Brand new KRK KNS 8400s barely even work??
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rentaro

New Head-Fier
Okay so I read sooo many good reviews of the KRK KNS 6400 and 8400 so I decided to buy a pair. I'm kind of new to the expensive headphone market and these are the most expensive headphones i've ever bought in my life (£100). Maybe i just got a faulty pair but I am very disappointed with them. Even at max volume they BARELY make any sound at all like seriously, i can barely even hear them. But it's weird though because at the very start of a song (for like 5 seconds) it will be very loud and that's the way i would like them to be, but then for some reason it goes REALLY quiet and it's so frustrating. Is this something that a headphone amp can fix or are these headphones really supposed to be like this? Because if that's the case then i am going to return them tomorrow.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 11
  Okay so I read sooo many good reviews of the KRK KNS 6400 and 8400 so I decided to buy a pair. I'm kind of new to the expensive headphone market and these are the most expensive headphones i've ever bought in my life (£100). Maybe i just got a faulty pair but I am very disappointed with them. Even at max volume they BARELY make any sound at all like seriously, i can barely even hear them. But it's weird though because at the very start of a song (for like 5 seconds) it will be very loud and that's the way i would like them to be, but then for some reason it goes REALLY quiet and it's so frustrating. Is this something that a headphone amp can fix or are these headphones really supposed to be like this? Because if that's the case then i am going to return them tomorrow.

You will have to give us more information about the rest of your system.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 11
well i just tried them on my PC and they are perfect and loud, but on my phone and tablet there is literally barely any sound and also when i plug them into my guitar amp there is NO SOUND AT ALL for some reason.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 11
Your guitar amp has a 1/8" headphone jack? That's unusual.

Are you getting sound from both ears, or is it possible that you are only hearing one side? I'm thinking there could be something wrong with the plug or the cable. Is it possible you have a case or cover on your phone and tablet that is slightly interfering with being able to plug the headphones all the way in?

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 11
The KNS comes with 1/4" adapter.

Mine works just fine when plugged into my iPod and my friend's Sony Xperia.
I don't believe your phone or table is underpowered for the KRKs though.
Or yeah, as @billybob_jcv said, should you have case on your phone or tablet, the jack might not plugged deep enough.
But if it's not the case, then maybe a faulty pair?

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Okay guys i figured out the problem. I needed an amplifier. I bought one the other day and everything is perfect now. These headphones are AMAZING! I have one question though, can using them on my guitar amp ruin them? It sounds highly unlikely but i remember someone saying this. Like something to do with the sound frequency it puts out? Sounds like BS to me though.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Every amp has a maximum amount of power that it can deliver to the headphone jack. Every headphone has a maximum amount of power it can absorb without damage. Yes, turning up the volume increases the voltage being output by the amp, and that translates into more power being sent to the headphones. I have no idea whether that risk exists for your headphones and your amp, I'm just suggesting that in theory it is possible. I suspect it is unlikely to be a problem and even if it were possible, the volume level would need to be quite high.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Okay guys i figured out the problem. I needed an amplifier. I bought one the other day and everything is perfect now. These headphones are AMAZING! I have one question though, can using them on my guitar amp ruin them? It sounds highly unlikely but i remember someone saying this. Like something to do with the sound frequency it puts out? Sounds like BS to me though.

I had the same problem with low volume when I plugged my 8400's into my laptop. They really do need an amplifier. Seems that all truly good speakers and headphones need a good amplifier to come alive anyway. Until I get the Little Dot MkIII I am saving for, my good old Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp is what I am plugged into for now. These headphones ROCK!

... and my wife does not complain about my music anymore
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back