British & American Heavy Metal!
May 25, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 68
Guys, let me recommend the debut album from a band called Priestbird. They used to be known as Tarantula A.D. but they changed their name (despite no change whatsoever to the lineup) and the album, called "In Your Time" is bloody incredible. It's on the softer, melodic side of Metal, but definitely worth checking out. I can't stop listening to it - a mini-masterpiece of sorts (In my opinion).

61cCHXo+WqL._SS400_.jpg

May 25, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Seba! Glad you checked out Priestess - did you get the new (Sony) or old (FACTOR) cover? I absolutely adore that album, though it's a stretch to really call it metal. You're right, that first track is pretty relentless and the riffage is fantastic. Favourites off that one are: The Shakes, Lay Down and Time Will Cut You Down.

To tell you the truth, I got it off my roommate, so I'm not sure which version I have. It is a stretch to call it metal - I'm always torn between labelling it hard rock and metal in iTunes - I change the genre basically every time I listen to them. Do you know of any other bands that sound like Priestess? I'm really into their sound right now.

May 25, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any other bands that sound like Priestess? I'm really into their sound right now.

Nah, not really. They'e a bit of a curiosity when compared to their direct peers. Tricky Woo would satisfy some of that, especially the new album, as would the Illuminati.

Same vein of 70s inspired Rock, but with different flavours. Priestess takes the Metal edge, Illuminati runs with a southern-fried sound and Tricky Woo... well, they're all over the place. The latest album is more akin to Hair Rock, but their earliest stuff was more Garage inspired.

Can't go wrong with either, IMO and they all represent Canada.

May 25, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 68
Speaking of Canadian metal...

This one has thoroughly impressed me:

Into Eternity, Scattering Of Ashes:

628205.jpg

This band takes every single element that I love about Metal, and combines it into one amazing CD. I would definitely consider this one a 'Metal Masterpiece'.

For those hungup on assigning a Genre, they would probably be considered "Power-Thrash-Melodic-Death-Prog-Metal".

For those who like to keep it simple: They are a kick-a** Metal Band.

May 26, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 68
I haven't heard Scattering of Ashes, but I do have Buried in Oblivion and it's way too Dream Theater meets death metal for me. Great display of instrumental skill with some nice riffs throughout, but kind of bland and overall uninteresting.

One album I heavily recommend that's sort of related is Edge of Sanity's Crimson. Dan Swano is a f'ing genius.

May 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #21 of 68
Im not into pure Heavy Metal myself, I lean towards Trash.

Want toughest Trash Metal out there? Find something from Morbid Saint. They released only a one album somewhere in the late '80s. A cult hit, really hard to find. Its going to be re-released in near future though.

http://www.myspace.com/spectrumofdeath

Less aggressive US Trash, Dark Angel. Legendary band none the less.
http://www.myspace.com/darkangel

May 26, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #22 of 68
I'm with you on that one Maza, although my tastes are polarized - Gimme blistering speed/thrash or slow, sludgy and soulful.

In case this managed to fly under any of your radars, the complete, unabridged version of Sleep's Dopesmoker (AKA Jerusalem) was release a couple of years ago. Not for everyone, but it's a masterpiece for those that "get it". I beseech you to try this one out. Set aside 64 minutes and lay back in the dark, preferably blazed to high heaven (or was that hell?):

Sleep-dopesmoker.jpg

May 26, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #23 of 68
Quote:

I'm with you on that one Maza, although my tastes are polarized - Gimme blistering speed/thrash or slow, sludgy and soulful.

In case this managed to fly under any of your radars, the complete, unabridged version of Sleep's Dopesmoker (AKA Jerusalem) was release a couple of years ago. Not for everyone, but it's a masterpiece for those that "get it". I beseech you to try this one out. Set aside 64 minutes and lay back in the dark, preferably blazed to high heaven (or was that hell?):

Sleep-dopesmoker.jpg

Gotta find it someday.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #24 of 68
If you want to know about prog and black metal, this ain't a bad place to be. However, if you're at all interested in thrash, doom, and power/traditional you're best off somewhere else. this link is a pretty good spot for the other genres.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

good call on the morbid saint, maza. just one of the hundreds of underrated 80s bands that the new school of metal heads ignore.

May 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

good call on the morbid saint, maza. just one of the hundreds of underrated 80s bands that the new school of metal heads ignore.

Thanks. Its a shame this band never got enough air. When the album was released, Trash was turning to its hibernation period and taken over by Deathmetal. Despite their popularity as favourite warm-up band for famed band Death, I guess it didnt bring enough attention, untill now.

Im still looking for true Trash bands like them. Never got into Slayer and alike, for me they arent even near trashing enough.

May 27, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by citywithoutmetal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find any info on heresy but napalm death has never, ever, ever, been thrash. see what i said about this forum......

Yup. They were one of the pioneers of Grindcore before turning to Deathmetal. They were never Trash.

May 27, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

I can't believe I left off Megadeth. They were intrinsic in getting me deeper into Metal, and even Punk thanks to Mustaine's lyrics. Anyone know how their new album is?

I've listened to it a couple of times now and it's pretty disappointing. Mustaine talks too much in his fake, James-Hetfield-wannabe voice when he should just play music. A couple of songs have me nodding my head but I just hit 'next' on the rest of them.

And now back to the original thread topic.

May 27, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by citywithoutmetal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just one of the hundreds of underrated 80s bands that the new school of metal heads ignore.

It isn't the "new school" metalheads that ignore everything old.

It's the Hot Topic and MTV "metalheads", and I use the term "metalheads" very lightly to describe these specimens, for they are nothing more than trendwhores that will move on once the next best thing comes along. They are the malign anything that came before corn's first album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back