Bravo Audio Ocean Review / Appreciation thread
Jun 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pro1137

500+ Head-Fier
Sometimes, we as audio enthusiasts want new gear to power our favorite headphones, but can't afford to spend too much.

Enter Bravo Ocean 

This hybrid tube amplifier is a gem for anyone on a budget that wants the renowned sound that a tube can bring. At $120, the Bravo Ocean is truly spectacular.

I normally find myself using this amp to power my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and Takstar Hi2050. Usually, I find the Hi2050 to be a bit cold and boring, but with the Bravo Ocean amp powering it, the sweet tube sound gives them the warmth that I feel they need. 
Now, with an already warm-ish headphone like the DT770, the Bravo Ocean does not make the sound become boomy or anything, however it does still add a bit of warmth, which I personally find beneficial.

Build - The Bravo Ocean is a stunning piece of gear, be it in terms of anything, including looks and build. The Ocean is very well made in my opinion. 
The body consists of smooth brushed aluminum colored in a cyan hue with a couple stripes near the middle that extend to both ends. The front and back panels are of the same kind of aluminum, except colored black. There's a metal bar that loops around the tube itself. I find the whole presentation to be gorgeous. 
The front has both a 1/4" and 1/8" headphone out. I assume the small jack is for IEMs, but it can also be used with anything that has a 1/8" termination. The volume knob, also in aluminum, and the on/off switch are on the front as well.
The back has the power supply port, a 1/8" line-in, an RCA line-in, and an RCA line-out. I normally use the RCA over the 1/8" jack for whatever reason.

My trusty Monoprice RCA cables shown here, next to the included power supply cable

The Bravo Ocean has a 500mW output power, so it can power just about anything, including low-impedance dynamics. My Hi2050 is 64 Ohm, and it powers it perfectly. With the 16 Ohm dynamic IEMs that I tested, they seemed to be a little sloppy, but I still loved how they sounded.

Sound - As mentioned earlier, the Bravo Ocean has a warm sound signature. This is to be expected, as the Ocean uses a vacuum tube. I think that anything plugged into this amp sounds better.

Overall, I would give this amp a full 10/10 in performance and value. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

So, that's my two cents. 

What do you all have to say about it, if you've tried it? I'd love to get some other viewpoints.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 3
I just have a quick question, I can't seem to find any threads on tube rolling on the Audio Ocean. I ordered a 12AU7 tube for it but have no idea how to replace the tube. Any tips?

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 3
It is a late reply but in case you haven't found the answer yet, open up the top pair of screws on the front and back and gently but firmly pull the top part off. You can now "roll" the the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back