Brand new Toy: Rockhopper Millet Hybrid
Apr 24, 2006 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
Arrived some hours ago, looks like it goes through some severe burning in or whatever. Out of the box, it wasn't a big difference to my pimped BTech, maybe slightly brighter, but less soundscape.

2 hours later, Stephens Millet already sounds slightly superior to the BTech. And a modded BTech is a quiete decent amp after all what we've found out over here in D. (I know, quite underdoggish at headfi)

I got some extra 10% more details from the Millet (which I did not miss until now), but not that much more euphonic warmth (original reason for this purchase). I don't mind the latter very much...

Many thanks to Stephen Katsaounis for this brilliant work, I am really glad that I could manage to get one of his last models.

Let's see what happens in the next days...

Edit: Pic
580P1010104.jpg

580P1010100.jpg

580P1010102.jpg

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Glad you like your Millet. I was thinking of getting it too, but then I decided to get the M3 instead... It's coming this week, can't wait!!!
biggrin.gif

Btw, I really dig the orange LED
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 10
I plead guilty for heading you into the decision to purchase that amp, and I hope you'll find a tube/bias combination that provides the syrupy sound you were originally looking for.
I somewhat doubt though your millet will ever sound as euphonic as my E88CC based amp.
My amp has more flaws than I'd like to count, but it works for the intended purpose.Crappy recordings do sound listenable, mediocre stuff sounds better and even the very well recorded/mastered stuff sounds good in an alternative way.
Frankly, by the terms of head-fi or hifi in general my amp is total crap, but I love it, what can I do?
From time to time I switch to THE TRUTH (I do own several rigs), but as far as the majority of my beloved music is concerned the truth is often ugly and I like to cheat.
I digress.
In any case, enjoy ............

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 246
that is one slick looking amp. I just love the look of that volume knob.

The feeling when using that knob is even better (slightly)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
Congrats! Get yourself some decent IC cables tho.

Sorry, but I am a real hardcore non-believer of cable sound.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmopragma
I plead guilty for heading you into the decision to purchase that amp. I somewhat doubt though your millet will ever sound as euphonic as my E88CC based amp.

Yes, it was him, that dominant elderly gorilla of the german hifi forum.
tongue.gif
You're maybe right that this 400V monster E88CC would have served my listening purposes at a higher degree, but let's wait what the muddy 12FM6 tubes are able to "compound". And the health of my son is much more important than the final refinements of my hobby.

I am quite content with this amp although it sounds surprisingly solid state-ish with these superior 12AE6A. Even me woodeared Midfier can sense the qualities of this amp. Listening is much more fun than with my ugly BTech, I fear also because of psychological reasons. Hope I don't get tared and fethered now.

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Sorry, but I am a real hardcore non-believer of cable sound.

You've never tried or you can't hear a difference? My GF can hear clear differences and she doesn't even care about audio.

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 10
I belong to team Midfi. I can't hear a difference. Simply don't manage. Take a look into my sig at that "confused DT880 with HD650 cable". That can worked with some provisorical selfbuilt noname crap cable before.

I might understand a cable exchange FE -> CU with the HD25, but CU -> other CU is Voodoo IMHO. Even more when IC cables are in question.

But I do believe in sound disadvantages because of cable lengths. When I shortened the 2,5m cable of my K81 down to 60cm, I clearly sensed some extra bang.

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 10
Not quite sure already now, but it looks like the tubes need their ~20 or 30min to achieve "final quality of sound". Directly after switching on, the Millet sounds a bit thinnish. Not that much, but...

My explorations about tube lifetimes are inconsistant. Some say lifetime will be low as the tubes are run under slightly higher voltage than originally intended in the 1950s. Others say that tubes in hybrid amps have generally lower "stress" than tubes in "real" tube amps and thus an increased lifetime.

However, haven't come across any thread where dozens of users talked about grilled Millet tubes. Thus I tend to believe the latter optimistical opinion. Moreover, tubes are quite cheap (~3-6$ or so), so I will order 4 tubes of every sort. That should last many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back