Bright and Musical Dynamic IEM
Oct 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JxK

1000+ Head-Fier
I tried the S4 on the recommendation of a member (best buy 30 day return policy) and decided that the warmth isn't my cup of tea. So.

I am left looking for a dynamic IEM in production that has a bright, though not harsh sound signature, with crisp and sparkly highs. Unlike most other dynamics, I would rather the base be punchy instead of dark and all encompassing like it is on the Atrios (this does not mean anemic or totally lacking in base like etymotics). I would like mids to be well presented, and perhaps even a bit forward. Also, it should have a musical sound, rather than an analytical one. What I mean by this is that although I want to hear details, I would like it to be an IEM which draws and immerses a listener in the music, as opposed to immersing oneself in the details like most BAs tend to. Decent build quality and comfort are of course preferred.

I simply want to know what's out there, so please ignore cost. Also, if you happen to know of a BA earphone that sounds like this, I'm more than happy to take recommendations.

Head-fi, I welcome your collective wisdom.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Denon AH-C710. The bass and treble was too much for me out of the box. They settled down after some burn-in and sound much more balanced. They have strong mids that sound crystal clear.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Sounds like you are describing Shure earphones. I haven't heard any of the new SE line, but I've heard the SCL3 & 4. Both have great mids and decent highs. The bass on the SCL3 is absent, but the SCL4 has a better defined and present bottom end -- not boomy at all, but there when required.

I would recommend the Head-Direct RE0 at $99 as a bright earphone, but it leans to the analytical side (superb details), and it just never quite gets very musical or fun, and bass is not strong enough to engage you.

Interesting that the S4 didn't appeal to you -- mine is burining in, settling down, and it is certainly bright.

Others are likely to point you to the upper Etymotic line.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 4
@kmhanes
The S4 is a good earphone, and for certain genres I listen to - trance for instance- it's very good. But as an all-arounder I just didn't like the warmth...or rather, the "heaviness", if you will, of the sound. It's a bit difficult to explain actually...trying to explain a subjective feeling using subjective language.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back