Bright IEM/bud to apir with Sony a81x
Feb 14, 2008 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

novasol

Head-Fier
*posted in headphone forum, better suited here*

Well after listening to my new sony a818 for a few weeks now, I've decided I don't like it's overly warmness. Well, actually I like the warmth, but not the laid back sound that seems to go with it. I am using the stock phones that came with it, but I don' t find them to be the issue. I guess I'm looking for an IEM/bud/canalphone that will bring the soundstage more forward, more in the face...

My favorite matchup for home gear is NAD components with PSB/Paradigm speakers(Canadian). The NAD is warm but forward, PSB speakers tend to be nuetral/bright and a little forward, with a very tight, fast sound. That's what I miss, this sound with more air, brighter, more defined. Some audiphiles may even consider my taste to be a little on the harsh side...

I'm thinking of getting Denon c700's and wondering if these will match my wants? All suggestions please?

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 16
second the ER6i. i have the s618. Oooo what a match!
cool.gif

i use volume level 14-15 for the radio and 16-17 for music and it goes up to 30.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Another vote for the ER6i. Pairs well with EQ'able players, and is bright without being screetchy (excellent isolation -- I like Comply and Shure foamies, YMMV -- which can be a plus if you have a particularly nice-sounding player). And an excellent value.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 16
Damn, it's like the Sony was made for the ER6i case.....NICE
biggrin.gif

Any experience with Denon C700's compared to the ER6i's? (I really want to like these phones after all the awesome reviews on the site..lol)

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 16
Etymotic ER4P pairs wonderfully with the Sony A818.

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 16
Difference between the ER4p and ER6i?

I've read conflicting opinions, some say ER4p is more detailed with more air and forward sounding treble..others opinions I've read say the ER4p is warmer sounding.
confused.gif

I wish I could just audition a few phones

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Difference between the ER4p and ER6i?

I've read conflicting opinions, some say ER4p is more detailed with more air and forward sounding treble..others opinions I've read say the ER4p is warmer sounding.
confused.gif

I wish I could just audition a few phones

I just know that this set up is the most balanced top to bottom I have heard in a portable. I wish I could find speakers that sound this good.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just know that this set up is the most balanced top to bottom I have heard in a portable. I wish I could find speakers that sound this good.

Which?

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which?

A818 w/ Etymotic ER4P

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Bump in the quest for more info

Ok, so I'm down to the ER6i's or the ER4p's. Now the Audi Technica line has me intrigued. I know they are buds, but the ATH-CM700's and the EC700's have good reviews and comments about their detail and clarity.

Anybody A and B these? I'm really looking for the most detailed clear sounding phone.

EDIT: I realize what I'm looking for are phones to tighten the wide soundstage of the Sony, brighten the warmth a bit... giving me a faster, analytical, detailed sound that lends itself well to pop/rock..I also listen to vocal Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Jewel, James Taylor and I want to hear them up front and center, I want goosebumps when Sinead O'Conner come on in Nothing Compare 2 U...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back