Brainwavz HM9: First Impressions(Take 2)
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dragon2knight

Account disabled by request.

I just got in a set of Brainwavz HM9 Full Sized Headphones in a few days ago for evaluation 
color]
 I've been listening to them for over 25 hours now, with few breaks in between to judge long wearing comfort, and with several different type of music. I can state right off that these are, thankfully, nothing like Beats...a problem with lots of bass emphasized headphones. The signature definitely edges towards the bottom end, but in a good way, not an over powering way. There is a full soundstage at play here, with some really nice separation, and no muddiness at all. 

The bass end is rich and full, with many layers to it, easily separating the Bass from a guitar from a Bass drum. The high end is also well represented, with a full range to it, but zero sibilance rearing it's ugly head. The mid range is the only thing I'm feeling could be better represented here, it's not missing, but it isn't as center stage as the rest of the signature. This isn't "V" shaped, not in the least, just not as strong as a, say, neutral set would have been. A little bit of EQ fiddling fixed this right up, though, so it really isn't a problem that cant be fixed. All told, this has a full, rich great sounding signature, one that would fit right in with those looking for a strong soundstage for many different types of music, especially modern pop. 

I like the three sets of cables that came with the HM9's. The two main cables are flat wired and are of differing lengths, one shorter one for travel, and another much longer one for home use. They seem sturdy and plug into the left ear cup(this is a single wire solution, not a dual as the HM5's were, I like that, less clutter). Also included is a rounded shorter length mobile mic'd cable. I tested it with my new Nokia 521 Windows 8 phone and it seemed to be recognized well, and a few phone calls revealed it to work great, with both good sound quality outgoing and incoming, nice. I could not answer a call, though, but I could terminate it. Always gonna be a compromise here with these mic'd solutions. I'll try it on my older Android phone later on and report back on its effectiveness.(EDIT: I tried it with my Samsung Galaxy S2 and had no problems with it at all. All worked as it should). As for fit, the HM9's have big, fluffy, comfortable memory foam ear pads that sit ON the ear mostly, but have conformed to sit partially over my ear(the top part) after around 10 hours of use. It has little clamping force...a good and a bad thing. Good for comfort, bad for staying put on your head with a lot of movement, so these wouldn't be my first choice in the gym, but they do clamp enough to stay put with normal activities like walking and sudden head movements. Build quality is above average here, with strong construction and really high end materials used, like aluminium and strong, but light, plastic. I also like the little touches, like a little bit of foam on the inside edge at the top of the ear cup to prevent it from getting damaged by the metal(see pic), nice. I like the overall design as a whole, with a modern look, it looks better than I thought it would on my head. And thankfully it doesn't try to emulate Beats, too many trying to do that already. The folding aspect is also a nice one, as I travel a lot and it makes the included case more compact for easy packing.

I used my Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ as well as my Nokia 521 Windows Phone for testing purposes, with no external amplification. 

I will update this as I go along, and welcome any comments :) I may do a video review of these, if interested let me know and I'll post it here.

Here is the link to buy them from mp4nation.net:   http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm9-headphones-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 17
My thanks to the mod who eliminated the original post, anyone who reads this, how do you remove and add new photo's to a post that's already done? It's just not like the way everyone else does it here. Thanks ahead of time for any help :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 17
I preordered mine last week. I'm hoping the HM9s will be able to replace my DT770s which I currently use for monitoring.

Edit: How well do these isolate compared to other closed back phones you have?

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
I preordered mine last week. I'm hoping the HM9s will be able to replace my DT770s which I currently use for monitoring.

Edit: How well do these isolate compared to other closed back phones you have?

I just used them on the NYC subway for over 3 hours yesterday, and they isolated very well, at least as good as my HM5's do. You will do better in this respect with a good fitting in ear, but these are no slouch's at blocking outside noise.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 17
It may be bass oriented, but it has a balanced signature, not so bottom end that it colors the music too much. That's what makes this one special :) I understand the looks aren't for everyone, but at least it isn't too offensive :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 17
Got them today, listened to them out of the box for about 7 hours now and I must say the HM9s are the most analytical and unforgiving headphones I currently have (HD598, DT770, even my TF10s[not a headphone but it's considered an analytical IEM]), anything below 256kbps sounds like radio (maybe I have exaggerated but I can tell if part of the music spectrum was cut) and I'm hearing much more detail in songs/music than ever. I hear breathing/fingers touching instruments/etc which I was always aware of but never this clearly.

Edit: Could the analytical-ness be caused by the brand new drivers since they still haven't broken in?

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 17
I'd say the HM9s are fine for music, it excels at separating instruments and vocals. Not so good for competitive gaming though, positional audio does not work on these and you're better off keeping stereo settings if you game with them.

The sound signature is definitely V shaped with recessed mids, Vocals sometimes has a mind of its own because on some recordings they come forward and some sound really far back. There is also a significant bump in the mid bass. Sub bass is there but the quantity is only a fraction of my DT770

HM9 <- Fiio E09k <- Titanium HD

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 17
  I'd say the HM9s are fine for music, it excels at separating instruments and vocals. Not so good for competitive gaming though, positional audio does not work on these and you're better off keeping stereo settings if you game with them.

The sound signature is definitely V shaped with recessed mids, Vocals sometimes has a mind of its own because on some recordings they come forward and some sound really far back. There is also a significant bump in the mid bass. Sub bass is there but the quantity is only a fraction of my DT770

HM9 <- Fiio E09k <- Titanium HD

I just read this. The signature, while not at all neutral, doesn't have too much of a dip in the midrange to say they are V shaped. The mids are there, just not as pronounced as the rest of the signature. Folks on here throw around the V shaped moniker way too much without realizing what it actually means. V shaped is when there is an almost dearth of midrange, like almost none at all, and the lows and highs are all you hear. The HM9's aren't like this at all. The mids are there, just not as well as the rest of signature. Not V shaped at all. Some vocals come through as being not too sharp, or not as powerful as they were recorded to sound...but it is more than enough to enjoy the song without feeling like it's being recessed. A little tweaking with my EQ fixed this right up, and that was that.
No headphone short of a dead neutral set is going to be even throughout its entire signature, and it's up to you to decide if some sigs are worth the trouble to fix up and use daily or not. I like the least offensive sigs that are easy to tune up, and the HM9's are really easy to get to sound the way I like it(closer to neutral), making them a good match for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back