Brainwavz HM5 (Fa-003 variant) with $50 amp vs ATH-M50
Sep 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dehaha1

New Head-Fier
Alrighty, so a little while ago, I was recommended the Beyerdynamic DT 770; however, I then heard many places that it reveals sibilance quite a bit, and since one of the main uses I will use the headphones for is watching anime and listening to music in Japanese, which have a TON of sibilance, I decided that these would not make the cut.

Other than the earlier listed things, I will be skyping, watching videos, playing games, and listening to a bunch of music. The music I listen to is just about anything; however, I tend to gravitate towards J-Pop, or things with female vocals, piano's, violins, guitars, and percussion.

So, with that in mind, I have basically nailed it down to two contestants.

The ATH-M50's and the Brainwavz HM5's with an amp around $40-50

So my main question is, If the HM5's had an amp like the Fiio E11 (Just found out that the E11 doesn't work while charging), would it have deeper bass than the M50's without an amp?

Which one has better comfort, or can get better comfort for semi cheap, as these will sometimes be used for 10+ hours at a time?

Which one leaks less sound, as that is important?

Also, I guess in general, are there any pro's and con's between each other that you could bestow upon me?

If you need anymore information, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 20
Heya,

I would get the HM5 personally. Better sound stage. More isolation. Detachable cable. Big thick pads. Nicely balanced. And leaves room for other things.

Do you need a portable device for driving them? The Fiio E10 would be an excellent way to get a nice DAC/AMP on your computer to use these with. Or are you using a mobile device?

Very best,

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 20
They will mainly be used on my computer that has only a built in sound card, and a laptop. I will, however, be getting a top of the line android phone in the coming months, so the amp being portable would be a little helpful; however, if the non mobile one will sound way better, I can get a mobile one someday down the line.

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 20
I haven't heard the Brainwavz but I consider my M50's more harsh (sibilant) in the treble than my DT880's, which are already a bright can. But other than that, they're pretty good cans. Nice isolation and comfort, good bass (gets uncontrolled at times), and excellent build quality, good sound for the price.

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 20
This seems to have died... DEFIBRILLATOR!!! 

Anyway, does anyone who has listened to both have an idea for if it's possible?

If I can't get at least similar bass to the m50's when the HM5's have a $50 amp, then can you recommend a headset with similar quality and sibilance, as well as bass, while having a better soundstage? Please remember though, they need to have minimal leakage to the outside, and be able to be worn for very lon extended periods of time, like around the 10+ hour mark.

Also please, remember that I really don't want to go that much higher than around $150-160, as when I've asked before, people keep on recommending setups that are around $200.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 20
  Is this a hard question, or has this thread basically just died?

For a budget setup.
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), sells for around $50 on eBay.
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27.99 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month (Newegg).
The DG's will only help with the desktop PC, but it's low cost and should be a somewhat match for the Fiio E10 in sound quality.
And it still leaves you with a good chunk of your budget for buying something else (not sure what).

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 20
*Huff Huff* CLEAR!!!

I'm worried that I'm going to just need to make a new thread soon, as it seems people are losing interest... Or would that technically be against the rules?

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 20
*Huff Huff* CLEAR!!!

I'm worried that I'm going to just need to make a new thread soon, as it seems people are losing interest... Or would that technically be against the rules?

Did you research yet in existing HM5 and M50 owners/review threads? Good place to learn more :) Just google the headphone model with head-fi as a keyword. You'll probably find lots of info :)

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 20
i have the HM5 and also the Audio Technica AHT Pro700MK2 (which is considered the older DJ brother of the M50) and i would say the HM5 is better. I do have the E11 and would say that even without amping, the HM5 does sound better just because it is more balanced.
Good luck

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #14 of 20
I was almost sure of that, but I still have a question, which is about the bass, as while hearing everything is awesome and something I really want, I need a good amount of bass, otherwise I don't enjoy the headphones.

So basically my question is, with about a 50 dollar amp, can I increase the bass in the hm5's by a good amount?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #15 of 20
Then you need different headphones...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430

Check the sound comparison at the bottom, both HM5 and M50 are compared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back