Brian Jonestown Massacre
Feb 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Phil Ramsay

100+ Head-Fier
OK - there was a thread leaning towards hijack - so rather than do that, let's start a BJM thread!

There's a new tour scheduled The Committee to Keep Music Evil(just got my tickets last week!), and a halfway recent CD - so plenty to talk about!

I got the new CD just last week, in 'preparation' - though reviews have been mixed.

What do y'all think?

Anyone care to start?

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 14
By 'halfway recent CD' you mean My Bloody Underground then, yeah, it's a great listen. It's on my Top 10 of 2008 actually.

I hope BJM plan some Western Canadian dates soon. I missed them when they came through a couple of years ago.

FYI, Miranda Lee Richards (former guest BJM vocalist) has a new CD out as well.

So how did BJM fans discover the band in the first place? For me it was the rockumentary 'Dig'.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 14
Yeah - My Bloody Underground ... sorry for leaving that out.

I really wasn't too sure what to expect with it - reviews have been mixed, with some raves, some pans, a lot right in the middle. For what it's worth - I do like it.

I think a lot of people were introduced to BJM via the movie Dig! - I was. It was quite an amazing show. As I watched, I couldn't help think (over and over again) Oh no! or Oh my god! So self-destructive / so dysfunctional / so original / so inspired / etc. By the end, I really didn't know how fair the movie treatment was of the bands was, or what the 'real' truth of it all was - but was totally fascinated by it. In the end, I found I much more like BJM's music over The Dandy Warhols.

While I expect a lot of people go to BJM shows expecting or hoping for a dysfunctional melt-down by the band, I for one would be perfectly happy to see them play well, and have a good time doing it. I think their music is great, and hope their demons are more or less in the past.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their choice of band name is in poor taste so I am boycotting them.

A lot of people seem to have a irrational or otherwise dislike for the BJM. Their loss in my opinion.

I bought My Bloody Underground, but found the CD missing when I got home, so cannot comment on it.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people seem to have a irrational or otherwise dislike for the BJM. Their loss in my opinion.

I bought My Bloody Underground, but found the CD missing when I got home, so cannot comment on it.

The band name (and quite a bit of the music) is confrontational by design - but that's not so unusual these days.

As far as I'm concerned the music either has merit or it doesn't. I think does, so will listen regardless.

Too bad about the missing CD - Hope you're able to get a replacement without hassle.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 14
A few years ago lossless ogg vorbis or something files of all BJM's albums were available from the BJM website. This seemed to typify the Anton Newcombe's anti record company ethos that it was more important to be listened to than to sell records.

The website is gone now and you are redirected to the Committee to Keep Music Evil website.

Quote:

Too bad about the missing CD

I was offered a refund when I asked about a coverless CD floating around the record store but haven't bothered returning it.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few years ago lossless ogg vorbis or something files of all BJM's albums were available from the BJM website. This seemed to typify the Anton Newcombe's anti record company ethos that it was more important to be listened to than to sell records.

The website is gone now and you are redirected to the Committee to Keep Music Evil website.

I downloaded nearly a dozen of their albums and EPs during that time period... very nice way to jump into the back catalog with both feet! I must say, I listen to a whole lot more of their music because of that move on Anton's part.

I kinda figured even if the My Bloody Underground release was awful (it's not), I owed it to BJM to buy the new stuff, and see the show when they come to town. Unless the show is a total train wreck, I'm still WAY ahead, and they've got a near instant fan in me.

One good thing about being into more obscure groups, and groups that tend to put 'art' above money is that attitude of sharing sometimes very extensive catalogs of recorded work. Just tonight I found out that Dan Deacon is sharing a big batch of his old stuff. I like his stuff, and bought Spiderman of the Rings, but would almost certainly not have gone back to buy a lot of the back catalog. I will, on the other hand, be extremely happy to see his show when he comes to town this Spring.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 14
I've got all the OGG files too. Never listened to them yet tho' in all the years having them.

For purchased albums I have Tepid Peppermint Wonderland (all you really need for the back catalog stuff, imo), We Are The Radio EP (really, really good), and the aforementioned My Bloody Underground.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 14
I wouldn't hold my breath for Canadian dates. After a bottle throwing incident in Vancouver, Anton swore he would never play another Canadian show. So, that kinda sucks. Although, I can't see them ever playing Winnipeg anyways, so I'll just go to the Minneapolis show instead (which I already have tickets for).

As for the back catalouge, Teppid Peppermint Wonderland is good, but by no means is it good enough IMO. They've put out so much good music, you should try buying a couple older releases. I would start with "Take It From Man". It's great start to finish.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 14
I've been trying to follow the tour thread at Keep Music Evil! :: View topic - Yes-It's official. BJM tour the United States but have not been totally following who was or wasn't gonna be playing in this tour.

It would certainly be excellent if both Matt and Joel are there!

I'll be at the Minneapolis show at the Fine Line.
Sounds like QRanc will there too!
Have you been to shows there before?

Fine Line wouldn't be my first choice of venues for BJM - but don't really care all that much about that in the bigger picture.

Fine Line does have the advantage for me of being on the same block as my office...

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by QRanc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...As for the back catalouge, Teppid Peppermint Wonderland is good, but by no means is it good enough IMO. They've put out so much good music, you should try buying a couple older releases. I would start with "Take It From Man". It's great start to finish.

True. I just ordered up Take It From The Man, Methodrone, & Give It Back. I plan to order the rest of the collection later. Admittedly their albums have been sitting in my Amazon wish list for a long time. This thread inspired me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 14
I've never been to Fine Line before, but I've heard it's a wierd venue for them to be playing. Not being from Minneapolis, I have to rely completely on the opinions of others. But yeah, I'll be there regardless.

The Committee just sent out a newsletter confirming that Matt will be touring with them (sweet). Joel been on the last couple tours, so I'm just hoping he'll be on this one too.

The news letter also told of more BJM vinyl reissues. This'll be the first time most of these albums have never been out on vinyl before. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back