Brand spanking new HD580 owner
Jul 1, 2003 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Cynic

New Head-Fier
After lurking the forums for months, pestering my friends and forum gurus with constant chatter about what cans to get, and being chronically indecisive for way too long, I finally got a chance to drive out to Calgary and have a listen for myself. I compared the 580's against the DT931's and it seemed all too obvious. The 580's just blew them out of the water, not even close. I knew that was what I wanted. This might be a little silly but I put in one of my all-time favorite CD's and almost cried listening to it. (so music gets to me sometimes, sue me)

Now, what was almost more of an impulse buy, I also got a Creek OBH-21. It seemed to give me more volume(duh), and made it sound alltogother better. Didn't really make the Bass 'louder' but brought it out better and made it easier to hear. The sound as a whole seemed.. broader, opened it up to me. I'm afraid I havn't been into high-end audio long enough to properly express what I hear, but you'll brobably understand anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
Especially if you own these wonderful cans. The only thing was the amp was painfully pricy (to me, radio shack employee and future starving college student) and I'm trying to decide if the difference in sound is really worth it.

Unfortunatly right now tho, my source is my computer's CD-ROM drive (please don't hurt me) and switching between a direct connection to the soundcard and the amp seems to make less of a difference, but I imagine that shouldn't be too suprising. To put it like I've seen often in these forums, crap-in-crap-out. They still sound great, but it could be better. Apparently my friend is selling off his Cambridge CD player, but I can't remember the model. I'm considering getting it from him, but after the headphones and amp I'm just about broke. I'm trying to figure if it would be worth it. Are there any computer CD-drives that would be better for music, and would really do the Senn's justice? Or is that just hopless.

I definatly need to buy an assload more CD's, but MP3 collection just doesn't cut it anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

So thank you to everybody's past comments and suggestions that helped me to this decision. Any suggestions about a source would be awesome, until then, happy trails
600smile.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 17
At this rate you'll have to change your username here to something else like Believer or something.
tongue.gif
Congrats on the recent purchases. It is always good to hear someone report in that they like their investment into headphone gear.

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 17
Oh, god. These headphones are so awful. Bass heavy, treble recessed, poor midrange, overall veiled sound, just atrocious. I tried removing the protective cloth things in my earcups. They sounded like a pair of Grados, harsh, grainy, disgusting, no bass.

I personally prefer the Sony MDR-V600, which has a more balanced sound, though the bass does not extend very far. It rolls off at about 650hz, giving it a tighter sound, which considering the price, and the quality of the rest of the spectrum, especially 1khz which is quite pronounced, they are an excellent deal.

For the short sighted, I am kidding.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 17
LOL you scared the hell out of me for one. I'm usually pretty gullable but not after hearing something with my own ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and even my MP3's sound better, hehehe

Jul 1, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Cynic
I compared the 580's against the DT931's and it seemed all too obvious. The 580's just blew them out of the water, not even close.

Glad you like the 580s better than the DT931 but id like to add that I really enjoy listening to the DT931 too. Not quite sure why you'd think the 580s is so much better than the DT931.
DT931 is a neutral phone, it has excellent speed and timing, just fabulous to listen to. am excellent phone that is on-par with the senns, even with after-market cable mods.

Jul 1, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 17
Why don't you just take your phones and amp to your friends house and see if you like the cdp? Or better yet, see if he will let you have it for a day to compare directly to your present source?

Jul 2, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 17
He'd probably let me do either Tom. I'd like to have it here to switch between sources and see what I hear.

I should say the DT931's also sounded fantastic, nothing wrong with them at all. One main thing helped me decide between them tho, on the 931's some sounds seemed to sharp. Mostly noticible whenever any person singing made a "s" sound, at louder volumes it made me wince. On the 580's it was still clear and defined, but it wasn't so sharp and biting.

I kinda exaggerated how easy it was to choose, it actually took me quite a long time, almost a couple hours of driving the salesman nuts at General Audio.

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 17
Oh, and I also need to ask a question. Right in the OBH-21 manual it states that the amp should be "burned in" for a good 24 hours. I've also heard that the headphones do well to be burned in properly. What would be a good way to do this? Just leave them overnight playing music semi-loud? Does it matter what kind of music? Also, would it do any harm to listen to them before a burn-in period?

Thanks

Jul 2, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 17
Hey man right on! General Audio is a great place for hifi i bought my rega ear there, they let me listen for a while and didnt pressure me to buy, the only bad thing is he has to show me it on a 1200 dollar cd player with 1200 dollar interconnects which really blew away my present system. Now i need that cd player..
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 17
Cynic, You can just let them play, or you can listen to them it really doesn't matter how they get the time in.

Jul 2, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks.

See, now this is the kind of thing that always happens with me. I JUST got these 580's, really happy with them, and I start reading about the Beyerdynamic 880's.. damm, I'll betcha they sound good... (and it begins)

Jul 2, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 17
The Beyer DT 880's do sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back