Break-in: time and volume and cables
Jun 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

audiorapture

100+ Head-Fier
This may have been written better before; back in 11-05-01 KR and bootman talked about pink noise and break-in. Now about five years later with improvements in drivers and materials and design; has anyone figured out what really needs to be the best way, (aside from just playing of course), to start out with new headphones?
.....I go to an old receiver and plug them in to the headphone jack, turn the station just off so I get the (pink or white) noise and set the volume for just about too loud, back it down a bit, and then leave them for two days.
..... Now I'm thinking: well is this best for open but to concentrated for closed, or is it too loud for too long? Or like driving a new car too fast for the first few hundred miles, damaging the drivers but "burning in" the cables. .....Since you can hear a difference with different cables, have I messed up to "signature" sound of a particular brand? Is there any headphone company that's given out instructions or "on record" for this problem I seem to be creating for myself? thanks in advance for all help.

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 2
I would use pink noise (be careful with white noise, it has a large amount of treble energy). I would start below normal listening level and increase it then slightly above normal listening level. Or you could generate a mix of sine waves of different frequencies with an appropriate computer program and run an endlesss loop of these for a few days(?) in the same scheme as I mentioned before (again be careful with hight frequencies.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back