Brainwavz M1 or Beta? Getting one today! - Help needed.
Nov 18, 2011 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

albert2mi

New Head-Fier
Good day.

I've been reading tons of posts and reviews here in Head-fi, and decided to join the community to ask this specific question. :)

I bought the MEElec M6 4 days ago here in Philippines. I still have 3 days to replace it, either with the Brainwavz M1 or the new Beta's, as I was disappointed with the fit of the M6 (producing horrible vocals when not in place properly).

Digital Walker has these available, and all three are within my budget:

MEElec M6 (clear)
PhP1,490 (around US$39)

Brainwavz Beta (V2)
PhP1,450 (roughly US$38)

Brainwavz M1
PhP1,850 (roughly US$47)

**all prices stated include local tax, and all units come with 1 year warranty

I own an iPod touch (4th gen), loaded with songs not less than 192kbps, all in .mp3 format.
Artists are: Dashboard Confessional, Maroon 5, The All-American Rejects, Jason Mraz, Coldplay, Incubus, John Mayer, The Fray, Switchfoot, Linkin Park.

I prefer clarity and soundstage/separation over bass. I dont mind less punchy bass (as long as they're clean and not at all muddy) as I tend to listen more to songs with mostly guitars. Clean vocals and guitars would suit me best, as well as controlled bass with sufficient amounts. Noise isolation wouldn't be too much of a problem as I will be using them at home, and on light commutes. 

The Brainwavz Beta's are readily available today, so I can get the exchange immediately, while I have to wait for at least a week for the M1s. Is the M1 worth the wait and the +US$10 compared to the Beta? I can wait a week, but It'll be better to have the cans as soon as today - the reason I'm considering the Beta's.

MEElec M9's are available, as well as the Alpha's for about US$25, though I'm sure they're not an upgrade option coming from the M6. :D

Thanks guys!
- Albert Two

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 8
From what I've read the Betas are bass-heavy and may or may not be too much for you.  I do know that the M1s are fairly balanced overall with really good sound, mids, highs and bass are all there with nothing really too overpowering.  However, I can't make any comparisons since I haven't heard any other IEMs.  All I remember about the M6s was the really powerful bass along with the sibilant highs. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 8
The M6 sounded wonderful at one point, and they felt the most comfortable at that time - but I never achieved them again after. I had hard time sitting the M6 on my ears. They were either bass-muddy because of either putting them in too deep, or just right, OR very little bass but good vocals in exchange for isolation as I have them almost slightly in my ears. I can't get the right fir, no, the perfect fit. The tri-flanges were great -soundstage, isolation and separation, and all that. But they were the hardest ones to fit. The bi-flanges were too big, and the single ones were too shallow with very little noise isolation, maybe because the M6 was too shallow in design compared to other IEMs that are a little longer.

Don't get me wrong, the M6 was spectacular the time I had the right fit. I felt the separation, although not at all that airy. :)

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 8
So.. the M1's worth the cash and the wait?

I want to believe that M1 sounds better in at least most of the parts than the Beta, but it's the sound signature that matters to me. :D

My principle is having a good performing IEM that makes me enjoy *MY* tracks, and not all tracks (like what US$200-ish IEMs do). so if the M1 will deliver better sounds than the Beta's with my kind of music, then I'll wait. 

so far +1 for both these IEMs. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back