Bristol UK Meet?
Sep 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 23
You've not missed anything, the UK meets are always in London or further North as that's where the members are but there wasn't one this year.

What were you thinking, a national meet (rent a conference room, hundreds of people, contact vendors for sponsorship...) or something smaller?  I'm potentially interested either way, will be nice not to need to factor in the cost of a hotel for a change!

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 23
Yes there should!

I'm a couple of junctions/stops further South so it's even less likely people would come this far and the nightlife for any afterparty is lacking, but Bristol is better on both those fronts. 

It really needs someone who lives there to scout for venues as a starting point, though you can't pick a venue until you know how many people are coming - it's a classic catch 22.  Are you willing to do that side of things if we can crank up the interest?  If we're aiming big it should probably be next year, the adverts have begun and people are already preparing for Christmas...

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 23
Yeah, I'm sure we could do that.

Maybe the first step is to gauge interest and get a rough idea of numbers?

Of course, there's Sound & Vision - The Bristol Show at the Marriott Hotel in Bristol on 20th - 22nd February 2015.

Maybe we could tag onto that somehow? Seems to me that many people who might be interested might be in town anyway, as well as manufacturers/distributors who would be happy to demo kit for not much extra hassle/spend (no additional travel and accommodation etc).

I don't know if you guys do meets daytime or eves, but I'd suggest Sat 21st afternoon?

Could get a venue nearby, a conference room at the Marriott if there's one left or the main show might have an unused area? If a Head-Fi head honcho got in touch to sort something out, they might even be glad of extra content/visitors...

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 23
That could be a good idea or a bad one - if there are lots of people in town the hotels in the area might jack up their prices or even be full (I'm guessing, you know the area better than me...) but at the same time it could be good to have people in the business in town.  It's a shame they took the whole weekend, the day before or after would have been good.

I don't think there are any official head-fi people apart from Jude but smial1966 has organised a big meet before and says it's easy, he offered help to help in the London thread so it's probably worth contacting him.

Both the meets I've been to started late morning and finished in time to pack up and head straight out to find dinner, there was so much stuff to listen to this still wasn't long enough!  The lack of interest in this thread is slightly worrying though, we're doing a pretty good job of bumping it yet no other interest.  I've mentioned this thread in the London thread, hopefully some interested people are subscribed...

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 23
My mate Martin runs Audio T on park street in Bristol. I've talked to him before about a mini meet and he is v enthusiastic. 

I dont have time to organise but I can put you guys in touch with him? 

Dan 

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 23
Whilst there's an eagerness amongst UK Head-Fi members for an annual (national) meet to take place, there's also a crushingly apathetic inertia or malaise for anyone to do anything about it. Thus it's normally one brave/foolhardy soul that grasps the metaphorical mantle and organises an event on their own. Despite what others have asserted it is eminently possible to hold a successful UK meet outside of London, hence my 2012 event in Cambridge was well attended by members and financed by retailers support. If you need any help/support please PM me as I'm happy to assist if I can.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 23
@smial1966 I think the lack of interest in this thread proves that Bristol is too far from both the London and Midlands/Northern contingent.  Both Cambridge and Manchester (2009) proved you can leave London but going South West seems to kill the interest.  Prove me wrong people!

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 23
There's one problem with your plan musicday - no plug sockets!

If I'm going to travel further than you are willing to I'd like to be able to try everything rather than just portable gear, and I'm not sure how hygenic it is to lay out IEMs on a picnic blanket
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back