Bright Headphone for female vocals
Mar 28, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #31 of 44
I am not familiar with anime,Jpop,Kpop .....no offense but that style of music doesnt appeal to me.

The closest example I can offer is Kate Bush having an upper midrange,at times hitting even lower treble vs. Stevie Nicks who has a warm sultry midrange vocal style,that rarely hits anything higher.

If your music vocals hit like Kate Bush does on this song,then you want to foucus on upper mids to lower highs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #32 of 44
  Used HD800 is your friend for brightness tbh, like I said.
That is, if you're like me though.

I really need to try out those cans before I can decide, there is a local headphone store I went there once but I don't want to go there again
because the look they gave me when I first went there tried out few cans and left without purchasing :frowning2:

I am not familiar with anime,Jpop,Kpop .....no offense but that style of music doesnt appeal to me.

The closest example I can offer is Kate Bush having an upper midrange,at times hitting even lower treble vs. Stevie Nicks who has a warm sultry midrange vocal style,that rarely hits anything higher.

If your music vocals hit like Kate Bush does on this song,then you want to foucus on upper mids to lower highs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9O9DyJnyMU

After gave it a try I feel that the music I listen hits even higher than that
to avoid making you listen to music you don't like I have cut some sample into 20 second and uploaded to my server
see http://eudemon.org/test2/

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #33 of 44

I really need to try out those cans before I can decide, there is a local headphone store I went there once but I don't want to go there again
because the look they gave me when I first went there tried out few cans and left without purchasing :frowning2:

Or go to a meet. You're in the land of freedom, there should be a lot of hifi meets.

To keep it simple, HD800 is bright. Vocal doesn't sound as intimate as my SR-202 but the massive soundstage and sparkling treble made me choose it over the Stax.
Yes, I love treble. I feel weird if I don't hear any piercing treble in my music. My heart sometimes aches when I hope for sibilance in my J-rock but it doesn't come.
FYI I listen to 80% female vocals.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #34 of 44
Yea, I signed up for a meet which is going to happen in 3 months, the wait tho :frowning2:

Totally understand on the piercing treble part, I will keep HD800 in my radar

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #35 of 44

After gave it a try I feel that the music I listen hits even higher than that
to avoid making you listen to music you don't like I have cut some sample into 20 second and uploaded to my server
see http://eudemon.org/test2/

yeah man,I dunno what to tell you...someone else I think directed you to a JPop thread...that might be the best place to look around.

Kate Bush is about as high as I my ears can take.I listened to your samples and I cannot relate to it,so I think that any advice I give probably isnt going to be the best advice possible.

If you need recommendations on the best Motorhead albums to pick up let me know
beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #36 of 44
I want to thank everyone who commented this post
After some researches I have came down to this list

1. AD2000X
      Below need to try out first
  1. K712 / K701 / K812
  2. HD800
  3. Stax Lambda Pro

I have signed up for a meet happening in 3 months, hopefully I can try out most above
And I will most likely cancel my order for TH-X00
In the meanwhile I guess I will stick with my HE-400i and keep visiting sale/trade

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #37 of 44

yeah man,I dunno what to tell you...someone else I think directed you to a JPop thread...that might be the best place to look around.

Kate Bush is about as high as I my ears can take.I listened to your samples and I cannot relate to it,so I think that any advice I give probably isnt going to be the best advice possible.

If you need recommendations on the best Motorhead albums to pick up let me know
beerchug.gif

Just curious, but what are your thoughts on Babymetal?

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #38 of 44
not my thing man...im old,fifty to be exact...Metal to me is Judas Priest,Motorhead,Accept,Scorpions,etc...

New metal mostly sounds like crap to me,except Opeth,Parasite Inc...

The only Japanese bands I ever got into was EZO and Loudness

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #39 of 44
> female vocal?
> anime music?
> energetic ?
> Hifiman HE-500s, the vocal goddess
. However, the He-500s are not even bright, but they're slightly warm. But due to its vocal beautifulness and planar's energetic. I think HE-500s would be the perfect choice for J-pop and anime music. I tested with my HE-500 by this song, and I absolutely love the performance: https://soundcloud.com/sella-choiria/fuyu-no-epilogue

(also K701s wouldn't be a bad choice, and yea, they're bright)

Btw I highy recommend this post, or read the whole thread if you need more info.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601953/headphones-for-vocal-music-asia-pop-ballad#post_8242307

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #40 of 44
> female vocal?
> anime music?
> energetic ?

> Hifiman HE-500s, the vocal goddess
. However, the He-500s are not even bright, but they're slightly warm. But due to its vocal beautifulness and planar's energetic. I think HE-500s would be the perfect choice for J-pop and anime music. I tested with my HE-500 by this song, and I absolutely love the performance: https://soundcloud.com/sella-choiria/fuyu-no-epilogue

(also K701s wouldn't be a bad choice, and yea, they're bright)

Btw I highy recommend this post, or read the whole thread if you need more info.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601953/headphones-for-vocal-music-asia-pop-ballad#post_8242307

I have seen some people recommend the he500 but they are discontinued by the manifactor, is he6 or 1000 its successor?

Would you recommend 712 over 701 i read that they have newer driver with better bass performance, and improved pad anf headband. Altho bass is irrelevant to anime song, but if other elements are not changed from k701 to k712, i dont mind the extra price with the improvement

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #41 of 44
I have seen some people recommend the he500 but they are discontinued by the manifactor, is he6 or 1000 its successor?

Would you recommend 712 over 701 i read that they have newer driver with better bass performance, and improved pad anf headband. Altho bass is irrelevant to anime song, but if other elements are not changed from k701 to k712, i dont mind the extra price with the improvement

For the HE-500s, they only can be found in the used market now. But they really worth a try IMO. I haven't listened to the HE-6s so I cannot say much about it, but people say HE-500 is an "easy-to-drive version" of HE-6, so they sound quite similar. Keep in mind that you must need a really powerful amp to drive that monster.

I only own the k701, but due to the k712's reviews, I think they are quite different in sound signatures. K701s focus into the mid(vocal), high and soundstage, and K712 is more balance in everything with the improvement in bass section.

There're also model Q701s that use the same drivers with K701s, but with better low-end section.

And If possible, You should try to auction the Beyerdynamic T1 1st Gen sometimes. They're not famous about their vocal, but it doesn't mean the vocal not good. You may like them though, because they have a bright and energetic sound signature.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #42 of 44
For the HE-500s, they only can be found in the used market now. But they really worth a try IMO. I haven't listened to the HE-6s so I cannot say much about it, but people say HE-500 is an "easy-to-drive version" of HE-6, so they sound quite similar. Keep in mind that you must need a really powerful amp to drive that monster.

I only own the k701, but due to the k712's reviews, I think they are quite different in sound signatures. K701s focus into the mid(vocal), high and soundstage, and K712 is more balance in everything with the improvement in bass section.

There're also model Q701s that use the same drivers with K701s, but with better low-end section.

And If possible, You should try to auction the Beyerdynamic T1 1st Gen sometimes. They're not famous about their vocal, but it doesn't mean the vocal not good. You may like them though, because they have a bright and energetic sound signature.

Just got an email from massdrop about k7xx thinking about getting a pair of that instead of k701 i heard they are based on 702 driver, would there be any big difference in terms of sound signature, i guess in this case we are comparing k702 with k701?

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #43 of 44
Just got an email from massdrop about k7xx thinking about getting a pair of that instead of k701 i heard they are based on 702 driver, would there be any big difference in terms of sound signature, i guess in this case we are comparing k702 with k701?

people say k7xx is kind of similar to k712, so I guess the k7xx is more balance, more bass than k701/702. And yes, AKG K series works very well with vocal, but I still prefer them for classical better.

In case that you don't have a chance to listen to the HE-500, and AKG K series doesn't fit your taste, Audio Technica should be the brand to stick with (mostly the old models).

They are made for J-pop, they are made for vocal. I recommend you check AD-2000(x) and the W5000.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #44 of 44
Yes the ad2000x is in my list, see http://www.head-fi.org/t/803059/bright-headphone-for-female-vocals/30#post_12459619
The reason why i am considering the k7xx is first people recommended the 700 series to me here, and second its pretty good value that massdrop has them for $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back