Brainwavz Omega earphones: Steel fashion for the savvy on the budget!
Jan 13, 2016 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Salsera

Member of the Trade: Brainwavz
Brainwavz latest earphones the “Omega” have been designed to be sleek and made out of high quality steel which sits comfortably in ones ear. Sharp, crisp with high definition audio playback, the Omega are top notch for comfort and for style. A perfect choice for the audio and fashion savvy! 

The Brainwavz Omega comes in 3 bold colors: White, Black and Red&Blue together with a universal 3-button control built into the cable for both audio playback and microphone for audio calls. As the Omegas have been designed with comfort in mind, the earphones have been meticulously designed to sit comfortably inside the ear canal and for extra and added comfort: a complimentary set of Comply™ Foam tips are also included.

Get it today at Brainwavz Audio for just $15.00!

Specifications:
Drivers: Dynamic, 6 mm
Rated Impedance: 16 Ω
Frequency Range: 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz
Sensitivity: 98 dB at 1 mW
Rated Input Power: 3 mW
Cable: 1.2 m Y-Cord, Copper
Plug: 3.5 mm, Gold plated

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 32

Quote:
  Yes. Has anyone listened to them yet? Maybe compare/contrast to other Brainwavz models? 

The postman should bring them tomorrow,

then I'll take some time to listen to them,

but will be posting brief impressions on Saturday in this thread.

Then I'll pick one, two other IEMs for comparison,

listen for a couple of more days

to finally publish the full review.

Then I'll also definitely know whether I like them or not.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 32
[...] Magnum P.I. [...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...] Magnum P.I. [...]

Originally Posted by nmatheis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...] Magnum, p.i. [...]

How can you dare to forget the comma and write "p.i." in uppercase?! 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
 Nah, just kidding, buddy. 
beerchug.gif

What Star Trek is to you, Magnum, p.i. is to me.

Little more impressions to follow tomorrow, but here's a brief summary of the past hours, so take my post with a grain of salt (full review coming within the next two weeks): IEM bodies look and feel premium, nothing else at $15 that felt that good. Cable is just standard, but has a nice remote control on the right side. Sound quality isn't bad for the price, but the KZ HDS1 offers more for less (no night and day difference, however tighter, better resolving, less distortion, better control). Some driver flex. Initially thought to compare it with the HDS1 and the ADV.SOUND M4, but the M4 is sonically superior. Will see whether I leave it to the Omega/HDS1 comparison or throw in one or two other IEMs like the UE200 or such.

Nonetheless, solid performance for the price and easily better that the $10 Penon IEMs.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 32
Got my pair today...

I got the Red/Blue color scheme. Not the traditional red/right, left/blue for easy identification but a red trim with blue cable scheme. Early impression is that they included those craptastic tips(the gray ones) that I keep saying they should replace. A quick change shows that they again do no justice to the phone. A tighter, cleaner, less boomy sound could result with a better choice. Read about a case on the site "Earphone Hardcase" is the first accessory listed but they seemed to have changed that. With the bad silicone tips and no case the accs. are not anything to write home about. The velcro band/cable wrap is cute and there are a pair of Comply. The Brainwavz clip is sturdy but maybe a bit big for this phone and shaped to work best with the flat cable of the S series.

Cable, Y, and plug is very similar to the Delta. A little thin after the Y join but a nice little mic/remote is on the right side.

Housings are pretty bulletproof and the reliefs are robust and well shaped to use to pull out/push in the earphones including a little protrusion on the bottom.

OOTB sound impression is solid. Not as airy as some of the BW models but decent balance and some detail and resolution. Stock tips do hurt and smear it a bit and slant the bass more which takes it down a notch. I like the fit as well as they seem to slide right in for me and they are comfy so far.

More in my review. Early feedback is that they are likable but need those tips changed and nice little slim case or zip pouch, something smaller than the normal BW hard case, to give them a really competitive package.

These do seem to be a decent value sound-wise. I compared them, same tips on both, with the S3. The S3 puts you about 2 rows backs from the Omega and the stage is bigger to the edges. Other than that, I like the Omega a tiny bit better. A smidge cleaner sounding due to slightly more intelligible vocals and a better treble tone. Treble seems a bit closer to accurate and more natural. Vocals are a bit sweeter and and more engaging and again have a bit more intelligibility. Also, like the fit a bit better and I have always liked a lighter cable than the S flat cable though it probably won't be as durable. S3 remote is on the left wire while the Omega is on the right side now.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 32
Wanted to post some impressions on Saturday, totally forgot about that, so here are some of my thoughts after ~ 4 days after I head to work:

Sound quality is very solid for the money and so is build quality - the bodies are made of machined aluminium and feel very good.

Not as good as let's say a KZ HDS1 or UE200, however the difference isn't huge (about a half class). Better sound than what you'd probably normally expect for the price and also better than most of the IEMs you could find in the supermarket (thinking of some Panasonic and Philips buds for $10-30).

Tonality is fun but actually quite well done - treble is on the brighter side however very even and without narrow peaks or dips, the lows stay away from the midrange and sound less emphasised than they actually are (they raise very evenly, with their climax in the mid- and sub-bass (20 to ~ 80 Hz), the upper bass (100-150 Hz) is less emphasised (and so is the ground-tone above), wherefore there is no unnecessary ground-tone bloom or spilling into the mids).
Good tonality for low listening levels and the way the bass raises kind of reminds me of an adaption of a bass-boosted Harman target curve.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 32
Okay, so I talked to Pandora and they left out the case but hadn't change the site to reflect that at the time now it is up to date. In order to get the $15 price point and keep the packaging and shipping costs lower. It would have to go up a bit to enclose a case especially a hard case. I knew that pretty much from seeing the size of the box:)

Still just fine accessory wise for $15 pair with a 3 button remote. A pair of the Comply S-400, the clip, the velcro cable wrap, and S/M/L silicone tips. No issue with amount. Only issue for me still is the choice of silicone tips leaves some SQ on the table. Just not as "sharp and crisp" as they can be. I like the red core tips I got with the S1 a bit better as they are wider bore and a bit more airy and a little crisper/less smoothed over. 

Still burning my pair in and enjoying them. I think they edge out over all the other single driver Brainwavz earphones of recent vintage(think I've heard them all but the Jive) as far as a fun and enjoyable sound goes.

Look forward to hearing all the other impressions!
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 32
  Okay, so I talked to Pandora and they left out the case but hadn't change the site to reflect that at the time now it is up to date. In order to get the $15 price point and keep the packaging and shipping costs lower. It would have to go up a bit to enclose a case especially a hard case. I knew that pretty much from seeing the size of the box:)

Still just fine accessory wise for $15 pair with a 3 button remote. A pair of the Comply S-400, the clip, the velcro cable wrap, and S/M/L silicone tips. No issue with amount. Only issue for me still is the choice of silicone tips leaves some SQ on the table. Just not as "sharp and crisp" as they can be. I like the red core tips I got with the S1 a bit better as they are wider bore and a bit more airy and a little crisper/less smoothed over. 

Still burning my pair in and enjoying them. I think they edge out over all the other single driver Brainwavz earphones of recent vintage(think I've heard them all but the Jive) as far as a fun and enjoyable sound goes.

Look forward to hearing all the other impressions!
beerchug.gif

Really? Have you heard the S5? I think it's actually been discontinued but I (and I may be in the minority here) really found it to be a superb single driver IEM and superior in many ways to some dual driver IEM's I've heard and owned.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 32
Yes, the S5 perform better but you have to read what I wrote :) I find the Omega tuning more fun and enjoyable. I like the more forward mids to the more V S5, and the treble tone is  ever so slightly more real/less artificial in tone as well as not being a bit too elevated like on the S5. If you crank some sources esp. unamped the treble crossed the line if the sources amp pushed treble more when raised. The big S5 housing helped them sound quite larger than the Omega can and they won't beat them in overall extension nor detail retrieval. Still, I like the balance of the Omega, the sweeter more upfront vocals, and that it is nicely balanced and cohesive. The Omega certainly will trail some of the S models in certain areas but my declaration was of the general signature/tuning. And, of course, fun and enjoyment is in the subjective realm of taste. Though I do think HiFiChris some similar observations and that others will certainly enjoy them regardless of pricepoint.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 32
  Really? Have you heard the S5? I think it's actually been discontinued but I (and I may be in the minority here) really found it to be a superb single driver IEM and superior in many ways to some dual driver IEM's I've heard and owned.

The S5 for sure is not discontinued! Probably never ever will!
biggrin.gif

Also I must say The Brainwavz S5 is no competition for the Omega!
wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 32
  The S5 for sure is not discontinued! Probably never ever will!
biggrin.gif

Also I must say The Brainwavz S5 is no competition for the Omega!
wink_face.gif

Good to hear. Will all the S5's be with the mic? I preferred the first ones without the mic. At that price/quality point I use them for listening from a good source rather than a phone and find the mic/remote gets in my way...but now I'm just being nit picky. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 32
  Good to hear. Will all the S5's be with the mic? I preferred the first ones without the mic. At that price/quality point I use them for listening from a good source rather than a phone and find the mic/remote gets in my way...but now I'm just being nit picky. 
tongue_smile.gif

A bit
tongue_smile.gif

But yeah, S5 will be with mic.
Unfortunately for you, bigger part of our customers are more interested in functionality and is willing to take that bullet
wink_face.gif

For all we know they might not even hear/notice any difference haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back