Brand new Shure ES420 defective???
Aug 19, 2008 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

parajba

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I've just bought (from Amazon UK) a pair of brand new Shure ES420 and I'm testing them with my iPod nano.

The songs are from the latest piece of art of the Kings of Leon and a Cafe del Mar mix (chill out). All encoded using iTunes AAC 320 kbps and 48.1 Khz stereo.

Now the issue. The right headphone from time to time produces a strange metallic noise, like a vibration, only when certain notes/music is played. It's quite annoying considering the price I paid for this headphones. With my previous cheap Sony it doesn't happen. Well, it all gets distorted so I don't notice it. To give you an idea, it's the same cracking noise you'd have when you play loud music using a cheap pair of traditional speakers and the tweeter cracks a bit. Is it just a matter of time maybe? are they too new? do they need to be used??? If so, why only the right one?

I tried the same music but from my Denon amply + genuine CDs. The issue is not so evident, I can still hear it but it's not so obvious. Again, only the right one.

I already arranged with Amazon for a refund. And tomorrow after work I'll go to the London distributor (near white heart lane) and buy a new set of Shure ES420. I really like the sound signature. The percussions/drums are simply amazing. Out of this world.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated...am I the first one with this issue? I tried different sleeves,foams sizes pressing the headphone against my ear with my hand etc but it doesn't change a thing.

I called the Shure UK distributer and promptly suggested to apply for a refund and return it if in doubt.

Am I so unlucky?

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 3
I had a similar thing with the last two set of Harman Kardon EP730s. It wasn't something that would work itself out, either. I'd suggest getting an RMA and replacing them, just to be safe.

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a similar thing with the last two set of Harman Kardon EP730s. It wasn't something that would work itself out, either. I'd suggest getting an RMA and replacing them, just to be safe.

Hi Lewislink,

thanks for your help.

I already requested a full refund, been approved, should have my money back in 2/3 days they said. Hats off to Amazon.

I'll buy a new headset today from a local shop, they charge me the same price. Pity, I really like the way they play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back