Brainwavz Delta: Budget Done Right!
Oct 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
The Brainwavz Delta are the new entry level earphone rounding out the trio to go along with the mid-level S1 and the top of the line R3. They bring a mix of traits seen in the other releases and fit right in nicely. An easy to recommend offering that does little wrong. Thanks to Raz for the Delta sample. You can find the Delta here...

http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/delta.html

Pics(click to enlarge)...

Specifications

1. Driver - Dynamic, 8mm
  2. Rated Impedance 16 Ω
  3. Frequency Range 20Hz ˜ 20kHz
  4. Sensitivity 100 dB @ 1 mW
  5. Rated Input Power 2 mW
  6. Cable 1.3m, Y-Cord, Copper
  7. Plug 3.5mm Gold Plated

Contents & Accessories

1. Comply™ Foam Tips x 1 pair (S-Series)
  2. Silicone Ear Tips x 3 pair (S/M/L)
  3. Manual x 1
  4. Warranty Card x 1 (12 Months)

Contents/Specifications subject to change

Accessories...
As listed above you get a more entry level accessory kit. The tip selection is lighter than the higher models but quality with a pair of Comply tips and good quality silicone tips in S/M/L. Absent is any form of case. 

Fit And isolation...
Fit is really good for me. The small reliefs help with the fit especially over the ear. The isolation is above average and the most of the three Brainwavz models in my experience. The Delta have the shortest sound tube so straight down wearing may be trickier as far as getting the best seal possible but longer tips make it easier if needed. Longer tips may also make the vocals come forward a bit if you want that. The stock silicone tips are more "grippy" and give more bass and warmth. A different material tip can give less bass and warmth if you choose. Microphonics are not an issue worn over the ear. Wearing them straight down gives some but it is minimal if you use the cord slider to the right length. After two days using them outdoors, I find wind noise is not an issue for the Delta. As usual, fit is subjective, so your results may vary. 

Build...
The Delta build quality is excellent and impressive for the price. Less beefy than the higher offerings but similar materials and fit/finish. Again all metal housings with mesh screens to protect from debris. A rubbery cable that is nicely thick before the Y and thins outs after it. The portion after the Y is longer to allow for over the ear use for most any height individual. Being a bit thin after the Y might not make them less durable but the Delta's cables do braid themselves together quite readily so the cord slider will be very useful. The Y, plug, and reliefs are again well done. Quality rubber in a faded red color that is strong and flexible but smaller than what is on the S1 and R3. The short reliefs make them good for straight down or over the ear wearing styles and they should work well with many ear guides though they do not come with any.

Sound...
Present in the Delta's sound are mix of traits present in the other new phones. They clearly come from the same line. The sound is less forward and aggressive then the S1 and closer to the smoothness of the R3. The Delta is more open and spacious than the S1 and not as big or distant as the R3. They still have the house tone/timbre, good dynamics, layering, and positioning within the whole stage. More of the fun like in the S1 but less colored. The extension is well done for an entry level phone. The trait of a well controlled mid-bass is present in the Delta again making the lowest bass the focus. This makes the bass extension seem really good and it is for the price. Treble extension is nice for a ~$20 phone and also airy and open sounding. The treble and higher vocals are sibilance free due to the Delta's smoothness.

The overall frequency balance is good with a slight U shape. The mids are very slight back and longer tips can bring them even if desired. The mids are slightly warm and sweet and again show some emotion. People have commented that they like the Delta better than the VSD1 and I like the Delta sound better as well. The Vsonic is just a dryer sound and the Delta is sweeter and smoother and again has the lowered mid bass that suits me better. Detail and resolution is again above the price you pay but stops short of the higher models. Great for all kinds of sources and music files as they resolve and sepaprate enough to not feel your miss anything but they are still forgiving for podcasts, radio reception, and bad recordings. The Delta pull off a wonderful balance of a slightly warm enjoyable sound that still sounds open, clear, uncompressed, and well layered out allowing you to here everything that is there. It stops short of revealing flaws, being analytical, or picky of any source/file. No worries just plug in and enjoy! 

Overall...
Other than not coming with a little pouch of some sort and the earpieces tendency to tangle up, there are nothing but positives for the Delta. A strong offering for $22.50 that brings a comfortable fit, good build quality, and a spacious and very competent sound that is thoroughly enjoyable and very agreeable. Worth the price and hard not to like!

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Excellent. I can not wait to get mines in. These will be my last budget IEMs before I go for mid-tier sets. Hopefully this ends my budget run with a bang, well a nonboomy bang that's well textured.:wink:

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Been using the Delta out at the park recently and find that they do well with wind noise and the extra cord length after the Y can be good for routing them over the ear. Still, I find that just using the cord slider is good enough to tame microphonics and stick with wearing them straight down.

Still, needs to be said to run these in for a while as the extra bit of detail and texture doesn't show up for a little while. Something that is shared with the other new Brainwavz models, IME. They might clear up a bit in the first 24 hours but some detail and refinement comes later even though the clarity might have stopped changing ealier.

Any new toy syndrome has since passed and these Delta's still impress with a big, spacious, smooth and immersive/fun sound!

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 13
i bought the delta's based on this thread, and well, there wasn't much i can say where the listening experience matched up with the one expressed here. the Delta's were a bit unruly and unsofisticated in the bass, and there was little separation and clarity in the mids that wasn't just AVERAGE at best. The highs were decent. I'd say the timbre and clarity in the highs made for the only truly good experience (IMHO) with the Delta's. The driver flex was atrocious no matter what tips were used, and though the build quality and cords are way ahead of similarly priced units, at the end of the day it's not what makes the IEM...sound does. I know why these iem's aren't gaining much traction the way the FX 40's or VSD1S have..they really aren't in their league. These have an imbalanced "balanced" sound, and it makes for a less that stellar experience. IMHO. Everyone's experience with iem's is personal and different. My love of the HA-FXT90 is all encompassing, and many don't share that opinion. :) Thanks anyways though for at least making these aware so i could get an experience out of them.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 13
I would say that if you run them out of your sources headphone out, that could explain the differences. The lower Sony's and the Sansa left me cause of their bass was looser and lacked detail/refinement. Even now after long letting go those players I loaned some things out and the differences show. My favorite buds need some bass cause my S639 and my other players have tighter better defined lows. My friend uses his Sansa player and says they don't need more bass. The same buds are slower and the bass is thicker and don't lack bass. Just what I would have expected and, in my case, I can see hearing better bass than you do because of the gear in the same way.

The Delta's stock tips are fun sounding but also not the best to bring out the best bass quality. I didn't get much flex at all and if you are that might just mean too much seal which will thicken the bass and lead to more bloat and less refinement. They just don't fit me that deeply where I get flex unless I go over the ear style.

So, everyone is different and you try things. Then you tweak, burn them in and figure out how to get the best out them. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. I don't think the XBA-40 are quite as underwhelming for others as they were for me. Some get along fine with them.

You try, you see what's what, you move on. I'm glad a majority do seem to like them. I hope no one expects too much since they are ~$20(expect more smooth fun than sheer technical ability at this price) entry level phones but they are quite enjoyable if you get along with them.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 13
I am using the Deltas with some imetal tips that bring out the details and firm the low end. I found the Deltas do not pair well with my Sansa Clip, but sound really good out if my iPhone's headphone output. It is all about synergy. The Deltas are very capable and high end earbuds.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 13
I like the quadbeats more but I go for these when I want bass. These remind me of a more refined M9.

X2.

Which quadbeats 1 or 2?

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 13
  I would say that if you run them out of your sources headphone out, that could explain the differences. The lower Sony's and the Sansa left me cause of their bass was looser and lacked detail/refinement. Even now after long letting go those players I loaned some things out and the differences show. My favorite buds need some bass cause my S639 and my other players have tighter better defined lows. My friend uses his Sansa player and says they don't need more bass. The same buds are slower and the bass is thicker and don't lack bass. Just what I would have expected and, in my case, I can see hearing better bass than you do because of the gear in the same way.

The Delta's stock tips are fun sounding but also not the best to bring out the best bass quality. I didn't get much flex at all and if you are that might just mean too much seal which will thicken the bass and lead to more bloat and less refinement. They just don't fit me that deeply where I get flex unless I go over the ear style.

So, everyone is different and you try things. Then you tweak, burn them in and figure out how to get the best out them. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. I don't think the XBA-40 are quite as underwhelming for others as they were for me. Some get along fine with them.

You try, you see what's what, you move on. I'm glad a majority do seem to like them. I hope no one expects too much since they are ~$20(expect more smooth fun than sheer technical ability at this price) entry level phones but they are quite enjoyable if you get along with them.

It might have to do with my sources. I use amps too, so it didn't help much, nor did EQ'ing, but you might be right? Since selling my Cowon and my newer generation Sony dying, I've hads to use my old school Sony and my Sansa. I do find that the Sansa with the amp does have quite a bit of depth and refinement. though maybe not the best bass refinement?

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 13
Sold my Quadbeats 2 as part of the deal with the Delta's. The Quads were great, but I had to sweeten the pot, along with the FX 40. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 13
The quadbeats are probably the very best high end audio earphones made for smartphones. More so than the MH1C, because the cord design of the MH1C forever made them completely useless for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back