Bring back Wolfson chips in Apple devices!
Apr 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SmokeyThePanda

100+ Head-Fier
So it is just me,or do the old iPods with Wolfson chips sound better than any new Apple device with a Cirrus DAC? I've been using my iPod Mini 2nd generation (second iPod ever made) and I prefer the sound on it over my brand new iPod Touch 6th generation.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 17
Yeah I see they acquired them back in 2014 which is when the iPhone 6 came out. Never heard the audio quality on anything over the iPod 6 which uses the 5s DAC. I just know my dinosaur mini sounds rather good compared to it.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 17
2. Gen iPod sounded best imo. iPod 5G sounds pretty awful, I only use it for audiobooks.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 17
For me newest models sounds the best, against old. 
Yes, WM were little warm and melodical, but technically iTouch 6 sounds just right, with a lot of microdetails, good deep bass and longer treble. Only problem is power, if he would have more power (powerful amp inside) he will be a real competitor to all other Hi-Fi Daps. 
Used to be iPods owner since iPod 4G grey scale with all Nanos, Classics and Touches. I'm old, lol. IMO:)
Peace!:)

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 17
For me newest models sounds the best, against old. 

Yes, WM were little warm and melodical, but technically iTouch 6 sounds just right, with a lot of microdetails, good deep bass and longer treble. Only problem is power, if he would have more power (powerful amp inside) he will be a real competitor to all other Hi-Fi Daps. 

Used to be iPods owner since iPod 4G grey scale with all Nanos, Classics and Touches. I'm old, lol. IMO:)

Peace!:)

The iTouch 6 uses the exact same DAC as the iPhone 5s. I agree,it's definitely lacking some volume,but it's a pretty nice full sound. But the Wolfson chip just sounds better with the type of music I mostly listen to. Can't really explain it. It's definitely a thinner/brighter sound and less bassy. I'd go Wolfson for acoustics type music,and my iTouch for more modern/beat heavy music.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 17
The iTouch 6 uses the exact same DAC as the iPhone 5s. I agree,it's definitely lacking some volume,but it's a pretty nice full sound. But the Wolfson chip just sounds better with the type of music I mostly listen to. Can't really explain it. It's definitely a thinner/brighter sound and less bassy. I'd go Wolfson for acoustics type music,and my iTouch for more modern/beat heavy music.

I agree that WM usually has more warm and melodical side (fun), but technically CS iPods usually gives more info. I like a lot of hard music (metal genres) and CS gives me more info in music.
Power is ok, but good amp (i mean built in) usually gives better info and soundstage.
DACs is not the main part as practice shows, we can see for example Xduoo X3 vs QLS360 vs Shanling M2, which are based on the same 4398 but SQ is totally different, where QLS is a total winner. And still, even iTouch5 is a good sounding DAP, IMO of course.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 17
I agree that WM usually has more warm and melodical side (fun), but technically CS iPods usually gives more info. I like a lot of hard music (metal genres) and CS gives me more info in music.

Power is ok, but good amp (i mean built in) usually gives better info and soundstage.

DACs is not the main part as practice shows, we can see for example Xduoo X3 vs QLS360 vs Shanling M2, which are based on the same 4398 but SQ is totally different, where QLS is a total winner. And still, even iTouch5 is a good sounding DAP, IMO of course.

iTouch 5 was good. It and the 4s are pretty good overall. Went back and had a listen to an iPhone 3G. Sounded rather mediocre to the newer and old iPod models. Atleast we know Apple is improving the SQ with each generation. It may not be a huge leap,but who knows. Maybe in the future we'll have an audiophile level DAC coming standard in some iPod/iPhone models.

The thing about the iTouch is each new gen uses the same parts as the previous "S" model in a thinner case. So 5g=4s 6g=5s. When the iTouch 7 launches around 2017-2018 'm about 99.9% sure we'll have a bigger screen this time around with the components of the iPhone 6s. Including the 6s DAC,which I've heard the 6 models do sound pretty good. Haven't tried one myself though.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 17
iTouch 5 was good. It and the 4s are pretty good overall. Went back and had a listen to an iPhone 3G. Sounded rather mediocre to the newer and old iPod models. Atleast we know Apple is improving the SQ with each generation. It may not be a huge leap,but who knows. Maybe in the future we'll have an audiophile level DAC coming standard in some iPod/iPhone models.

The thing about the iTouch is each new gen uses the same parts as the previous "S" model in a thinner case. So 5g=4s 6g=5s. When the iTouch 7 launches around 2017-2018 'm about 99.9% sure we'll have a bigger screen this time around with the components of the iPhone 6s. Including the 6s DAC,which I've heard the 6 models do sound pretty good. Haven't tried one myself though.

I don't remember about 5G->4S parts etc. But all iPods sounds a little bit better than iPhones of the same year production.
On a blind tests people usually giving very high marks for iPods/iPhones, compared to the AstellKerns for example (and other "hifi" daps), when they are on the same volume level and tested phones are totally normal driven.
I'm usually adding IMO, because i like Apple sound, since a lot of years. Even now i'm using old Macbook and i still like his sound)

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 17
So it is just me,or do the old iPods with Wolfson chips sound better than any new Apple device with a Cirrus DAC? I've been using my iPod Mini 2nd generation (second iPod ever made) and I prefer the sound on it over my brand new iPod Touch 6th generation.

Wolfson as when there was a bass roll off? Or higher noise floor?

FWIW Wolfson was purchased by Cirrus a couple of years back.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Wolfson as when there was a bass roll off? Or higher noise floor?

FWIW Wolfson was purchased by Cirrus a couple of years back.

I believe that was already discussed in the 1st or 2nd post. Most notably the 2g definitely lacks bass though,there's no denying that. That's why I do indeed prefer my iTouch 6g for beat driven music. But I'll chose my 2g Mini for acoustics all day long.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 17
One good solution is to try warm sound signature phones to the CS iPods. CS usually has more neutral SQ, that is why some people are loosing a lot of emotions from the music.
Try some Westones and Sennheisers for example.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 17
One good solution is to try warm sound signature phones to the CS iPods. CS usually has more neutral SQ, that is why some people are loosing a lot of emotions from the music.

Try some Westones and Sennheisers for example.

I have a couple pairs of Senns. Those are actually the ones I prefer with the Wolfson! Not to fond of them on the iTouch.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 17

Apple stopped caring about audio quality a long, long time ago.  they realised it was cheaper to stick in any old ***** and just keep marketing it like it was good.

if you care about audio, you know there are tons of alternative options from Apple, just buy something thats good, Apple care about your money, not your feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back