Bright Headphone for female vocals
Mar 27, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #16 of 44
I once heard from an Audio Technica die hard fan that I should just consider getting a used ad2000 instead of the X version
That brings me a question, is there any difference other than one open back and one close back?

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 44
I havent heard the 2000x so i cant comment on the difference 1st hand,but from what Ive read theres no comparison.

The originals have been hard to come by for several years,but they do occasionally pop up in the used section,but be ready to pounce,as they dont typically last too long.

Funny thing...i dont even listen to much female vocals,bought them for metal,as theyre also extremely fast headphones,but I will say the first time I heard Rhiannon thru them I literally got a chill up my spine,and said out loud "Oh My"

They really are nice for female vocals!

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 44
Actually both the ad2000 and the ad2000x are open back headphones. You're probably thinking of the a2000/a2000x, which are the closed back versions (confusing, I know).

From reviews I've read, the main difference between the old and new versions is that the ad2000x has a slightly stronger bass response and the mids aren't quite as forward as the ad2000. It's not worse per say, just different.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 44
there is a pair of ATH AD2000s for sale right now

http://www.head-fi.org/t/800225/ad2000-original-box-included

400.00 is a bit steep IMO,but it is a sellers market with these phones.

I would also verify that these are the originals and not the 2000x version before buying.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #20 of 44
Hmm, not sure if I want the original one but I just shot him a PM
I am thinking about post a trade of my HE-400i for 2000x now just to test it out

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #21 of 44
I must apologise, Eudemon369, I made the DT recommendations with a preconceived notion of what Japanese/Anime music sounds like. Although I'm not back-pedalling on the fact that the DT's are great headphones IMO, I think based on the link you shared, you're looking for something else entirely with a more present mid-and-upper-mid range.

I'd recommend giving the Grado line a shot, as they're known for their forward lower-treble/upper-mids, AND they also have great value. The Audio-Technica MSR7 also fits your preferences IMO, and can also be used portably. I read Me x3 recommended the K702 above and although I can't vouch for it fully just because I haven't heard it yet, I have a pair of the K612's and they are neutral/flat with a drier, leaner presentation; I don't know if that fits your bill, but I hope it helps regardless.

Anyways, as with anything on this forum, YMMV. Good luck on the hunt!

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 44
Hey look another weeb!
Let me drag you over to the AAMML thread where you'll get better answers. http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge/165045#post_12458022

The guys there have the thread marked on their mobile so you should get near instant replies there.

If you don't expect too much bass and don't mind a little heft, the best price:performance system for mids is a stax sr2170 system. If you want a lighter solution: Mio Akiyama recommends an AKG K701 with a good amp/dac. Otherwise, Miyuki would recommend and AKG Q701 if you want more bass and warmth.

No I'm not kidding. I own all the systems above and I disliked any other solution. Granted I do listen to higher octave vocals like nanoripe, kano, hana kana, reol to classical renditions, jazz and etc.

Mids and bass don't mix well together unless if you want a more smooth lush presentation like sennheiser hd600's. The AKG and STAX are vibrant and clear, with the expense of sounding a bit more analytical.

I do recommend posting a question in the thread I linked though.

I can't recommend hd800's because your ears will bleed with jpoprock, and he400i's are disappointing with upper mids and lower treble presence.

The guys at the AAMML forum do also recommend any Audio Technica headphone except the M50 so you could ask them about that.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #23 of 44
  I must apologise, Eudemon369, I made the DT recommendations with a preconceived notion of what Japanese/Anime music sounds like. Although I'm not back-pedalling on the fact that the DT's are great headphones IMO, I think based on the link you shared, you're looking for something else entirely with a more present mid-and-upper-mid range.

I'd recommend giving the Grado line a shot, as they're known for their forward lower-treble/upper-mids, AND they also have great value. The Audio-Technica MSR7 also fits your preferences IMO, and can also be used portably. I read Me x3 recommended the K702 above and although I can't vouch for it fully just because I haven't heard it yet, I have a pair of the K612's and they are neutral/flat with a drier, leaner presentation; I don't know if that fits your bill, but I hope it helps regardless.

Anyways, as with anything on this forum, YMMV. Good luck on the hunt!

No need to apology, I am really thankful for your help, as most people don't follow the comments
This is really helpful community
As for K702, Since I already have pricier headphone HE-400i, buying those feel like downgrading (again my dumb average consumer thinking)
As for MSR7, I was shocked by how good they are for my genre when I first tried it, altho due to comfort issue, in the end I still went for momentum 2 for portable use
(This is reason why I like Audio Technica, I also had CKR9 but returned due to it hurting my ear canal, they sound good but their build is not good and fatiguing)

Hey look another weeb!
Let me drag you over to the AAMML thread where you'll get better answers. http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge/165045#post_12458022

The guys there have the thread marked on their mobile so you should get near instant replies there.

If you don't expect too much bass and don't mind a little heft, the best price:performance system for mids is a stax sr2170 system. If you want a lighter solution: Mio Akiyama recommends an AKG K701 with a good amp/dac. Otherwise, Miyuki would recommend and AKG Q701 if you want more bass and warmth.

No I'm not kidding. I own all the systems above and I disliked any other solution. Granted I do listen to higher octave vocals like nanoripe, kano, hana kana, reol to classical renditions, jazz and etc.

Mids and bass don't mix well together unless if you want a more smooth lush presentation like sennheiser hd600's. The AKG and STAX are vibrant and clear, with the expense of sounding a bit more analytical.

I do recommend posting a question in the thread I linked though.

I can't recommend hd800's because your ears will bleed with jpoprock, and he400i's are disappointing with upper mids and lower treble presence.

The guys at the AAMML forum do also recommend any Audio Technica headphone except the M50 so you could ask them about that.

thanks for the recommendation, I have edited my post will ask over there
As for desktop setup, unfortunately I already have DAC and AMP

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #25 of 44

Well, DT880 sounds nice, it's borderline sibilant (tss tss you know... but not annoying levels of sibilance)
- Stay away from DT990 -

Tried other LiSA recordings and they are less sibilant than Shirushi

You should consider the AKG K702, which is very open and a tiny bit softer than DT880

I have a question, how can you tell if a music is focused on upper-mid and lower treble or just treble?

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #26 of 44
upper treble is typically cymbals
lower treble/upper mid range is where female vocals typically fall
midrange is deeper female vovals/male vocals/guitars typically land

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #27 of 44

is there anyway to tell from a frequency graph like above, like if the frequency range in a certain category (say 14k to 20k the line is high) should considered lower treble etc (idk i am just making up)

upper treble is typically cymbals
lower treble/upper mid range is where female vocals typically fall
midrange is deeper female vovals/male vocals/guitars typically land

thanks for the quick respond, so in my case, I should look for reviews has high rating in lower treble and higher mid?

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 44
reading FreQ graphs is a little above my paygrade....I like to listen with my ears,not my eyes
gs1000.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #29 of 44
o2smile.gif
you respond so quick, I just edited my previous post

The reason why I asked that is because I want to know what majority of my songs are (since it is impossible to ask you listen to all my songs and tell me what they are)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back