monteverdi - Vespro della beato vergine
JS Bach - good things to try are the Brandenburg Concertos (many cheap recordings available) or the Violin Concertos (Andrew Manze on Harmonia Mundi)
GF Handel - Messiah: a great, majestic but accessible oratorio
WA Mozart - String quartets (I have an Emerson String Quartet recording of the Jagd- and Dissonanz-Quartets that is excellent, on Deutsche Grammaphon)
Beethoven - Symphonies 3 and 9 (The most well-known and accessible, and both are excellent too).

I'm gonna leave recommendations later than the early 19th century to someone who knows what they're talking about...

If you would like to try some jazz:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (must be the most recommended album in this type of thread)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Bright Moments, Blacknuss
The Swingle Singers - Jazz Sebastian Bach (just cuz...)

This was somewhat of a caffeine-fueled post so please ignore the rough edges...

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 26
With this one you need to be patient, but it grows onto you like a tapeworm with time
tongue.gif

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (Industrial)

My absolute favorite album. Ever.
eek.gif

Once you get used to it, its time to give time to his other works, such as The Downward spiral (which in my opinion is a bit poppier and more agressive).

The Fragile is IMO (in my opinion) a MUST HAVE.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 26
This is off the top of my head. If anyone wants specific disk info, let me know and I'll look it up. But I know this will probably not be paid any attention to, because "broad horizons" can be pretty narrow...

Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Any of the Tiffany Transcriptions
Cab Calloway - Early 30s recordings
Prez Prado - Best of
Carter Family - Best of
Louis Prima - Best of
Hank Williams - Best of
Raymond Scott - Anything
Dean Martin - Best of Capitol Years
Frank Sinatra - Best of Capitol Years
Kay Starr - Lamplighter Sessions
Sonny Rollins - Way Out West
Shorty Rogers - Courts the Count
Louis Armstrong - Hot 5s and 7s
Louis Jordan - Anything from Decca
Earl Bostic/Bill Doggett - Flamingo
Fats Waller & his Rhythm - RCA Best of

See ya
Steve

Apr 10, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips
So as of lately I've been getting into more and more music and want to enjoy music on a completely another level from the average person that stands next to me. And in doing so, I have decided to try and listen to other genres of music to help me listen to every aspect of beautiful harmony my ears can take. Currently I'm mainly listening to some Trance and Electronica with a bit of Hip Hop on the side.

So now, let's say you, the people of Head-Fi, the true audiophiles, were to convert someone to listen to your type of music, what would YOU RECOMMEND that I listen to for some samples? If you could list maybe a song to a few songs that would be awesome as well as the album of the song your suggesting and what type of genre it is!

Example : Armin Van Buuren - ASOT - Trance

Thank you all in advance ~
smily_headphones1.gif

While I am all in favor of broader horizons, I think you need to help me out here with some slightly more specific sense of where you want to go next (e.g., classic rock, post-war classical music, free jazz, world music).

Otherwise, as asmox noted, without a person already curious about a particular genre, it's really hard to convert them from scratch.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 26
From the Prog world:
Yes - Roundabout - from Fragile
Rush - Red Barchetta - from Moving Pictures
The Flower Kings - The Truth Will Set You Free - from Unfold the Future
Dream Theater - ALL of Scenes from a Memory
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere but Not Here - from Deadwing
Neal Morse - In the Fire - from "?"
Transatlantic - All of the Above - from SMPTe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back