Brief smartphone sound quality comparison
Oct 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #16 of 23
  I had a Galaxy S1 (Wolfson chip) too with Voodoo kernel - fantastic sound quality. Pretty mediocre sound quality with stock kernel.
Now I have a Galaxy S3 (Wolfson chip) with Boeffa kernel - same or better sound quality than S1 Voodoo. Stock kernel sounds good but not awesome.

Samsung phones with only stock kernels installed should not be judged in terms of sound quality because they can do much better with custom kernels like Boeffla, Perseus, Siyah,...

American Galaxys might be differnt though as not all models have that famous Wolfson chip on board.

I agree I believe most people on here base their judgment on the S3 on the USA version.  Which does not have a Wolfsan DAC.  I have a UK version of S3 and I am very happy with the sound of it.  I to use the Boeffla Kernal and it sounds amazing.  It actually sounds better then my Voodood SG1.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 23
I agree I believe most people on here base their judgment on the S3 on the USA version.  Which does not have a Wolfsan DAC.  I have a UK version of S3 and I am very happy with the sound of it.  I to use the Boeffla Kernal and it sounds amazing.  It actually sounds better then my Voodood SG1.

All the phones I tried are EU versions, so I think the S3 I tried had the same dac as those in the UK. Sounded good, I'd rank it right behind the iPhone 4s and Xperia Z. But it lacks power compared to the iPhone. All android phones that I've tried have that same drawback, I don't know why their outputs are so limited. iPhone has some serious power, it can even get the T1's sufficiently loud, and makes it sounds virtually indistinguishable from when its plugged into the Nuforce HDP.

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 23
Agreed my SGS4 doesn't go as high as my 4s however I still prefer it over the apple.  I am tired of having a locked bootloader so I ordered an international S3, I will let you know if I prefer it over the SGS4.

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 23
All the phones I tried are EU versions, so I think the S3 I tried had the same dac as those in the UK. Sounded good, I'd rank it right behind the iPhone 4s and Xperia Z. But it lacks power compared to the iPhone. All android phones that I've tried have that same drawback, I don't know why their outputs are so limited. iPhone has some serious power, it can even get the T1's sufficiently loud, and makes it sounds virtually indistinguishable from when its plugged into the Nuforce HDP.

Which is why I had installed a custom Rom with a better Kernel like Boeffla Kernal.  It is similar to what Voodoo Sound did to the SG1.  It boosts the volume higher then the Stock rom.  

The SG1 Voodood still louder tho, it had some power.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #20 of 23
Hi everyone.. I'm new here and I just applied cause I'm looking for the best Android smartphone in terms of sound quality.. I've target the Htc One's beats audio and the Sony Xperia Z1's walkman... Does anyone knows the best between the 2? Thanks for answer

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #21 of 23
I have listened to both iphone 4S and galaxy S4. I like the SQ of latter one via Heir 4ai with stock cable whereas 4S I had to use with apex glacier via toxic viper LOD and simple Senheiser IEM (do not know the model #)

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #22 of 23
hey dude am new here....I've been looking for a phone with great sound quality nd am very interested in the iphone 4s. Cud u please tell me what ios u have in ur iphone right now? coz wanna know if it sounds as gud with ios 7....nd also , are u using the default music player or another player like equ...thanx in advance..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back