Brainwavz Beta or DUNU Trident?
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

G_T_J

500+ Head-Fier
Well, what would be your choice between Brainwavz Beta and DUNU Trident?

I've had the Betas for a year now for use mainly in the gym and they have served me quite well all this time. Excellent comfort (I used to wear them over the ear) and very good sound for the money. Problem is that after a year of heavy use, the earphone plug has been damaged and they are now practically unusable.

I had been seriously considering buying another pair of betas until I came across the option of buying the Tridents instead which are considered to be more durable. Does anyone have any idea on how these sound compared to the Betas?

I would also be interested  in any other option for under 20 pounds. I wouldn't want to exceed that price tag because I already own the TF10s and the R1s for more 'serious' listening. The new pair I'm planning to buy is for gym use and HAS TO be durable.

Thanks everyone for any possible answer.

EDIT: I'm adding the RHA MA-350s in the options.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard any of these, but was recently looking to replace my Meelec CW31, and was debating between the DUNU Trident and RHA MA-350. After doing some head-fi research, the MA-350 is pretty similar to the Trident, but has a more fatiguing treble (though this may not be an issue at the gym). Otherwise, build quality, etc. is fairly similar, though people seemed less enthusiastic about the MA-350 in general. Tridents should be arriving soon (my choice) so I can update if you want.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 11
Thank you very much for your reply. Actually you've been extra helpful because the aw31s is another contender to replace my Betas. So, -judging from what you've written above- Tridents are also an improvement over the aw31. Right?

Problem is that i am a bit unpatient as I got no music at the gym right now and this is something I have to resolve asap :)

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 11
I own the Trident, they're the best in build quality for their price range, sound is on the warm side but not too much, soundstage is good, bass are not overwhelming, mids are fine and highs are slightly recessed for fatigue free listening.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Tridents are still going strong after having them after over a year, warmer sound than betas but better built

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 11
My Tridents just arrived, and I'm quite impressed. They have more low-end punch than the Meelec CW31 that they are replacing, but not to the point that it overwhelms. Much more listening to be done, but after an hour or so, off to a good start. Can't go wrong with the Tridents.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 11
isolation is slightly better, clarity is about on par... basically, everything is as good or better with the Tridents (though many things only slightly). biggest difference is that fullness on the low end is more pronounced with the Tridents, but I wouldn't call it "boomy"

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 11
Thank you very much for the comparison with the CW31. They were one of the strongest contenders to replace my Betas and obviously I've made the right decision choosing the Tridents over them.

It would also be very interesting if someone could compare the Tridents with the Betas. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back