British import mania-- it's like the 80's again!
Jan 13, 2002 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
My new shipment from www.secondsounds.com arrived yesterday. Secondsounds are a England-based outfit with good prices on used CDs that you can't get in the states. Service is fast and friendly, they seem to have used copies of all the new British releases instantaneously, and if the jewel case is scuffed, they put on a brand new one. All CDs I've bought are in perfect condition (over a dozen). They average 9 pounds each.

Every so often, major British acts stop being released in the states. This was the case in the mid to late '80's. You had to literally hunt down your music because it wasn't widely available, and when it was, you'd have to pay double.

Well now it's kind of the same thing. There's a lot of great British music that's not making it across the pond, so you have to go find 'em.

If you are interested in British Rock and you live in the states, I highly recommend checking out Uncut magazine (Tower Records, Borders has it). You get the world's best rock journalism combined with a free CD of all the best tracks from the best CD's released in Brittain that month. Indespensible reading!

So, anyway, this time I got:
1. Nina Persson: A Camp. Her solo debut. What a home run! I know there are a lot of Cardigans fans on this board thanks to fabulous "Gran Turismo" album (should be inducted into the headphone hall of fame). She made this record with the guy from Sparklehorse, a dreary Southern mope-rock-junkie "artist", but don't let that turn you off. I was nervous about this one, but this is Nina's record plain and simple. She continues in the same dark lyrical vein that made Gran Turismo so superior to previous Cardigan albums. A winner, and well-reviewed abroad.

2. Ben Christophers-- "Spoonface". This one's an expensive gamble, but he's supposed to be mind-blowing. We'll see...

3. Elbow- Asleep at the Back. Got this because one of it's cuts was on one of the Uncut CD's and it was great. A more emotional Doves, if that helps at all.

4. Pulp-- We Love Life. I'm looking forward to this the most. Produced by friggin' Scott friggin' Walker! How could this not have been released here? I love Pulp so much, I am the only person on the planet who like "This Is Hardcore" better than "Different Class".

Others I've bought lately:

Muse-- Origin of Symmetry. F8ckin unbelievable! The next big thing out of England.

Mansun--Little Kix. Previous album Six which is avail here is stellar. So is the follow-up.

Super Furry Animals-- Rings Around the World. The most expensive album ever made? You have to check this one out of you consider yourself a headphone freak. This is the crap! Pushes modern rock production to excess.

Luke Haines-- Oliver Twist Manifesto. Black Box song-writer solo album.

Echobelly-- People are expensive. So-so.

This whole situation making me feel nostalgic. Would my teenage self be re-assured or horrified to know that the 30-something me was still rummaging through the "import" music section to dig out those obscuro CD's that are oh-so-popular with the ladies? *Sigh*

So, what imports have you bought lately?

markl

Jan 13, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 9
Not a bad list, that..although I'm surprised your local record stores don't carry these..pretty much every major record store in Toronto stocks imports at competitive prices..well, unless they're Japanese-market only imports, usually with bonus tracks..those go for about a third more. Quite often worth it though. I'm a big Sparklehorse fan, but had no idea that he's collaborated with the chick from The Cardigans.
I too have had the pleasure of purchasing and listening to those Muse (although I wouldn't label them "the next big thing", Showbiz was a big hit as well
smily_headphones1.gif
), Elbow, Pulp (favourite band) and Super Furry Animals albums you mentioned. I'd also recommend you check out Ed Harcourt and Black Box Recorder (well, you already might have, if you've got Luke Haines' solo effort, but he surely can't have Sarah Nixey's voice
smily_headphones1.gif
).
By the way, We Love Life was released here in Canada a couple of weeks after the U.K. release; seems odd that the U.S. didn't get it as well.

P.S. Totally agree that This is Hardcore was superior to Different Class; a pity the record-buying public didn't see it that way. Oh well, I don't suppose Jarvis Cocker gives a crap anyway..

P.P.S. I'd add Starsailor to the list but their album was just released in North America and they've already played on Letterman, O'Brien and Kilborn..

Jan 13, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Vertigo

Muse is a great album, I like Pulp too but only their "Different Class album", don't really like Echobelly, not really into Super furry Animals but have seen them live in Glastonbury (while my bags was stolen back at the tent
mad.gif
) and Reading festivals.

If you want the albums when they come out, you can try www.amazon.co.uk I personally use www.cd-wow.com because most of their CDs are £8.99 and it's free shipping.

Jan 14, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Vertigo? Well, we both have R10s....

C'mon people, whose got imports?

markl

Jan 14, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Vertigo? Well, we both have R10s....

LOL, I've made that mistake before, too. Now that all you freaks are using the same avatar...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 14, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, after the metal and industrial/goth sections, imports are my first stop.

Some recent purchases (although entirely different genres), though mostly remasters: the Yes HDCD remasters, only a couple of the Zappa, almost all the Pink Floyd, ordered the Golden Earring ones, Rupert Hine/Thinkman...

...and, uh, Vitamin C. More.

Domestic Cover.

Import Cover.

I think maybe you see why I prefer imports.

EDIT: Fixed links to images (changed to using Amazon.com instead of AMG).

Jan 14, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 9
LOL, sorry, not into rock myself.
tongue.gif
Which is why you had me scratching my head there for a moment.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 9
jeremy,
Yeah it's not as good as Six, but it has their best song ever "We Are the Boys".

"We are the boys
Boys have got feelings too"

When it kicks into that huge chorus above, you just have to smile and give it up. That's got to be the emo national anthem (no, I'm not into emo per se)

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back