Britney v. Christina
Mar 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #46 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're both old, it's all about Katy for hot pop princesses now.

The names may change, but the music stays the same...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #47 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who do you prefer?
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera

Why not just ask if we prefer Diarrhea or Vomit?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

OK. Which do you prefer diarrhoea or vomit?

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #49 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? Ah, I thought you'd never ask.

We are, most of us, elitist wankers. Aren't we? We disparage iBuds and 128kps mp3s, and (usually commercially popular) modern music. At least we do so publicly. Meanwhile, most of us (the loudest ones, perhaps) dare not subject ourselves to hearing tests (e.g., 128kbps v Lossless), would rather enjoy Bose (and Skullcandy!) if we were willing to put them on, and secretly listen to Kenny G. I think.

So. It's all very respectable here to make and vote and comment on threads about Radiohead and U2 and Coltrane and Shostakovich...but Britney and Christina? God forbid. But still, they are (or were, I'm not sure) immensely popular, and chances are, there are many fans of both or either lurking within our midsts. And I'm curious about who has more fans. There. That's why.

My vote goes to Christina, in her latest incarnation. There IS a lot of over-singing going on, but she does have impressive vocals.

Ha, great post! If a psychology student wanted to write a thesis on elitism, this would definitely be the place to do it. I really get a kick out of all the predictable and over the top responses.

Anyway, my vote goes to Christina. I'd rather set myself on fire and listen to Kenny G on a BOSE system than listen to Britney. Yuck!

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #50 of 97
Britiney with the caveat that it's from the days when she first started and was hot and you watched the hit me baby music video on mute...

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by PachmanP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Britiney with the caveat that it's from the days when she first started and was hot and you watched the hit me baby music video on mute...

You would hit either one on the worst day.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #53 of 97
Hah, I think there's no doubt that Xtina has the raw talent, but I really felt Britney's album "Blackout" from last year was very underrated. Taken for what it is and the circumstances surrounding her life when it was made, it's actually quite an amazing record. Britney always finds good producers and collaborators, very much the same way Madonna always does.

I do think the current crop including Britney, Xtina, LadyGaga, Katy could be upstaged pretty soon by producer/singer/songwriter do-it-alls like Little Boots and Marina & The Diamonds. At least, that's what I'm hoping (because it's cool to see pop singers who actually know how to step edit a sequencer!).

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by discoscience /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, I think there's no doubt that Xtina has the raw talent, but I really felt Britney's album "Blackout" from last year was very underrated. Taken for what it is and the circumstances surrounding her life when it was made, it's actually quite an amazing record. Britney always finds good producers and collaborators, very much the same way Madonna always does.

Your point about the quality of the production is very well taken. When the initial Justin Timberlake album was first out, some years ago, a friend asked me what I thought of it. "I like everything about it, except for the vocals," was my reply. He laughed, high-fived me, and said "Yep."

There is a deeply wierd sub-genre of pop music these days, in which the talent of the producers and writers is undeniable, and the "singer" involved is an afterthought. Think of Timbalind, Linda Perry, the Star Chamber, Ne-Yo, etc., on the writing/production side, and the eye-candy-that-can't-sing on the vocal side.

Have to disagree with you about Madonna though. She's a big, nasty, embarrassing jerk, oh yes, but comparisons to the current crop of pop-tarts are unfair. Go back and listen to "Borderline." Not the strongest voice in the world, but at least she can sing on pitch and bring some feeling to her vocals. She may deserve condemnation for giving birth to the current crop of non-singers under scrutiny in this thread, but Madonna belongs to the bygone era when, in order to be a singer, you at least had to be able to carry a tune.

I file Christina much closer to Madonna than I would to Britney.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #58 of 97
Have to agree, when it was no longer fun to stare at Madonna's belly button it was all over for me. Put her on a shelf. Now she looks like a character from a scary Tim Burton movie. Pasty wretch.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #59 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your point about the quality of the production is very well taken. When the initial Justin Timberlake album was first out, some years ago, a friend asked me what I thought of it. "I like everything about it, except for the vocals," was my reply. He laughed, high-fived me, and said "Yep."

There is a deeply wierd sub-genre of pop music these days, in which the talent of the producers and writers is undeniable, and the "singer" involved is an afterthought. Think of Timbalind, Linda Perry, the Star Chamber, Ne-Yo, etc., on the writing/production side, and the eye-candy-that-can't-sing on the vocal side.

Have to disagree with you about Madonna though. She's a big, nasty, embarrassing jerk, oh yes, but comparisons to the current crop of pop-tarts are unfair. Go back and listen to "Borderline." Not the strongest voice in the world, but at least she can sing on pitch and bring some feeling to her vocals. She may deserve condemnation for giving birth to the current crop of non-singers under scrutiny in this thread, but Madonna belongs to the bygone era when, in order to be a singer, you at least had to be able to carry a tune.

I file Christina much closer to Madonna than I would to Britney.

It was really not my intention to compare Madonna to the latest crop, but vice versa. I was simply noting that Madonna has managed to stay somewhat relevant today in large part to her collaborations with other artists and producers (be they Timbaland, JT, Stuart Price, etc). She's a very smart, shrewd businesswoman, and part of her skill lies in tracking down the right pieces to build up her name/brand (be they fashion designers, producers, fringe artists with limited appeal, etc). This has always been the name of the game for Madge. Britney has, in many ways, followed in her footsteps.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #60 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by discoscience /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was really not my intention to compare Madonna to the latest crop, but vice versa. I was simply noting that Madonna has managed to stay somewhat relevant today in large part to her collaborations with other artists and producers (be they Timbaland, JT, Stuart Price, etc). She's a very smart, shrewd businesswoman, and part of her skill lies in tracking down the right pieces to build up her name/brand (be they fashion designers, producers, fringe artists with limited appeal, etc). This has always been the name of the game for Madge. Britney has, in many ways, followed in her footsteps.

I agree with all of your points, and I didn't think you were comparing Madonna to "this year's model" (God bless Elvis Costello for that phrase). I intentionally made the comparison because, while she may have heavily influenced those who have followed in her footsteps (Britney and Katy most notably), she is clearly distinct in one very important way (at least to me): Madonna can sing. These days, that is an entirely optional asset.

The upshot of this is that, as Alice Smith sang, "fake is the new real." I have seen multiple refernces to how much the Obama children are into Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. I in no way want to bash a 7-year-old and a 10-year-old (whose family I adore), but oh good grief! These are children being raised by super-intelligent, well-educated, literate parents. And yet they are still taken in by this sort of cynical marketing. I have every faith that our first daughters will grow out of this, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back