Braver!
Nov 13, 2001 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Hi Braver

Just thought I'd let you know that I received the Michelle Young cd "Marked for Madness" today.

Thumbs up to GFT (mail-order company I use!) They sent it out monday I got it next day.

Given it a quick spin and first impressions are hmmmm its intresting to say the least! Its definietly one for the Kate Bush fan more than the Tori Amos even though there are hints of Tori in there. If you were expecting a widdle tastic epic ala Arena then you're going to be dissapointed in that respect, but I'll give it another couple of listens before making my mind up.

Overall impression is that its very "dark" (if that makes sense) with a few lighter pieces to break it up. I am not going on my "first impression" though as I was knackered from a completly crap day at work again (the servers ran out of space for work just for a change!! Computers cant live with em cant put your boot through em as I saw on a website!!)

Will let you know what I think when I've had a better chance to listen to it.

Cheers

David

PS Nearly forgot! Its quite a good recording for a change!!! Certainly not as bad as jabberwocky was thank god, and you can hear "jabberwocky" style influences throughout certain parts of the album!

Nov 13, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 10
yeah, thats mostly what I got form the DPRP review as well. very Kate and rather dark with some light spots. I love Kate Bush, so that's fine
smily_headphones1.gif

How's Clive playing? the warm layers of "carpets" of sound he plays in Pendragon or more the fidlly plinky plonky stuff from Jabberwocky and Arena - The Visitor? just curious
smily_headphones1.gif
the guy can do everything!

I got a few MP3s from her site that I'll give a few listens to see what I think of her voice
smily_headphones1.gif
first impression: impressively beautifully full voice! "Silence Dripping" is very Kate indeed. "Kiss Me" sounds familiar, a 50's song or something?

ordered both Strangers On A Train discs tho, I'm afraid I'm tied down financially the rest of the year
biggrin.gif
if "my contact" (a proghead too! wellwhaddayaknow) at the orders departement of Ceedeeveedee.nl is able to get them for me that is. he hasn't let me down yet tho.

Nov 13, 2001 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton

PS Nearly forgot! Its quite a good recording for a change!!! Certainly not as bad as jabberwocky was thank god, and you can hear "jabberwocky" style influences throughout certain parts of the album!

ah nice! you really need to put some time into recording female vox, else you get all sorts of nasties in it. Jabberwocky was shoddy indeed, but on average, prog recordings aren't bad, just not very good either. I don't have much of a system so maybe thats clouding up those kind of details, but if there's sibilance in a recording, I get a double dose...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 13, 2001 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
yeah, thats mostly what I got form the DPRP review as well. very Kate and rather dark with some light spots. I love Kate Bush, so that's fine
smily_headphones1.gif

How's Clive playing? the warm layers of "carpets" of sound he plays in Pendragon or more the fidlly plinky plonky stuff from Jabberwocky and Arena - The Visitor? just curious
smily_headphones1.gif
the guy can do everything!

ordered both Strangers On A Train discs tho, I'm afraid I'm tied down financially the rest of the year
biggrin.gif
if "my contact" (a proghead too! wellwhaddayaknow) at the orders departement of Ceedeeveedee.nl is able to get them for me that is. he hasn't let me down yet tho.

With regards to Clives playing I'd have to say both and neither!! Very helpful I know. Best description is that on MOST of the tracks its almost like a soundscape with the keyboards (aside from the orchestration and band)and michelles voice centred, then its the widdly stuff that we are all familiar with!!

Strangers on a train you are going to love!!! Trust me on this one. Sounds stupid but make sure you listen to part one first. Favourite track on that is track 10 where clive and tracy do a deut, (so many favourites on these two its unbeliveable) heard this live on a cassette (that got mangled grrrr)and it absolutely tore the place down!!! Part two will surprise you after that but in a good way. Heck talking of these two makes me want to go and chuck em on right now....

Oh well enjoy em when you get them........

Nov 13, 2001 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 10
wait a minute...Clive is singing on Part 1? I now he sings his lyrics to give the singer (they still have Rob Sowden on this one right?
rolleyes.gif
just hope he makes it till his third..) an impression of how he thinks it should sound, but I never saw him as a singer.

and ofcourse I'll play them in the right order
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2001 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

wait a minute...Clive is singing on Part 1? I now he sings his lyrics to give the singer (they still have Rob Sowden on this one right?
rolleyes.gif
just hope he makes it till his third..) an impression of how he thinks it should sound, but I never saw him as a singer.

and ofcourse I'll play them in the irght order
tongue.gif

Your getting confused mate!! Rob sowden never has been in Strangers. Clive only sings on one song.

Thats it.....

Nov 13, 2001 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 10
with "this one" I was referring to the new Arena album. it's quite impossible to make that up from the text I wrote, I know. I need to go to bed. but I know which singers are on which albums man, when it comes to prog bands, specially the British ones, I know pretty much everything. I AM A FAN REMEMBER?!
wink.gif
didn't know Clive sings on Part 1 tho, pretty cool!

I'm to tired to make sense, that's all...

Feb 12, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
Michelle's finally arrived
smily_headphones1.gif

Great, let us know what you think after a couple of spins! I think my favourite track now is Melissa (or whatever its called!)
smily_headphones1.gif
Everyone else check Michelle Youngs album out NOW especially if your a kate bush fan!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 10
I going to take some time to post some serious impressions. all I've been listening to the last two days is 6DOIT, Dream Theater really has a way of putting you in a mode where everything else sounds bad
smily_headphones1.gif
Marked For Madness is just sounding kinda odd right now
tongue.gif
really something different.

very Kate Bush, no copy-cat tho..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back