Break in for MDR-7506
Nov 14, 2002 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Celine Dion (dont ask) sounded quite clear but not overwhelming on these phones when I tried someone elses, but Norah Jones is sounding extremely strident on my nearly-new pair at the moment. With my 'Partridgephones' MDR-7509 she sounds appropriately sublime. How many hours of break in do the 7506's need on average to get to the not-over-in-yer-face sound?

Nov 14, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 7
I found these almost unlistenable when I first got them, but after 3-4 hours of use a day for about a week they had mellowed out nicely. Doing the math, I guess that adds up to 20+ hours.

Nov 14, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 7
I let them run for a weekend when I was out of town...a little more than 48 hours. They sounded much better after that. I wasn't a believer in break in but now I am.

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 7
um...

the thing is that the upper midrange is very extenuated, and if the vocals are in that frequency range

it's going to sound a bit exaggerated, to the point of forwardness and maybe even shrillness,

however getting a good amp tends to make things much more transparent with these cans

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
I found these almost unlistenable when I first got them, but after 3-4 hours of use a day for about a week they had mellowed out nicely. Doing the math, I guess that adds up to 20+ hours.

Thanks Davie, I'll need this to break in some V6s in a month or so, so I hope that this figure works out as well. I would hate to have the wife listen to them and hate them!!! I'll break them in first so she can just enjoy the music.

Nov 14, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Thanks Davie, I'll need this to break in some V6s in a month or so, so I hope that this figure works out as well. I would hate to have the wife listen to them and hate them!!! I'll break them in first so she can just enjoy the music.

Definitely break them in before you make any judgments. I was on the verge of returning them, but now I find they're my favorites. Good luck.

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
Definitely break them in before you make any judgments. I was on the verge of returning them, but now I find they're my favorites. Good luck.

That's quite a change of opinion in such a short amount of time!!! I hope the wife will like them, but I will make sure she doesn't touch them until they have a couple of days of pink noise run thru them!!!

Thanks again Davie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back