BRB's Excellent UE-10 Refit Adventure
Nov 3, 2005 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BRBJackson

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of you may recall my comments about the seal issues I was having with my right UE-10. Last night I stayed up documenting everything I could about the problem, assuming that since there's no way for them to look inside my ears while wearing the 10's, it was up to me to tell them exactly what I was experiencing.

Well, today I headed down to Ultimate ears for the re-fit. I was met by UE's service manager, Mike Flynn and of course the fit-master himself, Noy Soudaly. As I started to explain things, it became clear to me that I SUCKED at conveying the subtleties of fit
blink.gif
Nonetheless, I soldiered on, hoping I wouldn't steer the guys TOO wrong, and end up with a pair that fit some guy in Arkansas named Cletus (no offense to Arkansanians or guys named Cletus...). Noy was absolutely professional, though, and clear on what he felt were the causes, going on to explain precisely what he was going to do to the earpieces. It consisted of building up several thin layers of acrylic in specific strategic areas of the bore, a slight shaving of material, and a thickening of the surface adjacent to the Tragus, How he knows to do this from listening to a babbling idiot like me I'll never know, but it did assuage my concerns a bit, and I left to go on a couple of errands.

Returning an hour later, I was presented with my newly tweaked beauties. I twisted the right one in, and... hey, the seal doesn't break when I move my jaw! Success, at least as far as I can tell for now. I have some more boring plane travel coming up, and will put them through the torture test then.

Thanks Noy, thanks Mike, and MAN do they sound great right now with the Hornet! Pink Floyed is IN my brain...

One very relieved and happy Jackson here
etysmile.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Wow congradulation on the perfect fit.

I did sent my back for a refit early this week. To be honest, I still am not sure about if the problem I described really fixes the minor fit problem that I experienced.

I did noticed some abnormal bumps on my UE10 Pro, and I feel those bumps are causing me problems, so I tell them where those bumps are and hopefully that are the problems.

I think during the manufacturing process some air went in when they apply for the external shell, and thus those abnormal bumps are there.

Did anyone notice this with their ue10 Pro? For example, a half egg shaped bump on your ear canal portions. I pretty sure my ear canal is like that. I have another ear impressions with me, and I do not see such bumps.

Nov 4, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

I did noticed some abnormal bumps on my UE10 Pro, and I feel those bumps are causing me problems, so I tell them where those bumps are and hopefully that are the problems.

I think during the manufacturing process some air went in when they apply for the external shell, and thus those abnormal bumps are there.

Did anyone notice this with their ue10 Pro? For example, a half egg shaped bump on your ear canal portions.

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound right. Hope the re-fit solves your issues! The feel and SQ of a well-fitting pair of custom cannot be described
deathmetal.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 4
I really feel that if you're there at UE's facility during refiting, it goes a lot more smoothly and quickly. I think you can describe things easier when you're talking face to face

Users who are viewing this thread

Back