Bread and Butter history question
Jun 7, 2014 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Just want to know if anyone knows the history of bread and butter? I want to know the earliest documented fact that bread was eaten with butter. You can also give old stories of your grandparents and perhaps post the year it happened.

I did try to search Google and could not find and clear answers so any input would help.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, I hate referencing Wikipedia, but I will anyway. Bread as been known for ~30,000 years, and containers with "milkfat" have been found that are about 8,500 years old. How long ago did someone drop a piece of bread in the milkfat and then eat it anyway? Probably not too long after 6500 BC...

Both of my grandfathers were dairymen. I remember them having an old hand crank milk separator and hand churns - but they didn't use them anymore (they were both retired by the time I came into the world). We would occasionally get fresh butter and hand separated "raw" milk from neighbors - but quite frankly fresh raw milk is disgusting - it always had chunks of fat floating in it that had made it through the strainer. OTOH, fresh butter was kick-@ss good.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Awesome thanks. I knew an old lady and she put butter in her sandwiches so I assume she ate bread with butter since childhood in the early 20th century.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 4
http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/wisconsin/other_dairy/butter/butter_basics/history_of_butter.aspx

I suspect that from it's initial discovery, butter was spread on every other kind of food.

A food scientist once taught me the 2 Laws of Food Science:

1. Fat tastes good.
2. Salt makes fat taste better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back