Brand New to Head-Fi - Need some input please
May 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Watchmaven

New Head-Fier
I am new to the world of headphones and been researching my butt off in an attempt to pare down the choices in the $400 down category. I've been using Jays - q Jays for the past few years and find them a bit dull. Plus I'm over the cable noise.

Unfortunately, in Orlando, FL, there  aren't any high-end audio retailers for me to test headphones, so I've taken to the internet. I'm past the initial confusion, got to a list of 20 and now 7. At this point, I'd welcome any input or advise you, the experts, can offer.

Some Background....

1. The majority of time will be spend on a portable device - iPad or iPhone. I will also use on the home entertainment system to watch movies/TV once the rest of the family has gone to sleep.
  2. My musical taste is Classic Rock, Jazz, New Age, Country, Alternative and the occasional crooner (i.e. Sinatra)
  3. I'm not adverse to purchasing a portable amp, if neccessary, to get the most from a new set of cans.
  4. I travel a bit, so portable is preferred but not mandatory, I can tuff it out with my Jays if necessary.
  5. I don't want to disturb people around me so I prefer a closed, full size can
  6. NC could be welcome but not mandatory if they seal well

My reduced list consists of:

1. AKG-k550
  2. Ultrasone - Pro750
  3. Focal Spirit One
  4. PSB M4U 2
  5. Sennheiser 598
  6. AT - M50
  7. Dennon - D2000

My last thought through all the confusion was to scrap it all and pick up a pair of Grado - SR80i to play around with then give them to my 14 yr old after I can get back to NYC where I can test them all.

Lastly, for the past few weeks, I have enjoyed reading your reviews and posts and appreciate the community you all have built. Well done!

Larry

May 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 16
The safest bet would be the ATH-M50.

They are closed.
Do not need an amp.  They sound just great right out of an Ipod.
Work well for travel.
Nice well rounded sound that works well for many types of music.

May 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 16
The V-Moda M80, Denon D2000, Sony ZX700, V55, B&W P5 are closed cans and they sound great with these genres music.

May 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the input thus far. I was unaware that Sony made headphones in the same class as some of the others mentioned. We do have a Sony Store nearby so I can try them. I tried the B&W's at the Apple store and where they were really comfortable, the sound felt a bit flat to me. The vocals were good but nothing exciting in the highs or lows.

Has anyone gotten to hear the Focal, AKG550 or PSB?

May 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 16
The ATH-M50 is the same headset as the Denon DNHP1000, so be cautious when comparing Audio Technica cans to the Denon
wink.gif
.  For almost every Audio Technica there is a Denon equivalent, but with a different model number.
The ATH-M50 was painful to wear after more than 30 minutes of continuous use. The headband has a very firm grip. The D2000 is however far more comfortable for long period of use.

May 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 16
That I did not know. These are the kinds of things you can only find out from those with more experience. Much appreciated.

Please confirm or deny if the 5000's lack good isolation like many of the reviews state. Also, how are they for travel? Will they at least lay flat?

Also, is there a consensus regarding single or double cable and whether or not it's better to have one that's removable.

Again, I appreciate your input.

May 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 16
If travel cans are what you want, neither the D2000 nor the D5000 (with wood ear cups) will meet your needs--nor will the Senn HD 598.

I find that neither of these Denons leak very much, despite word to the contrary.  While you might not want them for recording studio quiet, they are fine for normal use.

Double/single connection to the can is one of personal preference.  It's alway better to have a removable cable because it's easier to repair or recable them.

May 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 16
Denon are not for portable use, sometimes i feel like they are fragile to carry around in a bag. (unless you have a good carrying case for them)

Try the Pro750's instead. 

May 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Welcome to head fi Watchmaven. Along the same lines as picking up an SR80i, the Koss dj100 might be something to consider. Amazon has it on sale right now for 50 something dollars. If you dont like it, you can give it to your daughter or return it to Amazon. I've never heard it, but I've always sort of been intrigued by it. Another head fier, tdockweiller loves it. Says it's the best closed headphone under $200 he's ever heard. Koss Pro DJ100 - The Budget King.

May 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the article on the Koss cans. Very appealing but it appears I'd need to change the earpads and get the right amp. I'm sure I'll become obsessive with headphones like I am with watches, knives and coins but until my "inventory" develops, I'd like to get started with a solid performer and if need be, a good portable amp. That said, the depth of the review was excellent.

To respond to Jackwess: portability would be a bonus but not mandatory as my work travel has diminished...at least for the next year or so.

May 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 16
I got to try the VX700 at the Sony Store today. The mids and highs were nice but the bass was real thin. I tried some of their "heavy bass" cans and the lows were so over-powering that it not only sounded muddy but fake as well. Sorry if my terms are off, I'm learning as I go.

May 16, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Thanks for the article on the Koss cans. Very appealing but it appears I'd need to change the earpads and get the right amp. I'm sure I'll become obsessive with headphones like I am with watches, knives and coins but until my "inventory" develops, I'd like to get started with a solid performer and if need be, a good portable amp. That said, the depth of the review was excellent.

No problem, Tdocks thread that I linked is still active, so if you are intrigued in anyway by the headphone you should post some questions to Tdock in it. Reiterate what you said above about your music preferences and what your looking for. I think the interesting thing about Tdocks affection for the DJ 100 is the other headphones he has listed in his profile. So he has a pretty good frame of reference for what's good about them and what some more expensive headphones do better. As far as the right amp goes, it seems to me that Tdock thinks a $20 Fiio E5 will do the trick, but again this is something you could cover with him directly via a post in that thread. As far as "needing" to change the ear pads that's just part of becoming an obsessive head fier, the sonic journey if you will. My Grado SR60's come with comfies and sound great. Higher end Grado's like the 225 come with bowls and a better cable. So you can tweak an SR60 by switching from comfies to bowls, putting a different cable on it, switching out the plastic cups for wood ones ala an RS!, etc, I mention this only because it's a headphone that I'm familiar with and I did these obsessive things. BTW you cant make an SR60 sound like an RS1, the 225 is a different story though. Start somewhere and enjoy the ride
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
I got to try the VX700 at the Sony Store today. The mids and highs were nice but the bass was real thin. I tried some of their "heavy bass" cans and the lows were so over-powering that it not only sounded muddy but fake as well. Sorry if my terms are off, I'm learning as I go.

In light of this and the need for portable, the Pro 750 is probably the way to go with an affordable portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back