Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Oct 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #724 of 728
I am SO bummed! My second pair of S5's has developed a 'rattle'. The first pair suddenly lost bass and upon further inspection something was loose in the left housing/driver. I contacted Audrey as it was a review pair and she kindly sent me another pair while I sent the first pair to one of their facilities in Florida for an 'autopsy' of sorts. Well now the second pair has developed something loose in the right side housing/driver. The bass is still there so I don't think it's become dislodged entirely like the first pair possibly did but I'm REALLY bummed. I am such a huge fan of the sound of the S5 and thought that they were built like a tank. I certainly don't baby my IEM's but I don't abuse them either. The only real abuse (if you want to call it that) is a lot of bouncing up and down when I run with them several times a week. I have to believe that it's somehow a QC problem now that it's happened to a 2nd pair. These were my daily drivers and I actually liked them as well or better than any IEM's I've ever heard. I'm a very sad Head Fi'er. 
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #725 of 728
@shockdoc please reach out to Pandora, she will help you get a replacement.

Many times the biggest factor to the demise of a pair of earphones will be sweat, its not the water but the salt and body oils in the sweat that get into and onto earphones, the salt and oils stay after the water has evaporated and will corrode and degrade the glue and solder joints. I would suspect that the glue holding the driver in place has degraded and is loose, usually the only thing within a earphone that can rattle is the driver, however we do also use a metal clip on the wire inside the housing to hold them in place, if they has come loose then it may start to rattle.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #726 of 728
  @shockdoc please reach out to Pandora, she will help you get a replacement.

Many times the biggest factor to the demise of a pair of earphones will be sweat, its not the water but the salt and body oils in the sweat that get into and onto earphones, the salt and oils stay after the water has evaporated and will corrode and degrade the glue and solder joints. I would suspect that the glue holding the driver in place has degraded and is loose, usually the only thing within a earphone that can rattle is the driver, however we do also use a metal clip on the wire inside the housing to hold them in place, if they has come loose then it may start to rattle.

Not necessarily worried about a replacement as much as the durability issue in general, but I posted mostly because I was curious if anyone else had had a similar problem or if I was harder on my 'phones than I realize. This is only the second IEM that I own or have owned that has failed/broken (the first was a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 3 that developed a short at the strain relief on one side in case anyone is curious).  Perhaps I was just extremely unlucky or maybe there is a CQ or even a small design issue. Either way, as a big fan of the sound sig.,  I'd love to help Brainwavz figure it out and rectify it if possible. I think that's one of the jobs of our little community here, to help each other find great sound and to help the manufacturers by giving honest reviews and feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back