Brand new HD660S2 are clipping at moderately high volume; same issue with ifi Hip Dac 2 & ifi Zen Dac v2/Zen Can stack.
Aug 1, 2023 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Yarbles

Head-Fier
These just arrived & I am concerned/disappointed/confused.

Got them during Prime Day sale. I'm in Thailand and it's going to be a total nightmare to return them (and Amazon are refusing to replace - only refund!!!).

I really like them in general BUT I feel they should not be severely clipping at 10 o'clock on my Hip Dac 2 (not at an especially powerful device) / 9 o'clock on my Zen Dac v2 / Zen Can stack. This is with x bass turned on (on both the Hip Dac & the ZD2/ZC stack).

This is not a volume I'd usually listen to music or game at. But I am concerned that this issue is a defect and could cause further problems down the line.

It's the sub bass frequencies that cause the clipping - mids & highs are totally fine.

The clipping starts on left side and as I push louder, the right starts going as well.

I was a club DJ for 15 odd years and used nothing but Sennheiser HD25 & these could certainly handle far more volume - I know theyre not the same device, but I really thought that Sennheiser 6XX line are also part of their 'built to last/professional use' line (yes unofficial but you know what I mean) - especially given these are usually 600 USD headphones & are a new take a on a classic with a focus on bass - I can't help but feel disappointed they they can't handle bass at such volume with ease.

Do I have a defective pair, or were my expectations too high?

I know I could be wrong here (and I may be being silly as I'll never really listen to music at this level anyway) - but I can't help but feel disappointed.

I am fairly new to home audio set ups that aren't studio monitors, or headphones that aren't for DJ use... but since I no longer do that & like to listen to my music loud, I've just got into the headphone & IEM/amp dac thing... so like I said, this def could be on me.

If they are defective - Amazon, the bastards, really have me by the balls as they won't replace, only refund (despite stating they will replace or refund within 30 days - something I think it should be fair to assume would be my choice) & that will take ages.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 8
More likely the amps just aren't up to task. The HipDAC is not a source of recommend for hard to drive headphones, it's not particularly powerful as you said. I've also seen people have issues with iFi amps using their stock PSU. Do you have any other sources to test? It's a long shot, but I have a feeling the headphones aren't the issue here.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 8
More likely the amps just aren't up to task. The HipDAC is not a source of recommend for hard to drive headphones, it's not particularly powerful as you said. I've also seen people have issues with iFi amps using their stock PSU. Do you have any other sources to test? It's a long shot, but I have a feeling the headphones aren't the issue here.
I wouldn't have been surprised if the Hip Dac 2 had issues - this was bought for IEMS, but I think the Zen Stack should really be able to do the job reasonably well - I also have HD800 (original/not S) & those sound absolutely incredible on this setup - but we're not dealing with low frequency bass with those. I sadly don't have any other potentially suitable sources.

The clipping sound I am getting sounds akin to a blown speaker.

Thanks for your reply.

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Bizarrely changing from the 4.4 to the 6.35 jack has made a drastic improvement. Still not perfect, but the problems start occurring at much louder levels.

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Based on what I've read in other threads here your best bet is probably to replace the power supply for the amp. Or just replace the amp.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 8
These just arrived & I am concerned/disappointed/confused.

Got them during Prime Day sale. I'm in Thailand and it's going to be a total nightmare to return them (and Amazon are refusing to replace - only refund!!!).

I really like them in general BUT I feel they should not be severely clipping at 10 o'clock on my Hip Dac 2 (not at an especially powerful device) / 9 o'clock on my Zen Dac v2 / Zen Can stack. This is with x bass turned on (on both the Hip Dac & the ZD2/ZC stack).

This is not a volume I'd usually listen to music or game at. But I am concerned that this issue is a defect and could cause further problems down the line.

It's the sub bass frequencies that cause the clipping - mids & highs are totally fine.

The clipping starts on left side and as I push louder, the right starts going as well.

I was a club DJ for 15 odd years and used nothing but Sennheiser HD25 & these could certainly handle far more volume - I know theyre not the same device, but I really thought that Sennheiser 6XX line are also part of their 'built to last/professional use' line (yes unofficial but you know what I mean) - especially given these are usually 600 USD headphones & are a new take a on a classic with a focus on bass - I can't help but feel disappointed they they can't handle bass at such volume with ease.

Do I have a defective pair, or were my expectations too high?

I know I could be wrong here (and I may be being silly as I'll never really listen to music at this level anyway) - but I can't help but feel disappointed.

I am fairly new to home audio set ups that aren't studio monitors, or headphones that aren't for DJ use... but since I no longer do that & like to listen to my music loud, I've just got into the headphone & IEM/amp dac thing... so like I said, this def could be on me.

If they are defective - Amazon, the bastards, really have me by the balls as they won't replace, only refund (despite stating they will replace or refund within 30 days - something I think it should be fair to assume would be my choice) & that will take ages.
So, are you double bass boosting or did I read that wrong? Because that would be a problem. And are you maxing out the bass boost?
I don't know your machines, but I do have an iFi amp and it has three levels of bass boost. I can't use level three as it is too messy. I use level two occasionally. And EVERYTHING can use some level one. :smile:

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 8
So, are you double bass boosting or did I read that wrong? Because that would be a problem. And are you maxing out the bass boost?
I don't know your machines, but I do have an iFi amp and it has three levels of bass boost. I can't use level three as it is too messy. I use level two occasionally. And EVERYTHING can use some level one. :smile:
No haha - I meant I used bass boost on both the stack (CAN only - not on both CAN and ZD2) and also on the HD2. A little annoyed I can only use the huge jack and not the 4.4, but whatever - this stack is a stopgap until I can afford something more serious - and in all fairness for the price I really can't complain. Ive tried the 800 & 660S2 on far more expensive amps and if we're talking about diminishing returns... dac/amps look ridiculous even compared to this on IEMs. I've heard 3000-4000 USD seta that I don't think are as good as my Mangird Tea 2... all subjective of course

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 8
I would put the fault on your system, unless the headphone is broken. Can you test out a higher quality amp and DAC or DAC/amp around you? You would have your answer in two minutes.
Is there a shop anywhere around you where you could test out a piece with your S2's anywhere in your area?

My S2's love a bit of bass boost, but I don't drive them hard in volume or bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back