Brick & mortar record store database
Sep 14, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #49 of 85
In South Florida you should check out:

CD Heaven
8128 North University Drive
Tamarac, FL. 33321
Phone: 954-726-7402

They've been around for maybe 10 or 12 years and carry one of the largest selections of NEW and USED CD's. They also have a nice USED Vinyl Section. They also carry Concert DVD's, Concert T Shirts and Imports. They're prices seem to be pretty good and I think they also do mail order even though they don't have a website. They have a small staff that's really knowledgeable and friendly and they're prices are real good.
loosebruce

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #50 of 85
Soundwaves of Houston, despite being a hybrid surf/skate/music shop has a very large selection of music and has no problem ordering music that they don't have in the store either. The organization in the store leaves a little to be desired (I still can't figure out why a prog metal band like Misery signals ends up with a divider in the "Independent" section while a small band like Midlake is in the "rock" section and so on.

Their selection seems to specialize in a HUGE section of trance/dance/house music that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of. Being in Houston they also have a great selection of southern rap, including a number of screwed n' chopped titles.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #51 of 85
I would add Fifth Element (Rhymesayers label owned hip hop shop) to the list of Minneapolis stores.

Fifth Element
2411 Hennepin Ave S.
Minneapolis, MN

Also, check out ZZZ Records in Des Moines, IA. Nothing terrifyingly great but a decent selection of vinyl, focus on "indie".

ZZZ Records
424 E Locust St
Des Moines, IA 50309
(515) 284-1401

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #52 of 85
SF Bay Area->South Bay, California:

The Record Man
http://www.recordman.com/
1322 El Camino Real
Redwood City, California 94063
(650) 368-9065

This is a two story house that's been converted to a vinyl vault; every wall of every room (except the bathrooms) are floor-to-ceiling vinyl shelves and additional shelving in the middle of each room, packed with vinyl of all genres, along the occasional but very necessary step ladder in the walk ways. They boast over a million lp's, and I don't doubt their claim one bit. The collection is almost entirely 12" records, with a meager selection of used CD's in half of the front room.

First floor is rock/pop (1.5 rooms worth), metal (1 wall), hard to classify stuff (kraftwerk and such) and other rarities (1 wall), big band (a hall way and another wall), funk, (1.5 walls), jazz (1 room, very nice selection), rap and some other newer stuff in a long corridor in the main room. Second floor is only accessible by request due to its staircase being on the outside of the building and being locked, but it contains nearly as many records as the first: huge array of vocalists (sinatra, nat king cole & such), lounge/exotica/ez listening (les baxter, martin denny, arthur lyman selections are very good), and some entire walls filled with very obscure records from wwii and radio shows and such. There was probably some classical on one of the floors, too, but I didn't notice it. The big artists have entire rows spanning most/all of their catalogs.

Each floor has a dedicated turntable, receiver and pair of floor standing speakers (tucked under windows, since that's about the only space left in the room), so you can listen to any lp you want. Prices are not listed on each lp--you must get a quote from the owner/lackey at the front who looks it up in "American Records" and other such "blue book" type of books, so you know what that means: expect to pay $15-40 per lp, depending on condition (VG+ goes for $15-20, for example). Parking is extremely limited. The vinyl is rather dusty here, and I had to wash my hands after going through a few hundred pieces.

Overall, a nice store to look for those hard to find lp's you desperately need, or to listen to a bunch of old lps you otherwise wouldn't be able to hear otherwise (possibly). Great way to spend an entire day and a boat load of money.

Big Al's Record Barn
522 S Bascom Ave
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 294-7200

This store specializes in 45's and oldies, where "oldies" is broken down into many sub-genres, (male & female vocalists are separate sections, for example), with a very long wall of rock/pop, a nice selection of soul/funk, jazz/big band, country, and an entire room of soundtracks. Tons of 45's, just tons. Prices look like they were taken directly from one of those "American Records" type blue books, so don't expect to find any crazy deals (a VG record here goes for $20, anything better is upwards of $30-45). However, they do have two racks of $1 vinyl outside the store which had some interesting stuff in it, though mostly junk. The owner (or whoever the old guy is up front) is very nice and willing to help you find something or just chat (and when there's no one to chat with, he usually talks to his parrot... no joke). No CD's here whatsoever.

Plenty of parking, and it's literally 4 or 5 blocks up Bascom from Streetlight Records, which in turn is 6 or 7 blocks up from Rasputins. Very nice little concentration of record stores that sell vinyl.

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #53 of 85
If you're ever in Kitchener or Waterloo, check out "The Orange Monkey" on King Street by the Heuther, and X-Disc-C and Empire Records at King/Charles and Queen.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #55 of 85
Council Bluffs, IA/ Omaha, NE area

Kanesville Collectibles, Council Bluffs, IA

Quote:

It is hard to imagine a store containing three-fourths of a million of anything. Much less keep track of and organize that much inventory.

But Behrens’ does, with around 750,000 rare and out of print records in its store, plus a ton – and when I say a ton, I mean tens of thousands – of other collectibles such as comics, old magazines and movies.

“It’s probably the largest collection of records in the Midwest,” owner Tim Behrens said. “We’ve had people sifting through the collection from open to close, for an entire week.”

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #56 of 85
I can't believe nobody has posted these two, probably two of the best shops in Los Angeles Metro area:

Fingerprints
4612-B E 2nd St
Long Beach, CA 90803

Welcome to Indierecordshop.com powered by Fingerprints

In Belmont Shore. Keeping the Indie record store vibe alive. The place stocks a huge selection of use CD, new vinyl, and new CD. Mostly spin on emerging artists/indie. They offer free shows almost weekly with TOP ACTS. I saw Peter Bjorn John, Matt Costa, ALO, Silversun Pickups, Aqualung, Damien Rice the list goes on. And they have great service.

Bagatelle Records
260 Atlantic Ave
Long Beach, CA 90802

This place is pure gold for old vinyl and music geeks. Plan at least 2-3 hours. You've been warned.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #57 of 85
I didn't check to see if my favorite was mentioned in the 6 pages of replies but I doubt it.

Crazy Bob's Record store on Fraser Hwy in Langley, BC was always one of my favorite places to browse on a rainy Saturday (there was too many of those and that's why I moved).
He has the most incredible used vinyl selection I've seen.
I hadn't been there in 6 years and he has doubled the size of his store.
Even though he doesn't have much for my tastes it is incredible.
What's really wild is Bob himself...he's appears about 30ish but he's actually 45ish with 7 kids( so I heard) and still sports the wildest fro and pschedelic clothes as do the "kids" when they help him out.
Super nice guy...stop in if you ever visit...closed Sundays.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #58 of 85
Did a quick search, didn't see these

[size=medium]Utah[/size]
Salt Lake City

Slowtrain- 300 South and about 215 East
Positively 4th Street- 400 South and also about 215 East
GrayWhale- Locally owned 3 locations, UofU, T-Ville, and West Jordan

All great for indie and lesser known artists. I spend a lot of time at Graywhale and Slowtrain.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #59 of 85
Hey, this is not a bad thread...

In Kingston, Ontario,there are a few neat stores:

Brian's Record Option, in the Hub, Princess St. - This place is incredibly cramped and dusty and dark, but it is wall-to-wall with records of all kinds, an absolutely huge selection... mostly older stuff, though Brian (the awesome, exceedingly knowledgeable owner) can order things in if you need them.

Zap Records - A smaller place, a bit further down Princess, again focused mostly on the older stuff/used records, lots of rock/pop/R&B selection.

The Jungle - Even further towards the lake on Princess... Not a full-on record store (clothing and other things), but in the back they have a delicious, if small, section with lots of new stuff, including obscure indie, rock, lots of punk, etc., and also a good selection of 7-inch singles and some cool rare stuff! I am personally a big fan of this place.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #60 of 85
Love Garden - Lawrence, KS.

You probably would miss this one if you weren't already looking for it. It's on the main "strip" in Lawrence (Mass. Ave.). I lived in Kansas City for several years, but there were no good record stores there. The Love Garden has a ton of great used Indie records - I'd always walk out with at least 5 albums every time I went there. They also have a good selection of LP's. It's nowhere near as large as Amoeba or Rasputin, but it's definitely got that college town "indie" vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back