Brainwavz M100 Earphones - New Release
Dec 6, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #16 of 46
Review is up

I love the aesthetics, accessories, and the sleekness of the housings, but the sounds needs some work. I found it to be too bassy, uncontrolled, and the treble is rolled off as to completely removed chimes and bells from certain tracks. With a little tuning the M100 would be sweet.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #17 of 46
just received a pair (courtesy of Brainwavz for review) and I couldn't agree more.  It feels like listening to a triple BA drive IEM in which the treble drivers are no longer working.  Super weird sound signature for sure.  Muddy, cluttered, congested, and zero treble detail.  I am almost wondering if they had a bad batch go out...I can't imagine anyone tuning an IEM to sound like this on purpose. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 46
just received a pair (courtesy of Brainwavz for review) and I couldn't agree more.  It feels like listening to a triple BA drive IEM in which the treble drivers are no longer working.  Super weird sound signature for sure.  Muddy, cluttered, congested, and zero treble detail.  I am almost wondering if they had a bad batch go out...I can't imagine anyone tuning an IEM to sound like this on purpose. 

Seems to be the consensus from everyone who got them so far

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #20 of 46
Yup, just measured these and have never come across a FR curve that looks like these. I'm also wondering if this is really the intended tuning or if something went awry...

Can you post your measurements?

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #22 of 46
Has anyone else also noticed driver flex when inserting or adjusting the fit?

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #23 of 46
Can you post your measurements?

Sure. Used the same rig for all three. Threw in some fairly common IEM for comparison. Remeasured the others at the same time to make sure something wasn't going awry with my rig. Nope. Measurements were spot on for all repeated measurements. Hmm...

Not so much. Certainly not as bad as some other DD IEM I've got.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #24 of 46

Considering that my plots are already diffuse-field compensated and show too little level around 3 and 6 kHz (http://frequency-response.blogspot.de/p/about-measurement-graphs.html), I'd say they're comparable to yours, @nmatheis.
(Please note that the Titan 5 has got a bit more bass quantity (just ca. 1 dB less than the M100) in one's ears due to that its vents are covered more in a real ear than in my coupler.)

I would say that this sounding is intentional and meant to represent a down-slope from the bass to the treble, however the problem with this is that the midrange is just too coloured.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #25 of 46

Considering that my plots are already diffuse-field compensated and show too little level around 3 and 6 kHz (http://frequency-response.blogspot.de/p/about-measurement-graphs.html), I'd say they're comparable to yours, @nmatheis.
(Please note that the Titan 5 has got a bit more bass quantity (just ca. 1 dB less than the M100) in one's ears due to that its vents are covered more in a real ear than in my coupler.)

I would say that this sounding is intentional and meant to represent a down-slope from the bass to the treble, however the problem with this is that the midrange is just too coloured.

A 30DB difference is quite a lot between the bass (80hz and lower) and the top end (the 10k area). Being used to neutral(ish) headphones and IEM's these just sound bad.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #26 of 46

A 30DB difference is quite a lot between the bass (80hz and lower) and the top end (the 10k area). Being used to neutral(ish) headphones and IEM's these just sound bad.

The 30 dB are up to debate as this is no professional grade measuring rig and has got some calibration errors (esp. around 3 and 6 kHz, sometimes also at 9), however yeah, there is very very little treble in relation to the bottom-end warmth and bass.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #27 of 46
The 30 dB are up to debate as this is no professional grade measuring rig and has got some calibration errors (esp. around 3 and 6 kHz, sometimes also at 9), however yeah, there is very very little treble in relation to the bottom-end warmth and bass.

Well, it does match the drop off I measured on my decidedly non-professional rig pretty well, so I think we've captured the essence fairly well...

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #28 of 46

Yes.  The right side is worse than the left, but both seem to crinkly loudly when I insert them into my ears.  Overall the M100 is just a big nope from what it sounds like. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #29 of 46
Why would Brainwavz even release this. Just got my pair from another member. Simply terrible. Bass is way too midfocused and boomy, mids are muddy, veiled, a big mess, treble comes out but I swear some notes are completely removed from tracks. Build is awesome. These don't warrant $80-90. Hell, these are barely sellable when you compare to offerings such as the KZ ATE for $10 or VJJB K4 for $18, two examples of sub $20 offerings which are really good and easily are way better than the M100.

Something went wrong with this tuning and BWz was warned yet still are releasing them? Makes no sense and hurts the reputation of the company, I've heard their new BA offering is very good though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back