Brief impressions of Total Bithead / Help with amp selection
Jan 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cegras

100+ Head-Fier
System: Total Bithead -> PA2V2 -> Grado SR80

I purchased this as an upgrade to my onboard sound. What follows is not A/B, but rather just 'absolute' impressions.

For many of the tracks, I was surprised to hear that they were a bit veiled. It's hard to describe it this way, so the best way would be to say it was as if they were moved away from my ears (without an increase in soundstage), and subjected to mild muffling (like an anechoic chamber).

The middle range is sort of pushed back. The upper range does not hurt my ears, but the tradeoff, I feel, is that some of the accurateness is lost.

The bass is controlled. It is mostly blunt, and sharp at the same time. What that means is that when a bass note hits, it is a roundish sound that falls off quickly with no reverb.

Sound quality vastly improves with higher volumes - but I can't listen at those volumes.

Crossfeed - in games, it's an absolute wonder. As for music, it works as their brochure describes - it creates a 'happy space' inside your head, at the expense of making the music sound more cavernous.

A lot of problems are fixed by listening at night or having a good source (Eric Clapton - Unplugged).

Conclusions: Not so bad, especially for what I payed for it. I am happy.

Surprisingly, they have really made my generic Labtec, 7 year old speakings sing. The bass coming from the woofer is so great now, and while I am missing the tactile experience with the Grado headphones, the pleasure I get from listening to my speakers has greatly, greatly increased.

Addendums: Does anyone recommend more music in the same style as Eric Clapton, Unplugged? Perhaps more of his albums, or other musicians?

Since I have contributed a bit, I hope, I feel guilt free enough to ask for an amp recommendation:

I am looking for a trouble free start with tubes. I read SS drives low impedance headphones, though.

What I want:

- Can drive Grado, and maybe higher impedance in the future.
- Tube (Lured by the mysticism)
- $100-200, with all costs factored in

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 4
I can understand if people have no comments on my impressions : P, but does anyone have any amp advice? Normally I'd research on my own, but there's no comprehensive list to start from.

Major candidate is Little Dot I+, but I have heard of QC issues with them from my readings.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Why don't you just buy LDI+ from FS forums so you can avoid freshly made QC issues?

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 4
It's tempting, but I also want to be aware of all the alternatives so I can make the best choice. I hear SS amps are the best for low impedance, but I still want to try out this 'tube' sound ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back