Brand-new busted V-Modas
Apr 21, 2007 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

newspaperguy

100+ Head-Fier
So I just received these things, go to plug them into the iPod to make sure they work, carefully pull out the plug, and this is what happens.

What? I've heard Vibes are prone to this happening, but the FIRST TIME OUT? You've got to be kidding me. I know some heatshrink can resolve this problem, but according to the warrany, any mods will nullify their guarantee.

Do ALL Vibes come busted like this, or did I just get a "Monday" headphone?

Should I send these back?

This is very frustrating.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 17
You have three options:

1.) Return it to where you got it from (may be unethical)

2.) Send it into the company for a RMA

3.) Not really one, but try and research on better sounding and quality 'phones in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 17
return and ask for a new one...its a defective unit imo...tell them whats broken and you should be fine

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 17
I don't think that heatshrink will repair this, because the whole metal casing come away from the plastic support shell. You could try glueing it, but honestly considering how good v-mode's customer service is your far better sending them your details and this pic and then having them RMA'd.

Industrially speaking - considering how many plastic's to metal joints that I've seen fail over the years I'm suprised that v-moda went with what to me is such a obvious prone to failure joint. Even standing on the shelf unused I've seen metal to plastics parts come out of store only to fall apart in the hand, one reason why I've glue cored heatshrink sleeved my pair of Vibe's... mind you I used a smart shade of ruby red only I didn't want to spoil their good looks
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 17
Agreed - the heatshrink mod would not have prevented this. The benefits of the mod are to decrease the amount of stress of the cable against the metal plug, and to provide a much grippier surface for the plug.

If you just got them, I would try to return it to the place you bought them from first - I don't see any problem with doing this since they were obviously defective.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Maybe something went wrong on the QC after pre-production, cause my pair has been beaten around for months now and they're still holding up awesome.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 17
Sorry to hear about your problem with the Modas. I say send it back, their customer service is very good. I will add that I have not experienced any problems with the plug on mine. Good luck.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 17
I haven't had a problem and I used them a fair amount before I super glued all the joints. I am looking at them now and can see how the strain could be a problem because with molded plastic the cable would be gripped by the molded section but with metal there is no real grip on the cable. Sounds like a problem during manufacturing to me but I hope they also do something to reinforce stress points. I still find the sound very enjoyable and I find I can walk around with mine and hear what is going on but not so with the UM2's as the UM's block out everything making them dangerous to walk outside with, at least for me.

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for the tips, all. They will be sent back to Amazon for a refund. Unfortunately this may be the end of my short-lived usage of V-Modas: Once burned, twice shy.

Since I'm looking for "quasi-isolation" like I wrote about here that is in between my Shures and just regular buds like MX500s, I think I'll go back to some Sony MDR-EX90s. I was sent some of these for review a few months ago and really liked them as a mid-grade bud that's good for the office since they can be taken out frequently and much easier than the Shures.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 17
I think you made the right decision by getting a refund.

My Vibe cables broke at the jack after 6 weeks of easy use.
Unfortunately, I probably can't get a refund. So in a way, maybe you are lucky - you can get a refund and put the money toward a different model (like Superfi.5's or EB, according to your budget - highly reccomend checking out 5's if you can put a few more bucks into it).

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by IRunWithScissors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why V-Moda, why? The jack does look very slick, but why so cheap?

Thats the part that bugs me: A few months ago when some sharp headfiers raised early concerns about the sharp-metal-edged-jack-rubbing-against-cable issue, the co. basically said "We've done extensive tests and the jack has a ).003% failure rate; neglible." (that number is off - but thats the gist...)

All the company has said so far is -- the jack and cable are great! Yay!

Please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back