Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Jul 12, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #166 of 728
  Got a chance to listen to the S5 today, I have to say, it sounds a lot like the S1's signature...  But done right.  It's still a bassy signature, but it's done properly. 

The low end has a nice large body to it with strong impacts that can boom.  The sub-bass texturing has a lot of fluidity to it and can even rumble at times.  This rumbling sub-bass gives the presence of a large sound stage; it's quite euphoric.  Depth and presence is not a problem with the bass by any means. 

The midrange is purely created to be smooth.  This sacrifices some details and any sort of aggression that the mids could have, but the straight fluid-smooth midrange you get in return is worth it in many ways (and I'm not one to like colored sound).  Vocals have a lush and deep tonality to them.  They don't quite hit the higher octaves of the human vocal range, but the depth that the voice has is simply inviting.  The upper midrange offers ample clarity to add a bit of energy to the midrange. 

The treble has a very comforting snap to it that isn't overdone.  Rather, it gives good detailing and offers good extension without becoming overbearing.  The upper treble sparkles beautifully with great smoothness to them.  They offer good clarity and detailing as well.  Extension is ample enough for most instrumentals.  It should be noted, however, that the air is missing from these IEMs.

The S5 sound very...  Euphoric?  Engulfing?  Enticing?  All three words would easily describe this IEM.  It's definitely a very fun IEM to listen to and get lost with. 

this my impression too , a bit too much of bass , just tame the bass and this can be an excellent earphone .

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #170 of 728
  Or you could just EQ it to your liking...

i can but i have set a standard for every phone . my review is due and i think i will compare it to ue600 , ckx9 , xba-h1 , xba-3 and re-400 . i can say that s5 is clearly miles ahead of ckx9 and xba-h1 in clarity and imaging , lets see how it stacks up against others .
as for now my ranking goes like . ckx9 last , then xba-h1 , ue-600 , xba-3 is just behind and yes s5 is catching up to re-400 , it will be  war between re-400 , s5 and xba-3 ( all unamped ) . i will burn s5 with pink noise for another 15 hrs and i think my review will be up in a 2-3 days .

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #171 of 728

i can but i have set a standard for every phone . my review is due and i think i will compare it to ue600 , ckx9 , xba-h1 , xba-3 and re-400 . i can say that s5 is clearly miles ahead of ckx9 and xba-h1 in clarity and imaging , lets see how it stacks up against others .
as for now my ranking goes like . ckx9 last , then xba-h1 , ue-600 , xba-3 is just behind and yes s5 is catching up to re-400 , it will be  war between re-400 , s5 and xba-3 ( all unamped ) . i will burn s5 with pink noise for another 15 hrs and i think my review will be up in a 2-3 days .

That's ok. I look forward to your final analysis
smile.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #172 of 728
I like to see some impressions against single dynamics,sub$50 & sub$100 price bracket IEMs than bright,different signature BA ones,as we all know, and yeah $105 Altone200 is very close and even if it has a street price of $125 (T-peos confirmed,not me)is close,IMHO,than placing it in the $150 range.:wink:

To these excellent IEMs what head-fi witnessed and enjoyed recently,by many,includes me.........AT(IM/Ckr lineups) ,vsonic (vsd1/3, GR07,etc), havi B3, Ostry-KC06/A,,ZA -Tenore,pistons to name a few and most of us possess them to make a comparison w/S5 ........and keep the rhythm going.........

Removable cable would've been so nice at this price point,imo.:D

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #173 of 728
I like to see some impressions against single dynamics,sub$50 & sub$100 price bracket IEMs than bright,different signature BA ones,as we all know, and yeah $105 Altone200 is very close and even if it has a street price of $125 (T-peos confirmed,not me)is close,IMHO,than placing it in the $150 range.
wink.gif

To these excellent IEMs what head-fi witnessed and enjoyed recently,by many,includes me.........AT(IM/Ckr lineups) ,vsonic (vsd1/3, GR07,etc), havi B3, Ostry-KC06/A,,ZA -Tenore,pistons to name a few and most of us possess them to make a comparison w/S5 ........and keep the rhythm going.........

Removable cable would've been so nice at this price point,imo.
biggrin.gif

Well then...pick up a set and do said comparison yourself 
wink_face.gif

I personally don't see much of a point in removable cables for IEM's, cans, yes, but not IEM's. I also believe that some of the IEM's you listed above have already been compared to the S5, check through the posts to see.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #174 of 728
Got a chance to listen to the S5 today, I have to say, it sounds a lot like the S1's signature...  But done right.  It's still a bassy signature, but it's done properly. 

So do you think its worth paying additional $40 for S5, which has the same signature of S1? I have a pair of S1,pls advice.....

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #175 of 728
So do you think its worth paying additional $40 for S5, which has the same signature of S1? I have a pair of S1,pls advice.....

Yes, no question. The S5's signature is more mature than an S1's. It's not the same at all. S1's are good for their price point, no doubt, but the S5's are hitting well above that weight class. As with many Brainwavz IEM's they have a penchant for being a great bargain as they compare to IEM's costing even more. One thing is crystal clear to me and many on this thread: The S5's are well worth what you pay for them. Period.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #176 of 728
Well then...pick up a set and do said comparison yourself :wink_face:

I personally don't see much of a point in removable cables for IEM's, cans, yes, but not IEM's. I also believe that some of the IEM's you listed above have already been compared to the S5, check through the posts to see.

Cool......im just trying to get some answers by posting some legit queries,reasonable expectations....looks like it cant be addressed professionally,to me. Not a problem.:D
oh yeah,ive been following this thread with my fullest conscious mind since day 1 and no need someone to boss me around to cover their immatured.:rolleyes:

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #177 of 728
Yes, no question. The S5's signature is more mature than an S1's. It's not the same at all. S1's are good for their price point, no doubt, but the S5's are hitting well above that weight class. As with many Brainwavz IEM's they have a penchant for being a great bargain as they compare to IEM's costing even more. One thing is crystal clear to me and many on this thread: The S5's are well worth what you pay for them. Period.

K....duly noted and appreciate the response.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #178 of 728
Cool......im just trying to get some answers by posting some legit queries,reasonable expectations....looks like it cant be addressed professionally,to me. Not a problem.
biggrin.gif

oh yeah,ive been following this thread with my fullest conscious mind since day 1 and no need someone to boss me around to cover their immatured.
rolleyes.gif

Your not even worth an intelligent answer......why do I always get at least one like you on all my threads....sheesh. if you feel like your being "bossed around"(??) do go elsewhere and be at peace then. 

We now continue with our regularly scheduled S5 thread 
wink_face.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #179 of 728

The S5 is definitely a big step up from the S1 in almost every way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back