Brand new toy: K271
May 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the Beyer sales & distribution lady couldn't really be bothered to look seriously after that. Not an entirely untypical attitude for sales & distribution members...

I agree. While looking for a replacement for my classic DT990 earpads, a Beyer salesman adviced the DT770 earpads
frown.gif

Sounded horrible. 30 Euro wasted.

May 16, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, the pads will remain unidentified. That is really a shame, as they really sound better than the AKG velours pads.
mad.gif

From the pics, I'm more than 90% sure they are DT660 pads.

What do you need for identification?

May 16, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the pics, I'm more than 90% sure they are DT660 pads.

What do you need for identification?

They are called
"Exclusive patented designed "breathable" ear pads, ensuring long term listening comfort" and are used in DT440/860 and DT660
440 and 860 (both open) share the same part
EDT 440/860 Ear pads for DT 440/860 Order # 976.293

DT660 (closed) and has unique part number
EDT 660 Ear pads for DT 660 Order # 976.307

Pretty sure DT660 pads is what you have. If anyone finds where to order those online please post it here.

May 17, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #64 of 83
The Beyerdynamic spare parts online shop only works for us krauts as far as I'm informed...

I guess you both are right with your DT660 suspicion. Thanks for involvement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #65 of 83
Warmed up again:

My buddy has found out which pads are on my K271: It's the DT770 pads (they've been dyed black by a former owner)

So, every K271 who wants more bass, more comfort and more soundscape, organize yourself these Beyer pads.

Part No. 926660 EDT 770 V

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #66 of 83
DT770 really ? wouldn't have though so

In saying more bass what exactly do you mean? Deeper bass or just emphasized? Mid bass?

I'm really wondering what headphone will surpase these for me ..
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #67 of 83
More bass, but the same kind of bass like stock - rather in the face than boooom.

If you want additional deep bass (K81 sort), you wrap adhesive tape around a small tissue "sausage" und put that thingy under the pads. I use that if I'm in loud places where the bass gets sucked out of the music. I don't need it at home.

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #68 of 83
Seems like i will have to try them one day,
my pads are stuffed with cotton, but it's not wrapped in tape so i think the cotton might take away some bass.
My initial impression when doing this, was the phones sounded overall more refined/precise, maybe a little clearer(in the sense of having more heighs) and the soundstage became a little bigger and imaging was a tad better. The downside was less bass impact and it felt less emotional[size=xx-small]probably just the bass[/size]
Of course i couldn't A/B directly

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #69 of 83
That was a good laugh, thank you
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it's a tad weird how people who no doubt are connected to the Internet via a twisted-pair Ethernet cable at some point can be "disbelievers" when it comes to audio cables...

For any cable conductivity and cleanliness of signal matter (as little distortion as possible). Technically, what matters: conductive properties of material a cable's made with (silver's the best, as it remains conductive even when oxygenated, and has the best conductive properties out of all common metals, seconded by copper), arrangement of wires, and electromagnetic screening. So a cable that has wire arranged in twisted pairs (like Ethernet TP cable, see Wikipedia article) and has an EM shield, and has decent OFC wires in it, will sound better than AKG's stock stuff (which isn't shielded, or at least didn't use to be shielded).
Analogue electric sound is transmitted as electric waves with a high frequency (the full term is "electric analogue", an electrical wave analogue to sound waves), so the better latency and lack of deformation in the electrical signal will result in cleaner, better-defined sound.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #70 of 83
[size=medium]Padrolling[/size]

Thanks to my buddy Noxter, who has organised a K271 of his own and lots of exchange pads, we were able to do a more "scientific" comparison of 3rd party velours pads for the K271.

DT770: A nice bass and better treble, but nasal, thin and telephone-like mids.
DT660: Less bass than DT770 pads (but much more than stock still), nice treble, still coloured thin mids, but not as bad as with DT770 pads. Allover better than stock pleather.
K270: Most coherent out of the bunch. Still the mids are a bit "damaged", but nevertheless a huge improvement over stock pleather.

But none of these velour pads managed to sound as good as my pads, which are (as we found out) dyed DT770 pads from headphile. Something must have gone "wrong" when dying them, which accidently stiffened the foam. The result is an almost DT880ish presentation, which really lifts the K271 to another level. None of the other pads come even close to this.

Consequently, we took the dt770 pads a 2nd time and put some adhesive tape over their backwards perforation area - and that attempt came very close to that monstrous sound my set provides. We did not have "good" tape, and we weren't very scientific pasting it over the perforations, so we will have another try next weekend. Stay tuned.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #71 of 83
I put now some textile-adhesive-tape over the perforated area. If its done vey precise it seems to work.
I did it to all beyerpads i have for this test (770Velour, 770VelourBlack, 660V).
By the way, 770velourBlack have another material over the foam, so it is not just a black version of 770velour. Prominent difference is less bass.

To be continued...

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #72 of 83
...next Friday...

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #73 of 83
Nickchen and I made some more padrolling...

_P1010064.jpg

1. 1. colored DT770V by headphile (strong mids, coherent and naturally)
  2. 1. DT770V with taped perforation (bit more bass --> less mids than colored ones, nothing dramatical at all)
  3. 2. K270 stock (nice bass, a bit forwarded mids, bit queeky in the upper mids
  4. 2. K270 with a tape-sausage (similar to taped DT770V, but lots more bass and treble. Question of taste)
  5. 3. K271 pleather (strongest mids of all pads, but thin bass)
  6. 4. DT770VB with taped perforation (similar to DT770V but less bess and queeky recessed mids)
  7. 5. DT660V stock (less bass than pleather, lots of treble, but strange mids)
  8. 5. DT77VB stock (similar to DT660V)
  9. 6. DT660V with taped perforation (similar to stock but very shrill)
  10. 7. DT770V stock (telephone with kickbass)
  11. 7. DT880V stock (shrill, shrill, shrill)

_P1010065.jpg

Isolation-Ranking:
  1. 1. K271 pleather
  2. 2. K270
  3. 3. all Beyerpads
  4. 4. DT880

Except of DT880 isolation is enough with all these pads in most of all situations, I think.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #74 of 83
I'm curious how they will sound with the EDT 330 S.
Those are the black PVC softskin earpads for the DT770.
I had them, but sold them shortly before I got the K271 again
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back