Bread-Fi
Oct 24, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #16 of 66
Thanks to the new diet the naturopath put me on I haven't had bread (or any wheat/yeast) in about 4 weeks. I miss it so much.

Oh.. and kamut/spelt soda bread doesnt' count :p

Also.. no bread means no use for my jam i made this summer

strawberry, peach, and apricot.

IMGP1765.jpg

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I am in the land where bread means white and thick and pre-cut. I cannot enjoy it.
Even if you consider white bread bread as I do not, please do not hesitate to mention that you love it with jam or something equally terrible. I along with the other bread-fiers am waiting.

Shigzeo; When life gives you white bread...make french toast.

For me it's Pain Au Levain by the Acme Bread Co. in Berkeley, with breakfast, toasted with unsalted butter; for lunch a fromage d'affinois, prosciutto panini; with dinner, plain maybe w/olive oil if we having Italian.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 66
The best bread-bakeries near me are Vietnamese. They have as strong French influence culturally and their baguettes are UNBELIEVABLE!! Fresh/warm out of the oven in the morning with some butter and expresso.. FTW!!

My wife, being half vietnamese knows all the good hole in the wall (IE cash-only) places
wink.gif

generous drizzel of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar... Mmm hellof a midnight snack. Sometimes we get it at Trader Joes, but they are not as fresh.

this thread is making me hungry... I'm going downstairs to get some ...NOW!!
icon10.gif

BRB,

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best bread-bakeries near me are Vietnamese. They have as strong French influence culturally and their baguettes are UNBELIEVABLE!!

BRB,

And their Banh mi are excellent. There are a couple of places I go to in the East Bay.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #21 of 66
I'm back
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
Some EVOO, Balsamic and toasted baguettes.

dscn9434vm6.jpg

The little things on the left are a mild flavor pork-based Vietnamese lunchmeat called... "Zaw", sort of Rhymes with "thaw".

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #22 of 66
I am also a big fan of bread, I will eat anything. The only thing I dislike is thick sliced white bread like you mentioned, especially wonderbread. The only way I can eat these is if I toast them. My favorite snack is multigrain bread, toasted, with pasta sauce spread over top and a little bit of melted cheese. Reminds me of pizza and is much healthier/easier to make.

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am eating wonder bread right now just to spite the bread snobs.

mate, you are killing yourself i am sure. i have held the stuff before and it wrapped itself around my finger by gravity. i wadded it up and threw it ... like clay or something. be very careful.

yesterday, i bought some bread from the local travelling baker and well... it was japanese. some had nice things inside, but no way to make anything other than dessert out of it.

so what did i do? i had dessert for breakfast! there is azuki red bean inside these little brown balls. hmmm, ive had better and worse, but at least is it not the rubbish they advertise on television all the time: yamazaki (like wonderbread but thicker and ... i think it smiles!)

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

so what did i do? i had dessert for breakfast! there is azuki red bean inside these little brown balls. hmmm, ive had better and worse, but at least is it not the rubbish they advertise on television all the time: yamazaki (like wonderbread but thicker and ... i think it smiles!)

Forget all that. Just go for the natto and rice, the breakfast of champions.
etysmile.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And their Banh mi are excellent. There are a couple of places I go to in the East Bay.

Agreed, there's a Vietnamese sandwich shop called Ba-Le Sandwich & Bakery (actually there's quite a few of them) near where I live that makes excellent Bánh mì and Vietnamese baguettes.

I forgot about French Toast, love them in the mornings piping hot with lots of syrup. Another one of my favorite bread and one of the best that I've ever eaten (whenever I can get it) is Molokai bread baked fresh everyday by Kanemitsu's Bakery & Restaurant in Kaunakakai, Molokai.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #28 of 66
Oct 25, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

mate, you are killing yourself i am sure. i have held the stuff before and it wrapped itself around my finger by gravity. i wadded it up and threw it ... like clay or something. be very careful.

I am pretty sure that white bread will be the last thing that kills me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back