Brilliant Classics Complete Mozart
May 4, 2008 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

classicalguy

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased the 170 disk complete mozart set on Brilliant classics for about $100 (yes, under 60 cents per disk), and I am really enjoying it. I've listened to about 2/3rds of it. If you like Mozart, I highly recommend this set. The operas are first rate, both in terms of sound and performance. The instrumental music is a bit hit and miss, but nothing terrible, and some quite excellent. I really like Klara Wurtz's piano sonatas, and Salvatore Accardo's violin sonatas. Jaap ter Linden's symphonies are period performances, and quite nice. Burt van Oort is featured on the piano variations, trios, and other works, playing a piano forte. These are interesting performances. While I prefer the ring of a steinway grand to the duller sound of a period instrument, the mix allows the strings to ring out a bit more for a different taste. All quite good. Piano concertos with Derek Han are maybe not world shaking performances, but certainly well recorded and enjoyable. The Magic Flute is a first rate Mackerras recording from Telarc, and the live Cosi Fan Tutti by Kuikjan is terrific. The operas would more than pay for the whole set. I still have to work my way through the early operas and the religious works. Quite a bargain.

May 4, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 3
It is quite great isn't it? I was lucky enough to get it on a one day sale for $80 and have since picked up the 60 disc Beethoven and a used out of print 40 CD Bach collection by Brilliant. Great way to expand your exposure quickly and performs overall much better than can be expected at this price point. I'm ashamed to say I still have much to listen to for the first time.

Keep an eye out on Amazon for deals on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back