Brand new ER-4p's lacking bass?
Jan 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Harimwakairi

New Head-Fier
I received a pair of Etymotic ER-4P canalphones as a Christmas gift this year and have begun listening with them. While I really enjoy the increased clarity compared to my $50 Sony phones, they seem to have almost no bass output, even when I use the "Bass Booster" EQ setting on my iPod. While I'm not a person who's addicted to overcharged bass, I do like my Dire Straits CDs to sound as melodramatic as Mark Knopfler intended them.

Could this be a break-in issue? Should I plug my iPod in the charger and just let it output sound through the phones for a week or so?

Is this something that a headphone amp might alleviate? Is that what they're for?

Is it a characteristic of good phones that they produce less bass than cheaper ones? I briefly owned a pair of Grado SR-80's, and I remember them also putting out less bass than I was used to.

Sorry if these are noobish questions. I swear I tried the search button before posting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 42
I dont really think etymotics are good at bass output (my er6i's are a little lacking in bass impact too), but as long as your seal is good theres not really too much you can do (unless amping them will help, but I dont reall yknow too much about that).

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Is it a characteristic of good phones that they produce less bass than cheaper ones?

A lot of people around here seem to think so...
etysmile.gif

The Ety IEMs excel at reproducing high-end transparency & detail but are decidedly lacking in bass output. Some would call that characteristic 'accurate' and maybe it is, but it's also not particularly fun or engaging.

An amp will help somewhat but it won't change the basic sound characteristics of the phone.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 42
First, you need to adjust from your usually warm Sony's. Don't switch back and forth, just stick with the Ety's.

Second, get some Shure soft flex sleeves. E3c/4c/5c will fit. Or the Comply tips that seal in bass better. The Ety tips aren't great for bass. Use the search function for more info.

Rockbox your ipod. The custom EQ could be of help as well as crossfeed etc.

If all else fails, get the Xin amp with the built-in impendance adapter and bass boost. Then you will have ER-4S plus some nice bass.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 42
Yea I have the ER4P's and I don't think they lack bass at all. They are balanced is what I call it. If you don't like the balanced and want more boomy then I sugggest an amp or better EQ. I use the Westone Comply tips and it's much better bass then the tri-flanged. Just get used to the balance and don't listen to your Sony's for a while. It will grow with you and you will learn to enjoy the detail and clarity of the Etymotics. I will never switch my 4P's with anything els.
etysmile.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 42
Since it is your first post, i would think that this is your first IEM. Before getting all fussy, i recommend you take the time to insert them properly. It took me a about 2-3 hours before i finally figured out how to insert IEMs or canalphones the first time through. It is way much different than using earbuds and you actually have to find your ear canal opening and insert them that way.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 42
Owning the Etymotic ER-4P's...try switching to the foam tips. These will give you a much better seal, thus increasing your low end frequencies.

By owning the Etymotic, you own a very detailed and accurate IEM. Should you decide the sound isn't for you, a nice change would be the Shure E4C's...which I owned previously.

E4C's are highly detailed, but give you that low end which you are seeking.

Dave

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 42
its a case of getting used to the new sound of your iems, as well as perfecting the fit of the new etys. give it a couple of weeks. every time i got new iems, it took me over a week to get used to both the fit and the new sound of my new cans. i have realised that it takes a while for the appreciation to set in because of the above reasons.
give it time...

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 42
Bass is not one of the ER-4p's strengths. They excel in clarity and highs. If a fuller low end is important, you will probably be happier with something like the UE 5Pro or Shure E4. I own all thee and find E4's have the best compromise.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harimwakairi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if these are noobish questions. I swear I tried the search button before posting.
smily_headphones1.gif

rs1smile.gif

There's some good advice in this thread:

* Some people find that using the foamie tips gives the ER-4P/S better low end. They tend to seal better than the silicon triflanges for some people as well. It all depends on the shape of your ear canal.

* Make sure you take the time the learn the proper insertion technique to ensure a good seal. A good seal is of PARAMOUNT importance in getting the best sound out of an IEM. An improper seal will result in exactly what you've described - almost zero bass response.

* Most IEMs, the ER-4P included, use transducers to produce sound and do not "break in" like a diaphragm-based headphone driver would. What you hear is what you get right out of the box.

Enjoy your Etys! They're one of the best IEMs on the market.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Is it a characteristic of good phones that they produce less bass than cheaper ones? I briefly owned a pair of Grado SR-80's, and I remember them also putting out less bass than I was used to.

In my opinion, a characteristic of a good headphone is to attempt to reproduce the sound in it's intended form, and that means no boomy and muddy bass. While the Etymotics may not offer volumes of bass that will blow them out of your ear canals, it offers a tight and precise sounding bass rather than flappy and muddy bass most people are use to. Your ears may not be use to that fact, but after using the Etymotics for a while it will grow on you and you should be able to point out the difference.

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. Seems like the best thing to do is make sure I'm getting a good seal and then give them a few weeks to see if I get used to the sound. I'll give that a try.

Good decision.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back