Brazilian music recommendations...Afro-Cuban?
Jun 13, 2006 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
I've always had a love for bossanova and the Brazilian sound in general. I find few things in the music world as beautiful as the Portuguese language sung well.

Lately I've been making a few blind purchases. Here are some that I've enjoyed so far:

Bebel Gilberto - Tanto Tempo & self-titled ... Tanto Tempo I like more...nothing ground breaking or anything, but she has a lovely sounding voice...smooth, sultry, seductive. If you've not heard any good, recent Brazilian music, I practically guarantee you'll love the sound of this woman's voice.
Rosalia de Souza - Garota Moderna ... similar to Bebel Gilberto in style but with a more energetic, inspired vocal style. Overall, I prefer this to Tanto Tempo.
Cibelle - self-titled ... A true gem...I keep going back to this disc. Cibelle mixes modern with traditional with a stylistically diverse vocal palette.
Nossa Alma Canta - Etrela ... I just picked this up a couple of days ago & so far I'm really digging it.

Many good new artists on the Ziriguiboom label...I've been digging on Bossacucanova - Brasilidade. This label has a sampler disc that's a little old now (released in '02) titled The Now Sound of Brazil...this is a nice entry into some modern Brazilian flavor.

Some other sampler discs I've tried & enjoyed include BraziLounge - Dios, and rioLounge 2.

Anyway, this is just a start for me in this genre...any other good Brazilian suggestions? As I mentioned, I've been basically buying blind & have bought a few that I totally don't like along the way, so any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also very interested in trying out some good Afro-Cuban, but I have no idea where to start....any ideas?

Peace,

Graz

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 8
i love brazilian music, i also LOVE cibelle (got her new album too "the shine of dried electric leaves")...bossacucanova is good too, you should check out their album "Uma Batida Diferente" (translation: a different beat)...it's jazzy, downtempo, chilled and of course some bossanova...also bebel of course, but also try the other gilberto's, jobim, etc

there is also cateano veloso, rita lee, apollo nove (apoll 9 he produced cibelle's first record and he has a debut album out called, "res inexlicata volans" also check out Otto "Condom Black" he also has a few other albums out, more on a rockish/alternative vibe, there's also Chico Science & Nação Zumbi a very popular rock band in Brazil...also try some of the brazilelectro compilations, nina miranda is another name to look out for as well as lilian chachian who's voice grazes the group Da Lata (of the tin)...there's also some Daniella Mercury if you want some mbp (Música Popular Brasileira) and some mardi gras feel, with "ethnic" like drums that really get you moving...also there's jhelisa, gal costa...then you got cascabulho "hunger gives you a headache" as well as Carlinhos Brown (very popular/famous) you defintely want to check him out for some brazilian sounds, then there's Batidos "Olájopé" and jorge ben jor, mundo livre s.a., marisa monte, negrocan (lilian chachian and some other people), suba "saul paulo confessions" (this album is a MUST imo...mostly instrumental, suba is a unique producer, unfortunately he passed away (fire accident), but cibelle and him had a good musical relationship)...then there's Zeca Baleiro and Zuco 103 (mpb), zuco is another one i like as well, there's also a group called coldfinger and fernanda porto and try some max viana as well...

now on to the portugese language (non-brazilian)...if you're really interested in taking a step in a slightly different direction, try some portugese fado, they're basically songs of mourning, loss, heartbreak etc, but very beautiful and done with extreme emotion to the point where you could feel it...check out Mariza, Madredeus, Amalia Rodriguez for portugese fado, also Cesaria Evora (not fado), but a very well-known singer worldwide, somewhat of a legend almost in the "world music" scene

oh yeah and for "afro-cuban" try some putumayo series..they're compilations of various artists, but a good source for beginners in discovering new music from around the world with musical themes/genres ie: caribbeans, cape verde, afro-latino, etc

forgot one more thing Celso Fonseca, try him out too for bossa nova, you'll love it he's got a very nice and smooth voice, very relaxing

LOL hope this helps

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
i love brazilian music, i also LOVE cibelle (got her new album too "the shine of dried electric leaves")...bossacucanova is good too, you should check out their album "Uma Batida Diferente" (translation: a different beat)...it's jazzy, downtempo, chilled and of course some bossanova...also bebel of course, but also try the other gilberto's, jobim, etc

there is also cateano veloso, rita lee, apollo nove (apoll 9 he produced cibelle's first record and he has a debut album out called, "res inexlicata volans" also check out Otto "Condom Black" he also has a few other albums out, more on a rockish/alternative vibe, there's also Chico Science & Nação Zumbi a very popular rock band in Brazil...also try some of the brazilelectro compilations, nina miranda is another name to look out for as well as lilian chachian who's voice grazes the group Da Lata (of the tin)...there's also some Daniella Mercury if you want some mbp (Música Popular Brasileira) and some mardi gras feel, with "ethnic" like drums that really get you moving...also there's jhelisa, gal costa...then you got cascabulho "hunger gives you a headache" as well as Carlinhos Brown (very popular/famous) you defintely want to check him out for some brazilian sounds, then there's Batidos "Olájopé" and jorge ben jor, mundo livre s.a., marisa monte, negrocan (lilian chachian and some other people), suba "saul paulo confessions" (this album is a MUST imo...mostly instrumental, suba is a unique producer, unfortunately he passed away (fire accident), but cibelle and him had a good musical relationship)...then there's Zeca Baleiro and Zuco 103 (mpb), zuco is another one i like as well, there's also a group called coldfinger and fernanda porto and try some max viana as well...

now on to the portugese language (non-brazilian)...if you're really interested in taking a step in a slightly different direction, try some portugese fado, they're basically songs of mourning, loss, heartbreak etc, but very beautiful and done with extreme emotion to the point where you could feel it...check out Mariza, Madredeus, Amalia Rodriguez for portugese fado, also Cesaria Evora (not fado), but a very well-known singer worldwide, somewhat of a legend almost in the "world music" scene

oh yeah and for "afro-cuban" try some putumayo series..they're compilations of various artists, but a good source for beginners in discovering new music from around the world with musical themes/genres ie: caribbeans, cape verde, afro-latino, etc

forgot one more thing Celso Fonseca, try him out too for bossa nova, you'll love it he's got a very nice and smooth voice, very relaxing

LOL hope this helps

Wow!! Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions! I'll be trying out many of these for sure.

btw, I do have Suba - Sao Paulo Confessions. I consider it to be one of the finest CD's I own, and list to it often...and for sure you can hear Suba's influence in Cibelle's music & production.

Peace,

Graz

Jun 14, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 8
speaking of drums that get you moving, you should try some Bahian band like Olodum or Timbalada. Not quite like seeing them live (the drum-line of Olodum is breathtaking) but will still get you up and dancing...
ArtWorkServlet
ArtWorkServlet

Jun 18, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 8
If you enjoy Bossa Nova (especially the songs of Jobim), make sure you have a copy of Casa by Ryuichi Sakamoto -- Accompanied by cellist Jacque Morenlenbaum, pianist Sakamoto makes obvious Jobim's influence by classical music (especially Debussy and Chopin). The vocalist, Paula Morenlenbaum, has a light, silky voice that's like no other. The trio's live album A Day In New York is not as cool, but I'm looking for the Japanese version with 3 bonus tracks.

Another superb Brazillian vocalist is Virginia Rodrigues from the Bahia region. While her recent recording of the Afro-Sambas song cycle is very nice, her earlier album Nos is sheer magic, as it benefits from the magic touch of Caetano Veloso.

Caetano Veloso has a huge and rather variable discography and I've just started exploring. I love the daring experimentalism of Livro but don't care too much about the rockish Noites Do Norte. I find the set Live in Bahia, where he plays much of the material from Noites Do Norte, more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back