Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #121 of 728
I'm actually a bit excited to try an IEM that is meant to be worn behind the ear instead of straight down. I have tried it with a few different IEM's and it hasn't worked to well for me, but these are meant to be worn that way, so hopefully they work better this way. Hopefully they sound as balanced as some are saying here. The IEM I use the most is the Vsonic GR01. Hopefully these sound close, but have the dynamic driver sound. I have an RE-Zero and am not really a fan of it, so hopefully this is a good combination of the two. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #122 of 728
Alright. Now I'm intrigue. Just read a few impression & comments from the thread and you guys got me very excited to have a listen to the S5. Wow the market is flowing with amazing new earphones these days. Are we lucky or what?

Subscribed and will report on due time on these.  
etysmile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #123 of 728
In a few more hours I'll have 75 hours of burn in. It's hard resisting the temptation to pull them off my little burn in station and have a quick listen. I will say that so far I'm quite impressed with the build of these IEM's. They seem very solid and sturdy and I prefer the rubbery flat cable to the plasticky flat cable on my TDK IE800's. I'm hoping these will be a huge improvement as far as isolation and microphonics for working out and especially running. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #124 of 728
Microphonics are not good - especially for running.  Problem is that the cable is reasonably solid, and quite rubbery.  Even with the cinch I'm getting a lot of cable noise.  Not so bad for walking.  Sound though is really growing on me.  Very non-fatiguing, and love the fit ergonomics.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #125 of 728
  Microphonics are not good - especially for running.  Problem is that the cable is reasonably solid, and quite rubbery.  Even with the cinch I'm getting a lot of cable noise.  Not so bad for walking.  Sound though is really growing on me.  Very non-fatiguing, and love the fit ergonomics.

Well then, you need to clip it to your shirt or belt, that's what I do if moving around a lot. The trick to quelling microphonics is stopping, as much as you can, the cable from flopping around. I don't run at all, lol, so keeping the cable calm is easy for me to do. These aren't nearly as noisy as my round cabled IEM's, the cinch really does help for me as it's very tight and doesn't loosen up much on me even after a few hours straight use. 

I also love the fit over my ears, these are the first over ear IEM's I've used that feel comfy for long periods of use. I have very sensitive ears as they get sore if bent or pressed on for more than a few minutes, the S5's I barely even notice at all. The use of rubber instead of hard plastic really helps here. The fit will of course be different for everyone, but the S5's are really comfy for me, and that's half the equation for listening enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #126 of 728
  Well then, you need to clip it to your shirt or belt, that's what I do if moving around a lot. The trick to quelling microphonics is stopping, as much as you can, the cable from flopping around. I don't run at all, lol, so keeping the cable calm is easy for me to do. These aren't nearly as noisy as my round cabled IEM's, the cinch really does help for me as it's very tight and doesn't loosen up much on me even after a few hours straight use. 

I also love the fit over my ears, these are the first over ear IEM's I've used that feel comfy for long periods of use. I have very sensitive ears as they get sore if bent or pressed on for more than a few minutes, the S5's I barely even notice at all. The use of rubber instead of hard plastic really helps here. The fit will of course be different for everyone, but the S5's are really comfy for me, and that's half the equation for listening enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope - I need to tell it how it is - without glossing anything over.  I love the fit.  I like the sonics.  They are very comfortable.  But the cable (for me) is an issue.  I'm wearing it over my ears, I have it cinched properly.  I'm still getting cable noise.  It's fine walking - but for jogging - it's noisy.  The cable is simply too rubbery.  Comparatively - I've done same with the DN-1000, RockJaw Alfa Genus, and T-Peos Altone200 - and none of these are as microphonic as the S5.

If I could have the A-G or A200 cable with these - I would be a very happy lad.

The one thing I will not do is gloss over issues as I see them.  If I start doing that, my credibility goes out the window.

Despite this issue though - these really do have a nice tonality to them.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #127 of 728
I always wear my running 'phones over my ears and down the back of my neck (clipped to the back of my collar) and down my shirt, thru the arm hole and into the strap holding my iPod on my arm. Very little microphonics with my other headphones. If it wasn't thunderstorming outside I'd take 'em out for a spin.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #128 of 728

Nope - I need to tell it how it is - without glossing anything over.  I love the fit.  I like the sonics.  They are very comfortable.  But the cable (for me) is an issue.  I'm wearing it over my ears, I have it cinched properly.  I'm still getting cable noise.  It's fine walking - but for jogging - it's noisy.  The cable is simply too rubbery.  Comparatively - I've done same with the DN-1000, RockJaw Alfa Genus, and T-Peos Altone200 - and none of these are as microphonic as the S5.

The one thing I will not do is gloss over issues as I see them.  If I start doing that, my credibility goes out the window.

Gloss over? How is using common sense and clipping down a cable when running(any cable, I wasn't just referring to the S5's) glossing over something? it was a solution to the problem you put forth. It's got nothing to do with credibility and everything to do with suggesting a fix to a common problem. End of story. Maybe you shouldn't read so much into what folks post....it really was just what I said, nothing more.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #129 of 728

Flag on the play there!!
biggrin.gif
Saying it twice is calling him out on it. If it's not an issue for someone else it may just not be an issue. To say they are glossing over it and talking about credibility can be a bit insulting. That said, I think the cable is too much the rubbery kind and it tends to grip on itself and things a bit much for my liking. I don't have a problem with noise more than potential pulling/snagging. I would have preferred the glossier, more plastic-like material of the Tenore cable or the flat cable of the Beyer DX 160 I have on hand to compare to the S5. Not a deal breaker just not the most well behaved of cables :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #130 of 728
  • There is no shirt clip included
  • Do I have a shirt clip - yes.  Do I like wearing them - no.
  • In my normal use - these are a little microphonic.  Thanks for the suggestions - but I'm just pointing out that they are - especially compared to some other IEMs which I know well.
  • Would suggest someone else go for a run - with the S5 properly fitted, and cinched - without a shirt clip (as none was provided), and then they can report their findings.

Now if we reread my post above in a calm manner with no hint of tone, you'll see it as I wrote it.  I'm relating my actual experience with the S5 to date.  Isn't that what this thread is about?

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #131 of 728

Flag on the play there!!
biggrin.gif
Saying it twice is calling him out on it.

If it was taken that way - then I apologise.  It wasn't intended.  And thanks for the heads up on it - I shall be more careful with my diction in future 
smile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #132 of 728

If it was taken that way - then I apologise.  It wasn't intended.  And thanks for the heads up on it - I shall be more careful with my diction in future 
smile.gif

Apology accepted...not that it was really needed honestly 
biggrin.gif
 We all have our opinions, and I accept everyone's even if I don't agree with it completely, that's what reviews are all about 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Could the S5's have better cables, of course they can, but these are no worse to me than any other one I have in this price class, and they work for me just fine. And that's MY opinion, take it or leave it 
wink_face.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #133 of 728
Yeah, knew it wasn't meant in a bad way but did kinda read like a couple of thinly veiled shots, lol. Not an issue. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #134 of 728
Do you guys find you are listening to these slightly louder than you would normally?

I'm finding because of the presentation - my volume has crept up just a little - just so the vocals have a little more focus.  I'll have to get an SPL meter on them when I start really critical listening.

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #135 of 728
  Do you guys find you are listening to these slightly louder than you would normally?

I'm finding because of the presentation - my volume has crept up just a little - just so the vocals have a little more focus.  I'll have to get an SPL meter on them when I start really critical listening.

When listening on my Clip+, I have the volume up a bit over say my B2's, maybe a tick or two more. I guess every headset has it's volume "sweet spot" and to be honest this is the first time I ever thought about that. Let me know what the SPL meter says, you've peaked my curiosity on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back