Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods.
Sep 20, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #123 of 172
Thanks. Is there a guide/resource with the mods/fixes/parts needed somewhere? Or do I have to read the whole thread? 
basshead.gif

May 1, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #126 of 172
My unit came with problems. The left channel was almost no sound, only small sinal with very high distortions. My eletronic technician fixed it. It removed some componets and did weld it back.One capacitor was bad (one of the 1000uf) and it switched them to better ones (Epcos) but with higher voltage (thus they are bigger). 

Well, now I begin to think about upgrades. I switch to another 2 different tubes (1 RCA, 1 Electro Harmonix). Both won't work, except the original generic chinese one. The RCA tube didn't produce sound at all. The EH produces almost no sound, only a very low signal. What does is wrong on my unit?

At the moment the sound is not that great. My DacMagic Plus headphone output can give me cleaner, more precise and pleasant sound.

About the equalizer, I don't like this stuff at all. Certainlly I will bypass it soon after find some replies for my questions. I'm trying figure out how to unset it (yes, I read how to do it on this thread). I tried it on the middle (a little lifeless and lower sound signal) and I tried it on the top (louder sound and it seems distorted). 

I will try the another upgrades as soon as I get more details about my supposed problems.

Thanks in advance.

May 2, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #127 of 172
Sorry to hear of your defective V3. Upgrading those caps is one of many mods I've already done using 2200uf/35v. Deeper bass and higher tolerance is the benefit. Have you adjusted the bias voltage? There's obviously something else wrong with your unit.  If it is new, why not return it under warranty? You may not be able to now after your friend tried to fix it!

May 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #128 of 172
  Sorry to hear of your defective V3. Upgrading those caps is one of many mods I've already done using 2200uf/35v. Deeper bass and higher tolerance is the benefit. Have you adjusted the bias voltage? There's obviously something else wrong with your unit.  If it is new, why not return it under warranty? You may not be able to now after your friend tried to fix it!

Unfortunately I can't return the unit.

To unset (turn it off) the equalizer, should I put all the controllers to the top? Or middle? I could not undertand what is right for this after reading the thread.

I mensured the bias after put the Electro Harmonix tube I there is something wrong (??). Bias are: 18,5 for left channel (problematic) and 16,5 for right channel. Pehaps is this the cause of the problem? 

May 4, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #129 of 172
  Unfortunately I can't return the unit.

To unset (turn it off) the equalizer, should I put all the controllers to the top? Or middle? I could not undertand what is right for this after reading the thread.

I mensured the bias after put the Electro Harmonix tube I there is something wrong (??). Bias are: 18,5 for left channel (problematic) and 16,5 for right channel. Pehaps is this the cause of the problem? 

See #12, p1 of this thread for the answer.

May 4, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #131 of 172
  See #12, p1 of this thread for the answer.

Thanks. I will read it.

For flattest response, sliders all the way up.
Bias voltage should be about 15 volts but it should work at the voltages you listed. I set mine at 15v as a starting point and then fine tune by ear from there.

Alright. There is distortion in the left channel in the way I listed. I will try to change it.

May 4, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #132 of 172

The sound is getting better after the capacitor's fix. It seems like the capacitor burn-in was effecting the sound, this is why Dacmagic built-in headphone amp sounded better at the begin. Now the Bravo v3 amps is sounding better and cleaner, expanded soundstange. Very cool. But I'm still with the problems with tube rolling.

May 4, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #133 of 172
  The sound is getting better after the capacitor's fix. It seems like the capacitor burn-in was effecting the sound, this is why Dacmagic built-in headphone amp sounded better at the begin. Now the Bravo v3 amps is sounding better and cleaner, expanded soundstange. Very cool. But I'm still with the problems with tube rolling.

I really don't think lack of "burn-in" will make an amp sound defective! The amp should sound fine even before any "burn-in" takes place. In fact I believe that most "burn-in" improvements are psycho-somatic as your ears get used to the sound of the new component.

I've purchased plenty of used tubes on eBay and found that most work fine but there are always a few that are marginal and just don't work in the V3. Of course a good seller will make good if a tube is they sold is bad! Are you sure your tubes are all good?

It's possible the distortion you're hearing is the famous crosstalk distortion these amps have when stock. While most people don't notice it, once you do, it can be very annoying! The best way to fix this is to upgrade the MOSFETs to IRL510. this mod alone almost completely removes this distortion. You could also mod the power section to completely remove it but that is one mod I haven't done! The reason is due to the right and left channels sharing the same single power section!

May 5, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #134 of 172

I really don't think lack of "burn-in" will make an amp sound defective! The amp should sound fine even before any "burn-in" takes place. In fact I believe that most "burn-in" improvements are psycho-somatic as your ears get used to the sound of the new component.

I've purchased plenty of used tubes on eBay and found that most work fine but there are always a few that are marginal and just don't work in the V3. Of course a good seller will make good if a tube is they sold is bad! Are you sure your tubes are all good?

It's possible the distortion you're hearing is the famous crosstalk distortion these amps have when stock. While most people don't notice it, once you do, it can be very annoying! The best way to fix this is to upgrade the MOSFETs to IRL510. this mod alone almost completely removes this distortion. You could also mod the power section to completely remove it but that is one mod I haven't done! The reason is due to the right and left channels sharing the same single power section!

About the defect: The defect is not because the "burn-in". I related the "burn-in" to sound quality. Believe me, the sound changed after some days. I had been comparing (plugging and unppluging the headphone in either gears!) both gears. I was disapointed with the V3 but yestarday I felt the changing! Exciting!

The defect happens only when I make tube rolling. I tested 3 differents tubes. My tubes are in good conditions.I used them on my phono preamp, because it used 12AU7 tubes alsol.

About the supposed crosstalkig: The distortion is very high in a channel only! Quite possible any person to feel it! One of the tubes (RCA) simply won't work, no sound at all! Electro Harmonix works with very high distortion on the left channel.

About mods: And yes, I will try saome mods and I would like so much to try the mosfet mod. Nice your suggestions about power supply mod! I liked it!
By the way, IRL510 is veru diffucult to find here in Brazil. IRF510 is easier. What about this (IRF510)?

Thank you! Your message was helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back