Brand NEW pair of Denon ADH-2000....BROKEN and possibly used???
Dec 3, 2011 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

carefullistener

Head-Fier
So i bought this brand new for 350 from alo audio....it came very well packaged, and i even called ahead to request that in specific....

But somehow I recieved a broken....unsealed from QC box with no tape on the openings....rattling around product that doesnt even have that NEW smell that senheissers have or any other new electronic that you buy.

First thing i noticed is that shaking the box caused a severe rattle inside...i just assumed it was an accessory moving around, NOT THE ACTUAL 1/2 of the HEADPHONE!!! Sorry, but this i do not expect for 350 bucks.

Has anyone else experienced this with these headphones? it seems that their design is quite flimsy....only 1 screw to hold the entire headphone ear piece to the head band....thats not very smart.

Anyways...ALO audio is not responding to their Amazon messages....because their mailbox has been full for weeks now....so i was hoping they would catch me here. 

I want to go tomorrow to a retailer close to me to get a new pair in person so i can ensure its brand new...and that its not broken for christ sakes.I hope ALO audio will give me a full refund...as this is the only headphone i have ever ordered that came to me in such poor awful condition....and ironically it was also the most expensive i had ever ordered ^_^

The box was all scratched up and old looking....but what got me the worst was that the headphones had no "NEW" smell on them whatsoever! Every single one of my headphones ive ever gotten, even cheapo ones were smelling like factory chemicals....but this one was like its been outside in the fresh air for months or years.

Has anyone had such experiences with the ADH-2000? It seems that ALO audio are a great retailer...so i know its not their faults most likely, considering how awesome they packaged it...but lets hope they know how to take care of customers in this kind of unpleasant situation =)

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 18
its really a shame considering how awesome these cans are, to have them held together by something so shoddy =(

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 18
Shame to hear this, but I'm inclined to believe they're new or at least new-ish; you've got the "100 years anniversary" promotional material from the box, which I've never seen in a D2000 box. There's a good chance they were just annihilated by the carrier. I don't remember if my D2000's had a sticker seal on the box, but I want to say they didn't (most of my headphones actually haven't, come to think of it - and they're all new from the factory). I do know the D2000's are fairly fragile for what they are, not something you'd want to drop or knock around very much. Not trying to downplay the gravity of the situation, just thinking that your cans probably had a shipping accident and nothing more. If the seller won't respond, contact Amazon directly - they should be able to take care of you; carrier damage claims aren't entirely unheard of, and that's why we have insurance.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 18
all that can be said is

:'(

dam good pair of headphones

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 18
My new set of 2000's did NOT have tape or any seal on the box. Thats just how they ship.

2000's, for sure, are not "just throw them in your backpack" headphones. They are not made of glass, but are not made of steel either. Very sorry! I know I would be p'd off. Just work on getting your replacement set.

But heres the way to know if they were new or not. Did the flat part that connects the adjustment for the ear pads to the band have layers of clear pull of plastic on it? You know, the kind of stuff they put on the screen of your new phone or the top of a new laptop? If not I would suspect they were used.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Get a refund and don''t pay $350 for a set of Denon D2K's, I picked up a brand new pair for $230.

This may have been a blessing in disguise.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 18
Do a search, it's a well documented issue - this 1 screw issue is their achilles heel - wonder when Denon plan to fix this issue.

They're a $500 rrp headphone out here in Oz, hardly inspiring and it's not an easy fix.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 18
I ordered a pair of D7000 that came in the exact same condition in their pleather case.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
I ordered a pair of D7000 that came in the exact same condition in their pleather case.

Ouch. That's not even remotely funny.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 18
Hmm, thats horrible really. I wonder if this has been fixed by say a modder. After a certain point im sure someone has got to have tried something, rather than have a broken old set. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 18
Lol broken screw issue... yeah I fixed a couple pairs of D2000's you just have to make a trip to the hardware store. Yes you definitely got a crappily handled pair of headphones and I wouldn't just apply a band-aid to it although there is a good chance of this happening on it's own.

Before:

After:

I'm not exactly Tim the Toolman Taylor, but you should be able to bring your Denons to a hardware store and eyeball what'll work for you. It was harder in my scenario since I had to use a broken screw extractor since only the head of the screw snapped off. I then applied the "fix" to both sides. A replacement from Denon was going to take 4-8 weeks from HQ which wass no bueno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back