Bright-Full Range Headphones
May 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 47
Think screaming guitars and attacking drums. Grados are rock and roll headphones. Some find them overwhelmingly harsh, others enjoy their aggressive sound.
I think the SR225i is supposed to be less aggressive than, say, the SR325i, though. Which means it will probably be better for the sort of music you specified.

I still think you should consider the AD900. It's strength, I think, is in the genres of music you listed; trance, vocals and acoustic as well as videos/movies. It's also very efficient (like Grados are too) and will sound decent without having to invest in an amplifier (if you don't have one), unlike, say the K701 or the DT880.

The T70p, I concur is another great choice. Sounds good with any kind of music.

May 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:
also, I've heard about the "Grado" sound. Is this brightness, what people are talking about when they say that? (thanks for all of the responses so far)

It's not really brightness that defines the Grado sound, though they do tend towards brightness.
(Especially the 325is's, the brightest of the Prestige Series.)

Good source material and good electronics can tone that down

It's a unique sound that works extremely well with certain types of music.
Dynamic, immediate, exciting, present, 

May 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #19 of 47
I'd say it's the forward / in-your-face soundstage which defines Grado sound, yes they may be a bit on the brighter side but not more so than some other headphones, however on other bright headphones vocals may sound distant while on Grado it's like GROWLED IN YOUR FACE (cough a little bit exaggeration cough)

Grado is fun, intimate, engaging, the sound signature I personally like but due to very obvious lack of subbass as well as arguable comfort I'm staying away. :p

May 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #20 of 47
I'd get the DT990. Very bright, and the low end gives you a satisfying punch.

May 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 47
I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic based on yalls suggestions. I had a question though, what is the difference between the 32, 300, and 600 OHM versions? (pardon my total lack of knowledge in this area)

May 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:
I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic based on yalls suggestions. I had a question though, what is the difference between the 32, 300, and 600 OHM versions? (pardon my total lack of knowledge in this area)

This should help:

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/index.htm

May 24, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #24 of 47
one more question, do i need an amp for the DT880s? (like i said i know nothing about it 
redface.gif
) i would prefer not to amp them - they will mostly hooked up to my MBP

May 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 47
While on Grado it's like GROWLED IN YOUR FACE (cough a little bit exaggeration cough)

That's what I love about them, the Grado's "bite" and that's what I am afraid to lose

May 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
one more question, do i need an amp for the DT880s? (like i said i know nothing about it 
redface.gif
) i would prefer not to amp them - they will mostly hooked up to my MBP

Quote:
Yes, you'll need some kind of amp

Or, phrased another way,
they'll sound MUCH better with an amp - even an entry level
amp for about $60.00 or so.  The benefits are far greater than the cost.

May 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

One more for ya: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back