Bricasti M1 DAC impressions.
Mar 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #46 of 220
I would also be grateful if you could describe how the Bricasti M1 compares to the Perfect Wave DAC MK2.  Does it blow the Perfect Wave DAC out of the water? Or is it better in more subtle ways?  Thanks.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #47 of 220
Quote:
I would also be grateful if you could describe how the Bricasti M1 compares to the Perfect Wave DAC MK2.  Does it blow the Perfect Wave DAC out of the water? Or is it better in more subtle ways?  Thanks.

The Bricasti M1 is better in many ways than the PWD Mk2.  I think the most significant difference is the clarity of the imagining within the soundstage.  The PWD is pretty good for the money IMO but the M1's image clarity is much better and the image stability is better as well.  If the recording has a lot of things going on, the M1 resolves it better.  I think the M1 has more explosive dynamics than the PWD.  I currently own both as you can see in the photo.  If you're considering upgrading the PWD Mk2 to the Bricasti M1, I don't think you would be disappointed.  For me the M1 is better than the PWD in just about everyway possible and I think it will satisfy me for a long time such that I have no feeling that I need something better.  When I compare the 2 DACs, I don't have to listen hard or very long to know that the M1 is better.  I have the latest version of the M1 (March 2013 with the new power supply for the digital section).

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #48 of 220
That sounds like a great DAC.  Has anyone had a chance to compare the latest Bricasti M1 with the emm labs DAC2X?
People have consistently preferred the DAC2X but that was before the latest power supply upgrade, so I'm curious if the new digital PS has closed the gap.

I plan to listen to both at the NY audio show in April but won't be able to A/B since they won't be in the same setup.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #49 of 220
The only other DAC besides the Briscati in this price range I would listen to is the MSB Analog

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #51 of 220
I read the following on Audiogon. I am really interested in this DAC so I would appreciate it if you'd respond to this quote. I really appreciate your consideration of this.

"The negative:

I would say the biggest weakness and ultimately my dismissal of this otherwise technically proficient DAC is its ulter lack of musicality. For example, human voice do not sound real and organic when compared with MPS-5. When Diana sings, I did not get the imagery of her singing. Like the mids, the highs on M1 leave much to be desired. For example, symbols in Living in Paris and violin solos lack the real life quality associated with those instrument. M1 sounded just like another digital DAC, displaying all the negative aspect of digital music. On the very high notes of violin, all I heard was a monotone sound, without the usual harmonics and woodiness I am used to with Klimax and what I heard on MPS-5. Soundstage of M1 feels contrived and not realistic. I did not hear the complex layering as with he MPS-5, nor did I hear as deep of a soundstage. "

The full quote can be found here
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1328422306&openflup&1&4#1

Thanks again!

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #52 of 220
And thank you for posting comparison to PWD Mk2. That is another DAC I am eyeing and your perspective is appreciated.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #54 of 220
Quote:
Unless you're not into the EMM house sound, the Meitner MA-1 does DSD as well (the Bricasti doesn't) and is in the same $ range.

How would you describe the 'house sound'?

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #55 of 220
Quote:
I read the following on Audiogon. I am really interested in this DAC so I would appreciate it if you'd respond to this quote. I really appreciate your consideration of this.

"The negative:

I would say the biggest weakness and ultimately my dismissal of this otherwise technically proficient DAC is its ulter lack of musicality. For example, human voice do not sound real and organic when compared with MPS-5. When Diana sings, I did not get the imagery of her singing. Like the mids, the highs on M1 leave much to be desired. For example, symbols in Living in Paris and violin solos lack the real life quality associated with those instrument. M1 sounded just like another digital DAC, displaying all the negative aspect of digital music. On the very high notes of violin, all I heard was a monotone sound, without the usual harmonics and woodiness I am used to with Klimax and what I heard on MPS-5. Soundstage of M1 feels contrived and not realistic. I did not hear the complex layering as with he MPS-5, nor did I hear as deep of a soundstage. "

Thanks again!

That quote also applies to the Bricasti before the latest power supply upgrade which some say has a substantial impact.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #56 of 220
Quote:

That quote also applies to the Bricasti before the latest power supply upgrade which some say has a substantial impact.

that's good to know. what appeals to me about this DAC is the percision of imaging. The way I listen to music, that is the most important thing, so that remark really does not hold much water for me. Still, if I drop serious cash on a DAC I want to know how it performs on all audiophile metrics, hence the quote. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #57 of 220
Quote:
How would you describe the 'house sound'?

No thread hijack intended (I've written pretty extensively about this in various other threads) : IMO EMM/Meitner gear does not bring the crisp, etched "neutrality uber alles" sound to the table that are the calling card of many DACs in that price neighborhood.  The top end has a very lifelike air which some will see as being too kind to some recordings and therefore not appropriate for the "faithful to the source" trend that is so in vogue in much of current equipment design.

Last spring and summer, in addition to my AMR CD-77 (their top end CDP with the digital section that is used in the DP-777), I auditioned several DACs in that range in my home systems: Antelope's Zodiac Gold + Voltikus, Berkeley's Alpha 2 + USB, Aesthetix's Romulus CDP (with the same digital end that's in the Pandora DAC).  All except the Aesthetix were nearly interchangeable in terms of preservation of source, soundstage and overall presentation.  Not a knock on one of them; they do everything well but nothing stood out either.

The Aesthetix was something else entirely.  Huuuuuuuuuge soundstage, very liquid and smooth.  Not like vinyl, but good tubes.  Unique among what I heard.  If you are ever able to audition one, I highly recommend it.

I then tried an EMM CDSA, which I would liken to taking the much of the good of the two styles.  Is it revealing?  I think so, yes.  Does it editorialize.  Yes, I'd have to say there is the slightest bit of it..  Ultimately I decided that my 2-channel system (Maggie 3.7s, ASR Emitter 2, Nordost wires) is already fast and lean.  Blanching the sound with a neutral source was picking too much from one side of the menu and I realized that I prefer a touch of the EMM/Meitner version than neutral through and through. I can't imagine a better sound, just a different one.

Your taste(s), of course, will differ.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #58 of 220
that's good to know. what appeals to me about this DAC is the percision of imaging. The way I listen to music, that is the most important thing, so that remark really does not hold much water for me. Still, if I drop serious cash on a DAC I want to know how it performs on all audiophile metrics, hence the quote. 

You should be happy with M1's imaging, it's precise and stable and extends beyond the speakers in all directions. I was not able to test the accuracy of the depth reproduction, however.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #59 of 220
Quote:

"The negative:

Thanks again!

This quote is from one person in the far East that does not own the M1. He just listen to it in a store and not for too long. I obviously disagree with him (with the previous power supply and even more with the new linear power supply.

I totall agree with SteveM on his impressions regarding the difference between the PWD MkII and the M1.

In not too long there will be another upgrade to the M1 to handle DSD so the limitation described in another post here will no longer exist.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #60 of 220
Quote:
This quote is from one person in the far East that does not own the M1. He just listen to it in a store and not for too long. I obviously disagree with him (with the previous power supply and even more with the new linear power supply.

I totall agree with SteveM on his impressions regarding the difference between the PWD MkII and the M1.

In not too long there will be another upgrade to the M1 to handle DSD so the limitation described in another post here will no longer exist.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back