Braiding long cables
Mar 14, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Assuming you're talking about finding which wire is which rather than braiding errors there are three options that I can think of:

1. Colour code the wires.  Could be done by writing on the insulation in permanent marker (different colours, 1 dot/ring for left, two for right...) or by attaching stickers.

2. Strip the ends in a recognisable way.  Assuming you're doing a single ended headphone recable leave both grounds unstripped, strip a little of the left side and noticably more of the right.  Write it down as it might be a while and you might forget with all the excitement of braiding.

3. The most professional and only method that can't go wrong is to use a multimeter in continuity mode.  When you touch both ends of the same wire it will beep, then you know which wire you've got.

Have fun!

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 7
No, identifying the strands is easy. I wonder how the braiding process itself is done. I am loosing my nerves with juggling the wire spools, especially if the cable is longer than a metre or two.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 7
No, identifying the strands is easy. I wonder how the braiding process itself is done. I am loosing my nerves with juggling the wire spools, especially if the cable is longer than a metre or two.

May 12, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 7
  For me it is was practice, rinse repeat rinse repeat. Also might help to try an 8 strand braid, makes 4 seem much easier.

I found 8 wires lots easier than 4.

Use Kumihimo for 8 :)
4 wires can be done with Kumihimo but lot more complicated than doing it by hand but anything else, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32 etc use Kumihimo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back