Brand-new S9 frustrating the hell out of me
Mar 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
I received my brand-new Cowon S9 from BHPhotoVideo today, about 3 hours ago. I connected the player to my computer, saw that it was close to fully charged, and put some music on it, organized in nested folders like Music/ Artist/ Album/

I ejected the S9 and opened the Music menu, tried to open [Artists], and it froze on me. I pressed the reset button and tried again, to the same effect.I reconnected the S9 to my computer, removed all the files I added to the player, and put only a few folders back. I tried to navigate to [Artists] again, only to have it freeze once more.

I reset the player again and navigated into the Music menu, then looked into the various settings. I pressed "Favorites" and was met with an enormous repeating list (all of the items are identical) in Chinese.

It's a brand-new S9, never before used.

My system:
June 2009 MacBook Pro 15-inch
Mac OS 10.5.8
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Due
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 7
I've just had the same problem, after plugging my S9 into a friend's Mac that had Japanese set to the default language
rolleyes.gif

I fixed it by the following:
Connect the player to the computer and delete everything in it. Don't worry, this doesn't screw it up, it's OS is stored in firmware.
Disconnect the player and go to Settings > System > "Clear WMDRM10 licenses" and select Yes
Then click on Load Defaults and select Yes.

That should fix the freezing problem in trying to open any of the Music sub-menu's. It seems to be an issue with the S9 picking up a default language that it cannot support.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just had the same problem, after plugging my S9 into a friend's Mac that had Japanese set to the default language
rolleyes.gif

I fixed it by the following:
Connect the player to the computer and delete everything in it. Don't worry, this doesn't screw it up, it's OS is stored in firmware.
Disconnect the player and go to Settings > System > "Clear WMDRM10 licenses" and select Yes
Then click on Load Defaults and select Yes.

That should fix the freezing problem in trying to open any of the Music sub-menu's. It seems to be an issue with the S9 picking up a default language that it cannot support.

Alright, did that; Now all I see when I reconnect is

DID.bin
nonce.bin
System/
cwsys.inf
Flash UI/
NED_LIC.SYS
PARAM.CFG
radio.ini
sc_db.sdb
VIDEO DB/
EDIT:
I tried to access Music --> [Albums] and it still freezes.

2nd EDIT:
I used Disk Utility & formatted the S9 for MS-DOS/FAT32; now it works swimmingly.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nd EDIT:
I used Disk Utility & formatted the S9 for MS-DOS/FAT32; now it works swimmingly.

I believe that should work, but I also read that it should be an extended(?) partition via Disk Utility -- I vaguely remember reading this in either iaudiophile.net or abi forums.

I had I/O errors galore when I first got my S9 - I'm an Ubuntu user, primarily. I used the Windows Panasonic tool to reformat it and it's been stable, ever since. I also use it on my OSX system occasionally (read and write access) with no issues, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back