Brand new, wanted an assessment
Jun 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 23
Not, it's not. HE-400i hasn't come out yet, it will in July/August. The HE-400 is slightly v-shaped with tizzy treble, but technically very good and fast with superb bass.
HE-400i is to replace HE-400 and 500, is going to be voiced for a warm-ish tone ala the HE-500.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #18 of 23
It redefines what you know as treble, it rocks.

This is exactly how I felt when I heard the 650's. Granted they're a bit darker than the 600 but they probably share the same grain-free tonality. Most other headphones I've owned have had v-shaped signatures with emphasized treble. It's easy to think this is actually natural. It's not.

Sometimes less is more.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #19 of 23
Well, I own HE-500/5LE as fullsize, used to own k701 and dt880, also some portables and other stuff. None of it compares to the natural-ness, grain free, airy presentation of my lambda signature. The simply sound off and wrong in comparison, congested. Just my experience.
Luckily psycho acoustics and the brain works its magic and after extended listening I adjust to the 'unnatural' treble presentation.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #20 of 23
Without having read the whole thread and just answering your first question of "fun, but still near neutral" headphones, I think you should atleast take a glance at the Grado headphones, I think the RS2i is just within your pricerange.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 23
  Without having read the whole thread and just answering your first question of "fun, but still near neutral" headphones, I think you should atleast take a glance at the Grado headphones, I think the RS2i is just within your pricerange.

Well, OP bought hd650, don't hope he'll find it too bland, especially coming from m50 and other bass head headphones.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #22 of 23
Yeah I worry a bit about it, but I am trying to move away from basshead only type listening and will be approaching the HD650s as unbiased and open minded as possible.

In other news, I just picked up a vintage 1970s Kenwood 7300 stereo integrated amp for 20$ from goodwill, had to replace the power fuse and it works flawlessly. Ironically, this thing blows my E12 out of the water when it comes to "bass boosting."

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #23 of 23
  Yeah I worry a bit about it, but I am trying to move away from basshead only type listening and will be approaching the HD650s as unbiased and open minded as possible.

In other news, I just picked up a vintage 1970s Kenwood 7300 stereo integrated amp for 20$ from goodwill, had to replace the power fuse and it works flawlessly. Ironically, this thing blows my E12 out of the water when it comes to "bass boosting."

That is great, damn you lucky person. You are ready for the planars, I see. Next stop is HE-6 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back