Breathable headphones (around ear) for sweaty ears
Mar 23, 2017 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NOSAudiophile

New Head-Fier
Hello

Have been reading head-fi for years. Finally decided to sign up and post. I'm considering a foray into headphones for music. I have sweaty ears so I have usually avoided these. My prior experiences with long listening sessions on headphones have been headsets for gaming, and even there I usually ended up using the headset as an on-desk microphone. I usually listen to music through speakers at home or earbuds on the go. With all the new tech I wonder if headphones are now made to deal with sweat and air the same way athletic wear is. Does this exist, and if so which headphones are available, up to $400 range.

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 10
  Hello

Have been reading head-fi for years. Finally decided to sign up and post. I'm considering a foray into headphones for music. I have sweaty ears so I have usually avoided these. My prior experiences with long listening sessions on headphones have been headsets for gaming, and even there I usually ended up using the headset as an on-desk microphone. I usually listen to music through speakers at home or earbuds on the go. With all the new tech I wonder if headphones are now made to deal with sweat and air the same way athletic wear is. Does this exist, and if so which headphones are available, up to $400 range.

Thanks!

Have you worn mostly pleather or velour earpads in the past? Have you considered getting yourself a really nice in-ear monitor? That might work better for you.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 10
  Have you worn mostly pleather or velour earpads in the past? Have you considered getting yourself a really nice in-ear monitor? That might work better for you.

I believe the gaming headsets I've had are both types. I am trying various in-ear monitors though my bias is for size being able to re-create better sound coming from the in-room audiophile world so I have to believe larger drivers on over-ear or on-ear headphones might make better sound. That's my thought anyways. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 10

I believe the gaming headsets I've had are both types. I am trying various in-ear monitors though my bias is for size being able to re-create better sound coming from the in-room audiophile world so I have to believe larger drivers on over-ear or on-ear headphones might make better sound. That's my thought anyways. 

Do you have amazon available where you are? Have you ever tried aluminum chloride to help with the sweating?

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 10

On my ears? I use it for deodorant but not on my ears man lol

It's not a deodorant like Axe, it's anti-perspirant like Arm and Hammer and Old Spice bars (the latter closes up your sweat glands and pores). AFAIK the latter has some of it. Using pure aluminum chloride has a different procedure.

You can apply it around your ears, and all sides of your earlobes.
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-9856/aluminum-chloride-topical/details 

Alternately, you can just drop the room temp far enough to keep you from sweating. Install an A/C, or even those DIY A/C units.

To maintain silence in your listening area though I'd suggest getting a split inverter A/C, that way the kompressor unit won't be at the window (and heck, close the windows and put foam there to muffle the kompressor unit even more along with all noise from outside).

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Man I live in Canada. It's COLD here you haven't heard?  LOL. my ears still get warm and sweat if the headphones are not breathable. I am going to guess there isn't a breathable headphone out there. IEMs it is then.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 10
  Man I live in Canada. It's COLD here you haven't heard?  LOL. 

No but I didn't know you live in Canada since your profile doesn't display it. Mine does at the upper right corner of each post box (you'd have to edit that manually, but I think only after all the features of the forum are unlocked for you).

Speaking of over here, I got a full on buzzcut a few days ago. Never mind that a civilian with a buzzcut looks like the kind that wants to get in but gets rejected by the military for some psychological reason, it's just too freaking hot. I use too much Head N Shoulders Menthol my hair dried out actually (think of the texture of hobo hair, but clean...too clean).

my ears still get warm and sweat if the headphones are not breathable. I am going to guess there isn't a breathable headphone out there. IEMs it is then.

In any case, yeah, looks like there's no other option at this point, unless you'd try the chemical treatment.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 10
I can't think of the specific models off the top of my head, but one or two of the full size Shure headphones have nice alcantara earpads (around the ear) Those are supposed to be more "breathable", but I have not tried them . The Sennheiser HD 598 also has more breathable fabric earpads, and I find it quite comfortable.

edit: Shure SRH 1840 is one example, not sure about pricing in your area.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 10
I can't think of the specific models off the top of my head, but one or two of the full size Shure headphones have nice alcantara earpads (around the ear) Those are supposed to be more "breathable", but I have not tried them . The Sennheiser HD 598 also has more breathable fabric earpads, and I find it quite comfortable.

edit: Shure SRH 1840 is one example, not sure about pricing in your area.

Alcantara earpads. Thanks for this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back